Chatter underway with engine

Apr 2, 2018
Catalina 310 175 Lake Hartwell, Georgia
Our 2002 310 (#175) makes a noticeable "chattering" sound when underway via engine. It has something to do with the drive train, since the sound is absent when in neutral. It also is less noticeable at some engine speeds than others. I've checked the obvious stuff: transmission good on fluid, prop is not loose on shaft, doesn't appear to have any play in shaft at cutlass bearing/strut. Engine only has 300 or so hours. Any ideas?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Clattering (as opposed to Mr. Ed :^))) ????

First, does it evidence itself when you idle the engine faster?
Secondly, does it appear in reverse and in forward?
Thirdly, does it change "frequency" when you increase RPM's.

Could be any number of things. Let's start with those questions.

I assume you've checked the belts and attachment of the alternator and any other stuff on the engine. Check the bolts and make sure you're "tight" in the forward side of the engine.

Then look at the coupling to the drive shaft. Check that all of the five (or whatever) bolts are tight. Look at the stuffing box/shaft seal. Make sure that is secured. (I assume you're shipping no water when underway -- unless you have a stuffing box which might let a few drops through? I assume your shaft looks like it's "true" and has no visible vibration.

Does the engine move around on it's mounts or "just clatter"?

What type of engine is it?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Dampener plate. It's one of the few know issues with our boats. Catalina cheaped out and used one with a plastic ribbon instead of metal springs. Search this forum and you should find all the answers.
Good luck.

Apr 2, 2018
Doesn't appear to be any louder or more noticable when first shifting in FWD.

Apr 2, 2018
SG,
Thanks for the questions. To answer in order: "chatter" not present in idle, only in forward; haven't noticed while in reverse, does not change frequency, but the faster the engine RPM, the faster the chatter. I sould also mention the sound is not coming from the engine area itself, but is most noticable in the cockpit, like it's coming from the drive shaft, trans, etc.
Shaft seal if dry, no signs of vibration, there but there is a bit more engine "shaking" a various speeds than I would expect. It is a Universal M25XPB engine.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Doesn't appear to be any louder or more noticable when first shifting in FWD.
That's either a really good sign or a really bad sign. Hard to diagnose over the internet which fosters lots of guessing. I won't do that but rather suggest you might want to invest in the cost of a marine mechanic to listen to it. The cause should be obvious to any good one.

Apr 2, 2018
Don,
Thanks. I understand and agree, it's a hard one to figure out online. Unfortunately, marine mechanics are very hard to come by in this part of GA, but I will see what I can do. Thanks again.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Sounds like it may be vibration combined with a worn cutlass bearing. Can you tell where it's coming from?

Apr 2, 2018
Mark,
Sounds like it's coming from "below the cockpit", which I know is not too specific. As far as the cutlass bearing, it was replaced in Feb 2016, when the boat was hauled and bottom painted. Suggestions on where I should listen while underway to pinpoint?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Mark,
Sounds like it's coming from "below the cockpit", which I know is not too specific. As far as the cutlass bearing, it was replaced in Feb 2016, when the boat was hauled and bottom painted. Suggestions on where I should listen while underway to pinpoint?
I've noticed a (possibly) similar sound in our 310, especially in gear at the dock (we use a mid ship spring line under tension to leave and come into the dock). I don't notice it underway. Cutlass bearing was just replaced, but I don't know if the damper plate has ever been done, although there is a rubber/plastic vibration reducing coupler installed-don't know if that was original? 2200 engine hours, might be getting time for that one. :yikes:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Our 2002 310 (#175) makes a noticeable "chattering" sound when underway via engine. It has something to do with the drive train, since the sound is absent when in neutral. It also is less noticeable at some engine speeds than others. I've checked the obvious stuff: transmission good on fluid, prop is not loose on shaft, doesn't appear to have any play in shaft at cutlass bearing/strut. Engine only has 300 or so hours. Any ideas?
Can't help you with your engine issue but wanted to say that I owned a house on Lake Hartwell for about 14 years - near the town of Hartwell in the Reed Creek area. Was going to retire there until an unexpected move to the coast. Had a Rhodes 22 during that time and bought my 310 when we sold that house. Anyway, the only mechanics that I know of were at Big Water Marina where most of the sailboats reside. Where do you keep your 310? Awesome lake especially when they keep the water levels up.
bob

Apr 2, 2018
Bob,
This fits in the "small world" category! We're in Reed Creek as well. We had our 310 at Big Water util about a year ago, now it's on a private dock closer to our home. We love the lake and plan to retire here. Thanks for reaching out. Be well.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Below the cockpit is where the cutlass bearing would be. If you have vibration from a bent shaft or the engine/shaft being out of alignment it will wear out the cutlass bearing quickly. My boat is currently on the hard for this very issue.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
A number of us have been through this. You do not need to be a mechanic (or even especially talented) to fix this. The most likely culprits are: 1) Damper Plate, 2) Motor Mounts, 3) Shaft Alignment, 4) Cutless Bearing. Most of us have been there and done that. Looks for posts by myself, witzend and PaulJ. My major rattle was the damper plate, the knock was a bad motor mount.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you have a conventional prop or folding one or?
Do you have zincs in the shaft?
Has some dove to inspect the prop and shaft?

The suggestions on the damper plate is. Not something I would have guessed, but it's possible.
A bent shaft is less likely, to ,e, you would see some sigm, I would guess

There are situations with a folding or feathering or even a fixed prop has an issue.

There are times when picking up a line on the shaft with a knot or lure can be slapping the hull. it can also cause a weed walker cutting action over time. Also a wrapped line can imbalance the shaft or prop.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Do you have a conventional prop or folding one or?
Do you have zincs in the shaft?
Has some dove to inspect the prop and shaft?

The suggestions on the damper plate is. Not something I would have guessed, but it's possible.
A bent shaft is less likely, to ,e, you would see some sigm, I would guess

There are situations with a folding or feathering or even a fixed prop has an issue.

There are times when picking up a line on the shaft with a knot or lure can be slapping the hull. it can also cause a weed walker cutting action over time. Also a wrapped line can imbalance the shaft or prop.
Problems with a prop, fouling a prop, loose shaft zinc, etc.. would likely be more noticeable as RPM increases which didn't sound like what he described. But good things to check routinely regardless.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
He did say that the frequency of "chatters" [a/k/a 'clattering' ;^)))] increase with the increase in RPM's???

Thanks for the questions. To answer in order: "chatter" not present in idle, only in forward; haven't noticed while in reverse, does not change frequency, but the faster the engine RPM, the faster the chatter. I sould also mention the sound is not coming from the engine area itself, but is most noticeable in the cockpit, like it's coming from the drive shaft, trans, etc.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Just a wild, outside-the-box idea, but I noticed a sort of metal-on-metal chattering sound after replacing a shaft, Cutlass, strut, and changing a prop two tears ago. It terrified me. Turns out it was the wheel autopilot hardware, picking up a resonance frequency vibration at a single, narrow band of RPM. Could that be it? We only heard it in the cockpit.

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
I would bet the clattering is a result of a miss aligned shaft. There is only a small distance between shaft and hull, if not centered correctly the shaft will hit hull from engine vibration. It will infact increase with engine RPM. Good luck