Catalina 30 Toe Rail Question

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I don't need a bigger boat. In fact I just got my O'day 25 where I want it.
But,
A 1989 Catalina 30 caught my eye. It's on the hard but a step ladder was nearby so I got high enough to take a quick look.

Looks to be in decent shape but one thing stood out.
There is a crack in the gel coat running down the middle of the raised toe rail for the entire length. It is brownish colored. (took a while to write that without it sounding like a bad joke). The life line stanchion bases are angled so they mount both on the deck and on the raised toe rail.
With the stanchions mounted with bolts going into this area, I wonder if this is from water intrusion, push/pull on the stanchions or something else. The crack looks to large to be just a spider crack.

I know the 30 is a common boat. Is this a common problem?

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Ward,

My first thought was maybe some side impact from a storm or whatever.
Or, could this have happened while transporting, lifting or in the yard maybe a fall from the supports etc.
None is known without the specific details.

If you are interested, you will need a REPUTABLE surveyor to look at it. Some cracks in
the gelcoat can be just in the topcoat itself & non-sequential but, be sure of the cause first.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I would say that the cracking is common near stanchions that have been used to pull hard on to lift someone stepping onto the vessel. The stanchion system relative to the way its secured is a weak link in the 30 design and this has not changed throughout the Model years. I have had several cracks at my stanchion post plates on my 1988, but have fixed them. For a lengthy crack like your referring to, it must have been something major as earlier noted. The underlying decking must be rotting as a result of exposure, which could be a costly fix. The Mark II Model your looking at in my opinion are the best Catalina put out due to the electrical harness upgrades, interior upgrades, wing keel, windows, traveler, compression post (metal), etc, etc. Its an improved version of the Mark I. Get a repair estimate and see where that goes. Good luck.
Bob
1988 Mark II

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Ah Ward, it is easy to get distracted in a yard?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Yes John, it is. Too easy at times. I need to get some sailing time in and see if this bigger boat idea passes.

If I continue looking at the boat, I definitely wouldn't move on it without a survey and this damage repaired.
I'm going to try to get a look at the other side to see if it suffers the same issue.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe the boat was just keyed by a Catalina boat protester walking the docks.

Sailing will help. But you maybe coming down with the dreaded "just a little bigger boat would be betteritis ". It is a contagion that afflicts sailors walking in boat yards. So far I know of no known cure.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
My condition flares up every time I hit my head in the cabin...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
But you maybe coming down with the dreaded "just a little bigger boat would be betteritis ".
Explains the symptoms I feel, usually in early spring, that goes away after a month of sailing. This year it is hitting latter than usual.

Here are some photos of the cracks, which on second look, do look like they are caused by stress on stanchions.
If they are not structural, they look like something I can repair myself. They are mostly on the starboard side, port has on crack under a stanchion. The rest of the deck isn't showing any spider cracks. Need to give it a closer look.

I'm not jumping in yet, just giving it some thought and doing some research on this model boat.

Appreciate your thoughts on whether these cracks on the toe rail are cosmetic or structural.

IMG_0505.jpg IMG_0506.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
I have not seen cracks like that. It is certainly possible that the cracks could be associated with the stanchions. Do you have backing material to secure the back side of the stanchion or is it just bolted into the deck?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@jssailem I haven't look inside yet but did read a review that noted the stanchions were thru bolted with large washers instead of backing plates.
I am going to try to get the HIN this week and then call Catalina and see if they can tell me the construction of the toe rail. It looks like the toe rail was something added onto the deck instead of being a part of the deck. If it is all fiberglass I can probably fix it easily. If the toe rail is wood cored for some reason then the repair would be a much larger job.
Thanks

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Hey Ward, follow up what you find, I'd like to know for future reference to.

Oct 22, 2014
Ward, Based on the use of Philips screw heads I'm guessing the size of the screw means a small fender washer at best beneath the fiberglass. Can you see the bottom of the screw from inside?
I will further conjecture that it is probably just fiberglass and not cored material. I hope it is not just a course threaded screw. You really need bolts and a backing plate to secure stanchions. Examine the butyl-tape technique on MaineSails website for sealing the base and bolts for the stanchions. It has served me well the past 2 years since my last repair.
https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
https://marinehowto.com/sealing-deck-penetrations-to-prevent-core-rot/

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Yes John, I follow MaineSails potting and butyl tape technique on all my deck penetrations, at least where possible, on my current boat.
From the outside it looked at 1/4" round head machine screw and only two of them, which does sound light.
I hope to check it from the inside this weekend.

Thanks