catalina 250: replacing antifouling coat and boat stand rig

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by francois.lavoie, May 13, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. francois.lavoie

francois.lavoie

Joined May 11, 2019
    1 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 250
    Nunca Ca Lac des Deux montagnes mooring
    I have a catalina 250 with ballast and swing keel. I intend to sand the old antifouling coat only and then apply a new coat.
    I have been told that this could be a long, hard and messy job. I intend to hire a professional which will use sandblasting. What kind of care should I ask for? This professional seems to have experience with boat hulls. Is there any critical issue related to sandblasting?
    I have bough a Bosch 1250DEVS 6-1/2-Amp 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander with Vacuum Port, but the reports by those who have done the hole job are rather depressing. Consolation is that I will be able to finish the job not done under the boat stands using 60 and 80 grit sandpaper at my pace.
    I need to know where I should install the five boat stands, so to not force the boat hull. Should the heads of these boat stands have a minimum surface? Has the swing keel has to be completely down to do a good job at the painting time? Will five boat stand do the job? Should there be a boat stand near the swing keel in front on in the back of it?
    Which type of antifouling would you suggest. Presently, I have the thick one over the hull. I imagine that this must have been the hard paint. Can I use the ablative on the catalina 250 hull?

Thanks for commenting.

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!