Catalina 27 Tall rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2009
2 27 Sandusky Ohio
Greetings to all! I have recently signed the papers on a 1983 Catalina 27, so have joined this group -- I can now call myself a Catalina Owner. I have a quick question. The fellows who have been getting my boat into shape told me that they were told that the boat was a tall rig. My understanding was that all Catalina tall rigged boats had a small extension which is a mini-bowsprit off the bow onto which the headstay attaches. I also understood that unless your boat has this bowsprit it is not a tall rig. Is this the case? If it is then my boat is not a tall rig as there is no such bowsprit-like extension off the bow. It really doesn't matter too much to me, but I would like to know.
Also, are there places where I could download an owner's manual for a 1983 Catalina 27? I had one for my previous boat, a Cape Dory, and would like one for this boat as well.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm looking forward to the discussions on this board.
Fair winds,
Pete

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C27 Tall Rig ID

Congratulations and welcome.

As far as I know, no C27s came with the bowsprit. That configuration was only for the C30s.

Try www.catalina27.org, or dot com.

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
Wrong, Mr. Stu. C27 tall rigs did if fact have a bowsprit about a foot long. The rig is about 18" taller, and the foot of the main is 9'9" on the tall rig and 10'6" on the standard. If it does not have the smallish wood bowsprit, it is not a tall rig.

Feb 26, 2004
Oh, NO, Wrong again?

How can I learn? Where is it written? On the C27 'site? Dop I need to read the small print? I have not seen a C27 with a bowsprit, anywhere. Are they all on the East Coast or down in So. Cal.? Tall rigs, sure! Bowsprits? Pictures? The boomkin would be interesting on that boat.

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
Yeah, I don't know if I've seen it in a print brochure or any such place either. They are listed as a separate rating in our local PHRF, and Sailrite has the sailplan measurements for both. I only know of them because there used to be a couple in our marina. I don't think they are here now. One from San Diego recently sold on ebay for a bargain price.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
I only know of them because there used to be a couple in our marina. I don't think they are here now.
Thanks very much for the photo. If anything, that sure looks to me more like an owner mod than anything the factory put together. And it could simply be serendipity where two guys in one marina decided to do a "project" together on both of their boats. It doesn't resemble the more rounded sprit used on the C30 factory job. It's very "pointy." :naughty:

Peter, I'd call the factory and ask Gerry or Frank, if you really must know about the bowsprits. The C27 Association link should have answered your question about mast (and maybe boom - the C25 tall rig boom is lower and longer IIRC, no sprit, ever) measurements: take a line to the masthead on a halyard and measure.

May 2, 2009
2 27 Sandusky Ohio
Thanks!!

jimg and Stu,
Many thanks to both of you for your assistance. It really doesn't matter, I have bought the boat, but the people who have been prepping her told me they thought she was a Tall Rig. A friend who sails a C30 told me about the bowsprit and he also found a couple of C27 Tall Rigs by googling the web. It does appear that they have a bowsprit. Here is one of the sites he located -- <http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2378617010031856893vIHOHr>.

As I said above, it really doesn't matter, I get a better PHRF rating for beer can races with the regular rig. Of course, the boat goes slower too!!
Both of you take care and, again, many thanks for your help. A good start to the Catalina forums.
Regards and Fair winds.

Apr 29, 2009
catalina 27 Lodi Point, Seneca lake
Yea, the Catalina i just bought (84 tall rigged 27) has the little wooden bow sprint...

Feb 26, 2004
C27 Tall Rigs & Bowsprits

Jim, wow, maybe we should start a count!

Peter, I checked that website, but didn't see any particular photos of the bowsprit on any of the eight pages. He did nice work on his boat, nice to have a house right there by the boat! :):) I like that order of things better than having a boat next to my house.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 27 Dallas, TX TX
Re: C27 Tall Rigs & Bowsprits

The Catalina 27 Tall Rig has a small bow sprit. It can be found in some of the Catalina web pages for parts. I have a 27 tall Rig and had the glorious opportunity replace the bow sprit and order a number of parts from Catalina to complete the project.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Catalina 27 had a tall rig and it also had a tall rig/bow sprit rig. I have seen the tall rig bow sprit on a Catalina 27 named Down River Rogues that I use to race against in a JAM fleet way back in the day.

You could have the tall rig without a bow sprit. An Uncle of mine had a Catalina 27, 1973 vintage, that was just a standard rig. He knew quite a bit about the boat and all the different configurations it could have (One was an Atomic 4, One was a Diesel, and one configuration had an outboard engine...There was also a dinette version and another model). He told me about the rigging configurations as well.

May 23, 2004
say what????? someone tried to take the bowsprit off of your boat? I guess that you mean that someone collided with you, right?

biggio

Aug 12, 2007
Catalina 27 Mandeville, La.
Someone tried to take it out for a joy ride after hours. I was docked near a public boat launch I was unable to start my engine and left it there.
The next morning My power cord was wrapped around ther prop. My bimini frame was broken. My bow sprit was cracked in half. and the guy stay was busted. My Jib sheets had been reran thru the fairleads. It was about $1400 in damage. I waited 7 week to get the new bow sprit. Catalina had to go look up the vendor that makes them.

May 23, 2004
Hopefully insurance covered this. Who ever did it was a complete *******. That is horrible. I am sorry to hear about that. The person who did this should be keel drug, hung from a yardarm, and have his stinking bones drygoated.

May 23, 2009
2 1988 C27 Tall Rig Montrose Harbor, Chicago
I can confirm the bowsprit on tall-rig boats. I just discovered this about my 1988 C27 today. There was a diagram in my manual which referred to the length of the boat, and the fact that it is longer on tall rigs due to the bowsprit. Alas, I left my manual aboard (drydocked about 70 miles away) but I'll try to remember to bring it home next weekend to scan the page in question and post it up here.

Sorry to hear the bad news, biggio -- good luck with getting everything fixed back up.

Oct 29, 2009
catalina 27 tall rig Tn
If your boat has the bowsprit it is a tall rig, if does not, it is a standard rig or a tall rig with the bowsprit missing. If it has the bowsprit your loa is 27' 10" If not your loa is 26' 10"

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
I have a 27' 1971 with a bow sprit I bought it as a tall rig. But when I compared it to the 27' next to me and measured the sail I found it to be a standard w/ bow sprit

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.