Can the 50.1 meet USCG Criterion for inspected vessel?

Aug 4, 2015
Oceanis 45 Chicago, Montrose Harbor
Has anyone out there looked into having a Beneteau 50.1 meet USCG Criterion for inspected vessel? I’m thinking of upgrading my Oceanis 45 ... and if I could run charters with more than 6 guests, that would tip the scale.

I understand that if the boat is fiberglass ... I‎t must be certified flame retardant. Also stanchions must meet certain specs ... etc ...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Joe Rickard.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
Most production boats don't meet the requirements for a USCG COI. I owned a ran a inspected sailing vessel for several years and there is a lot involved. You have to pass and inspection every year and a renewal every 5 years. Besides the hull needing to be made with a fire retardant fiberglass. You need a whole slew of safety features, like engine room fire suppression that is connected to the engine, only type 1 PFD, and if you operate more than 2 miles from shore, a life raft. The boat will also have to under go a stability test. Additional cost for insurance. On my Friend Ship Sloop, I was inspected for 17 passengers. I operated on Lake Champlain. My insurance was $3400 per year, which covered my required deckhand. Yes you will be required to hire a deckhand if you are operating a inspected vessel. You and all crew will also have to be enrolled in a random drug testing program that is certified by the USCG. I used to hire 2-3 kids every summer to work as deckhands. It cost me $600 per year just for drug testing.

The best thing to do is look up the local USCG inspector, and have a talk with him. He can

Aug 4, 2015
Oceanis 45 Chicago, Montrose Harbor
Good Points. The most difficult challenge might be getting the required information from Beneteau. I received the 124 page USCG document on getting a COI for small passenger vessels. If you want to see it ... I can email it to you.

Joe

Attachments

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I believe I have a copy somewhere. My inspector gave me a copy before my first yearly, so I have one more thing to keep me awake at night.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The USCG NVDC (National Vessel Documentation Center) maintains a database of registered vessel specs. If you call them, they should be able to answer your question about the fire retardant fiberglass for a particular Beneteau 50.1, if any has ever registered for a T-Boat license. They might also know what Beneteau builds their boats out of. Keep in mind this is a government bureaucracy. I know the US National Parks program sells memberships but fails to keep a database of members so if you lose track of your lic. you have to buy a new one.

Phone Numbers:

Toll Free: (800) 799-8362
Main: (304) 271-2400
Phone Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
Phones are not manned on Thursdays

All Times are Eastern Time (Standard or Daylight Savings, when applicable)

-Will (Dragonfly)