centerboard penant rigging for 76 O;day 20

Mar 19, 2015
Oday 20 Lake Hartwell SC
Hey folks, I have a 1976 O'day 20 which I'm working on which has a small tube running between the cockpit sole and the hull that has been rednecked over the years,and it works but is terribly ugly under my main hatchway.My question is this; Does anyone have any pics of how the original system was arranged? What is there is basically a small through deck fitting at the bottom of the hatchway which meets a possibly 5 inch peice of plastic tubing that goes down to another throughull fitting at the aft end of the centerboard trunk,and te penant goes through all this to the board. I really would appriciate any photos from the time period of O'days in this size range.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
You should do a search of the archives on this site; many have posted the exact photos you are looking for. That set up is pretty consistent for the Oday trailerables: the pendent line into the cockpit, running through the tube in the cabin and down into the centerboard trunk. What exactly is your question? I don't know what it means that the hull has been "rednecked", and how that impacts the centerboard controls. If you have pictures of your boat and the problem, maybe someone here can give you some suggestions.

Mar 19, 2015
Oday 20 Lake Hartwell SC
Hello Mike, What I should have said was that what is there is covered up with an amalgamation of something like instant epoxy(a hardening putty)and then I would assume a bronze through hull with a hose barb.Although it doesn't leak I feel the prudent thing to do is to inspect and reseal the throughhull. At the moment I have removed the mast step, the pulpit and lifeline stantions,all throughdeck screws,countersunk all the holes and will reseal with butyl tape(the method of wrapping beads of caulk around srewheads,pushing through hardware,add another bead of caulk around screw,push through deck and turn only the nut)all parts coming off are then cleaned polished and replaced if needed.Hatch rails and handrails toerails must be replaced as the handrails have worn down to about 5/8 inch dia. at center span,still as solid as a rock after 40 years in Charleston SC sun and salt.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Jeff: I'm not familiar with the Oday 20's centerboard set up, but if it is the same as the 23, there is no "through hull" fixture in the classic sense. The opening in the centerboard slot fits directly onto the section of pipe; the pipe extends above the water line high enough so that there is no need for a closeable valve. And since the pendent line runs through the pipe, there's no way for there to be a closable valve anyway.

I'm still not sure what your question is; do you have a pendent line running from your cockpit now to the centerboard, or is the pendent line porthole in the cockpit what is "covered up with an amalgamation of ...epoxy"?

Mar 19, 2015
Oday 20 Lake Hartwell SC
The existing centerboard pennant does pass through a white plastic fitting(identical to the one that drains the galley sink through the hu aboe the water line) at the bottom edge of the main hatchway from there it is a black semiflexible tube approx. 3" down to the hardened putty on the top of the cenerboard trunk. My question is what material fitting actually goes through the centerboard trunk(until I break into the putty,I cannot see what is there).I wanted to know what should be there, so I can be as close to original as possibe when I refurbish. When I'm really heeled over and working to windward I get waves that slap the bottom of the boat and shoot a stream of water into an otherwise nice dry cockpit.During these situations I have seen evidence of leaking around the putty,although I never see any during calm sailing,I want to have a watertight seal from the lower end of the tube to the fitting at the top,where the pennant exits. Thanks again for your help.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Aha! Thanks for the detail. I have never heard of the centerboard pendent system spouting water before; that's a new one for me.

As for your specific question, I am sorry that I don't know how the flexible tube is attached to the centerboard trunk. Given that the pendent line has to run unimpeded through the tube to the trunk, I don't see how there really could be any sort of through hull or other "fitting" that attaches the tube to the trunk. I guess it really depends on how Oday outfitted the attachment side of the trunk. If it's just a hole, then maybe they fit the tube right into the hole and glopped on enough epoxy to make it watertight. Wouldn't surprise me at all. If Oday bothered to build a nipple onto the trunk, then maybe the attachment to the sleeve is by a neoprene sleeve with hose clamps maybe?

Maybe the simplest way to keep your pendent line from spouting like a whale is to put a bend in the flexible hose. Can you do that without rebuilding the entire setup?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I looked in my library of O'DAY pictures, found a few key pics.... Well, a few are from 1976-7 1976, but maybe the earlier 1974 and 1975 set-ups will still be helpful? The 1976-77 ones may not be detailed enough, but at least show what the area looks like to those that may not have seen a nO'DAY 20.

Attachments

Mar 19, 2015
Oday 20 Lake Hartwell SC
Hey great info guys,thanks so much.Sunbird,your pics are a wealth of much needed details from inside the cabin.

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
Is the large hole in the sole just forward of the companionway step just for bilge access? Was something meant to be there, pump, etc?

Also, anyone know the diameter of the hole/opening in the centerboard pendant hole/fitting in the companionway? My centerboard is stuck in the up position and before I dive under the boat I thought I might give it a poke with an aluminum rod of sufficient diameter.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Is the large hole in the sole just forward of the companionway step just for bilge access? Was something meant to be there, pump, etc?

Also, anyone know the diameter of the hole/opening in the centerboard pendant hole/fitting in the companionway? My centerboard is stuck in the up position and before I dive under the boat I thought I might give it a poke with an aluminum rod of sufficient diameter.
Back before I replaced the shackle on my pendant line, my centerboard on my Oday 23 would stick fairly regularly. I bought a 3 foot long, 1/4" diameter steel rod at the hardware store, and stuck it down the pendent line hole in the cockpit. A couple of sharp blows would always free the centerboard. One caveat: I made a "cushion" for the end of the rod out of duct tape so that it wouldn't be hitting the fiberglass edge of the centerboard directly. Never caused any damage to the centerboard.

This method worked fine for my boat, but I've seen some on this website say they would never do this as they were afraid that a steel rod would damage some other part of the system. On my boat, the pendent line runs through a solid pipe, all the way down to the centerboard trunk; there's nothing to really damage. However, others have said that on their boats, there is a flexible tube somewhere down there, and they wouldn't use a steel rod for fear of tearing a hole in that tube. I don't know what the Oday 20 pendent line set up is, but be forewarned and take appropriate cautions.

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
Mine appears to be a fiberglass, molded tube...a small bit of flexible pipe, 2"-3", connecting the fitting in the companionway tk the pipe coming off the centerboard trunk. No bends, straight shot. So if one is careful in threading the steel rod into the pipe itself, a few sharp taps should be fine... I'm thinking.