Registered users don't see ads

Catalina 27 Holding Tank Pump Out Problem

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by ccsailor, Oct 4, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. ccsailor

ccsailor

Joined Mar 31, 2017
    2 posts, 0 likes
    CC 25
    US Boston BOSTON
    Hi,
    I have a 1989 Catalina 27 and I'm having an issue pumping out the holding tank. The pump out hatch is located in the anchor locker and I've been unable to fit a pump out hose in there because of the angle. I've had two pump out boats attempt this and they were also unable to get the hose into the hole because of the 90 degree fitting on the end of the house. It seems like I need a pvc pipe extension to come out about 6" or so to clear the anchor locker. Has anyone run into this problem before and if so what size pipe/fittings did you use?

Thank you.

2. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,378 posts, 287 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    This is not how Catalina installs tanks, so I'm guessing that this tank was installed by by a PO.

There's only one good solution: install a deck pumpout fitting and run a hose to it. However, if there's no pumpout fitting on the tank--if it has to be pumped out by actually sticking the end of a pumpout hose into the tank--that may not be as simple as it sounds. Is it a bladder or a rigid tank? If it's an unvented bladder, you'll have to replace the tank because USCG regs prohibit using unvented bladders--unvented tanks of any kind--for waste holding.

We need to brainstorm this a bit...so send me a private message that includes your email address (email is SOOO much easier than PMs!) and I'll be glad to help you sort out what you'll have to do to end up with a sanitation system that works the way it's supposed to.

3. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,887 posts, 366 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    From what I saw on the webz, the C27 didn't come with a holding tank. Deferring to Peggie....

4. Joetech

Joetech

Joined Apr 13, 2007
    142 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 27 TR
    US Lorain, Ohio
    I have an 86 C27 and I can assure you they do have holding tanks. I'm a little confused. You say you can't get the hose to fit in to the hole because of the 90 degree fitting on the "house"? Do you mean on the pump out hose? Where I get my pump out it is a straight hose and they have a 90 degrees adapter to screw onto it if needed depending on the boat. The OEM pump out is on the bottom of the anchor locker. If it is elsewhere, then it has been changed. My pump out gives me a plastic threaded adapter that screws into the cover threads. The other side of the adapter is for a clam type fitting (same style as used on fire hose or fuel delivery trucks). These come in a range of sizes and materials. I think this is a 1 1/2 inch fitting. The rubber end of the pumpout hose fits into this with no problem and empties the tank PDQ. Once, while away from my home port I did have to get a pump out elsewhere and they did have an 90 ell on the end. I had to take out the anchor and rode from the locker and turn the suction hose around at a weird angle but it got the job done. Maybe a picture of what you are talking about would help.

5. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,378 posts, 287 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    So you don't have a deck pumpout fitting either???

6. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    324 posts, 78 likes
    Catalina 30
    US SoCal Dana Point
    I think Peggie points you in the right direction: Install a deck pumpout fitting. Run a hose to the tank. Wash your hands, have a beer..... In that order...

7. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,295 posts, 108 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA

8. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,378 posts, 287 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    It can't be a deck fitting if it isn't on the deck, Rick. I'm hoping he'll accept my offer to brainstorm the best solution so I can find out from him exactly what he does have.

Rick D likes this.
  9. weinie

weinie

Joined Sep 6, 2010
    1,093 posts, 137 likes
    Jeanneau 349
    US port washington, ny
    Previous 27 owner here. It's a deck fitting... on the floor of the anchor locker.

10. MitchK

MitchK

Joined Sep 22, 2017
    13 posts, 2 likes
    Capital Yachts Newport 28
    US Burbank, Wa Burbank, WA
    I had a similar problem on my recently acquired Newport 28 2. The pump out fitting is in the chain locker, and the pump out hose would not fit. The other problem was the clean out port threads. The one the pump out boat gave me had the wrong threads. After a bit measuring, I discovered the cleanout port threads are 1-1/2 inch with 12 threads per inch. I took a barb to not adapter, turned the threads off, then cut a new set of threads. Used a piece of 1" vinyl tubing to the matching cannock fitting that fits the pump out boat. Worked great. The 1" hose allowed enough clearance to screw in the fitting. The tubing is about 18" long. I'm sure there has to be a ready made adapter, but in my case, the pump out was scheduled for the following and I needed a fitting that would fit.

11. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,378 posts, 287 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Seems to me that moving the pumpout fitting to the deck (in which case it would become a deck fitting :pimp:) with a connecting hose would simplify pumping out a whole bunch!

12. ccsailor

ccsailor

Joined Mar 31, 2017
    2 posts, 0 likes
    CC 25
    US Boston BOSTON
    Thank you to everyone that has responded and I apologize for the delay in getting back to everyone. Rick and Joetech have it correct in that there is a factory installed holding tank with a deck fitting inside the anchor locker. The problem is that all of the pump out hoses I’ve come across have a sharp 90 degree plastic fitting at the end that couldn’t be removed and the 90 degree angle prevented the hose from being able to get into the anchor locker and into the fitting. RickD, that adapter looks like it would solve the problem. I’ll have to verify what type of threads I have before buying one. I’ll try to post some pictures this weekend. Thanks again everyone.

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!