Carrying extra fuel for longer trips

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
The jiggler works the same without the chance for a fuel spill. The jiggler is just a check valve. Put it in the fuel container and put the other end of the tubing into the boat fuel fill. “Jiggle” the tubing up and down at the container - each jiggle opens and closes the valve adding fuel to the tube - stop when fuel starts to flow. Flow continues until the container is empty or you pull the jiggler above the fuel level.
Of course you could use the old siphon method we used to do with cars - insert hose into full tank, suck until fuel gets into mouth and then inset that end into empty tank.
The other nice thing about any of these methods is you are not holding that heavy container over the fuel fill while on a rolling deck.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
My usual siphon method doesn't use the jiggler. I use a spare fuel bulb that I carry attached to the end of a piece of 3/8" hose to get the party started. When the fuel reaches the bulb, I pull the bulb off & let gravity do it's job. The jiggler seems like a nice option if you have one. The primer bulb trick can be done with things you may already have on the boat. If you don't carry a spare primer bulb like I do, you can temporarily remove the installed one from service in a pinch. Of course, in a pinch you can use the old fashioned method too.
That sounds cumbersome, and more likely to spill as you remove the bulb. Also, removing the installed one would only be done in emergency, and there are quicker ways to get the siphon started without messing with hoses and clamps on the fuel line (which already contains fuel). The jiggler type siphons are cheap and effective. I recommend them.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I agree that the jiggler looks to be the better choice. I was just listing some other options for people who don't have one. I always like to have plan B.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I’ve seen da jiggler in action. Intriguing.

Btw... had to buy a new tree hugger 6 gal fuel tank for the dink. Damn thing looks like its ready to blow up after sitting in the sun all day.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep and when it gets to 5 psi over it is supposed to vent anyway, not sure on that because it has no vent hole that I can see, just the label info.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
RELATED - I have carried extra gas (dinghy) and diesel in containers on deck during long cruising. AND found the best/safest way to transfer to tanks is a jiggler. Insert into fuel container “jiggle up and down “ and no spill transfer. Here is one brand, not the only - check eBay, etc.
http://www.superjiggler.com/
Generically, this is called a shaker siphon. The best answer for most people.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I’ve seen da jiggler in action. Intriguing.

Btw... had to buy a new tree hugger 6 gal fuel tank for the dink. Damn thing looks like its ready to blow up after sitting in the sun all day.
I would suggest not sitting it in the sun (cover it).

Not trying to be sarcastic, this really helps. Put it under a seat or make a white cover.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
My gas tank install went very well and would recommend it to anyone. I now have 1 6 gallon tank in the gas locker and 2 3 gallon Rotpax gas containers laying flat in the back of the cockpit bolted down with their system. It's very easy to pull the 3 gas bottle up and siphon gas into the bigger tank. You can stand on them and when I am motoring and sitting on the traveler steering the outboard it's a great place to put my feet..

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
My gas tank install went very well and would recommend it to anyone. I now have 1 6 gallon tank in the gas locker and 2 3 gallon Rotpax gas containers laying flat in the back of the cockpit bolted down with their system. It's very easy to pull the 3 gas bottle up and siphon gas into the bigger tank. You can stand on them and when I am motoring and sitting on the traveler steering the outboard it's a great place to put my feet..
When you guys talk "gas" I think like "propane gas". Here in SA we talk "petrol" for liquid fuel and gas for propane type fuel! Then of course we have shipping tankers carrying around LNG and LPG - liquefied gas! And when I worked in Angola "diesel fuel" was called gasoleo! :confused:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That's why it is so important to know Esperanto or, at least, Spanglish.:dancing:

- Will (Dragonfly)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
That's why it is so important to know Esperanto or, at least, Spanglish.:dancing:

- Will (Dragonfly)
I'm pretty multi-lingual:
dos cervezas por favor, duas cervejas por favor, twee biertjes alstublieft, zwei Bier bitte, two beers please, twee biere asseblief, iki bira lütfen ... or simple sign language: two fingers with one hand while the other demonstrates pouring liquid into mouth!

Never went thirsty in all my travels :beer::beer:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm pretty multi-lingual:
dos cervezas por favor, duas cervejas por favor, twee biertjes alstublieft, zwei Bier bitte, two beers please, twee biere asseblief, iki bira lütfen ... or simple sign language: two fingers with one hand while the other demonstrates pouring liquid into mouth!

Never went thirsty in all my travels :beer::beer:
:laugh:
You know, I thought about using that exact same example for why universal communication is so important. I was in a hurry and you said it so much better.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Sehr Gut (auf zwei fingern)...
I've used that 2 finger method in the past, sometimes the index and pinky to accelerate the effect!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I substituted in a Spanish I junior high class once. One of the students later became a classmate and good friend of my son's. He recalled with fondness and awe how I taught the class to order 'Dos cervezas, por favor.' He is now a master brewer at Shillings, a local micro brewer pub. Coincidence?

My old man was on a motorcycle tour in Germany when the tour guide got very frustrated because the American bikers would get into single file whenever he held his fingers up to indicate 2 x 2. The fingers for two are thumb and index finger. Americans read that as 'one', single file. They didn't recognize the thumb as part of the count.

- Will (Dragonfly)