Registered users don't see ads

Can the 50.1 meet USCG Criterion for inspected vessel?

Discussion in 'Ask A Beneteau Owner' started by JoeRickard, Nov 12, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. JoeRickard

JoeRickard

Joined Aug 4, 2015
    24 posts, 3 likes
    Oceanis Adattare 45
    US Chicago Chicago, Montrose Harbor
    Has anyone out there looked into having a Beneteau 50.1 meet USCG Criterion for inspected vessel? I’m thinking of upgrading my Oceanis 45 ... and if I could run charters with more than 6 guests, that would tip the scale.

I understand that if the boat is fiberglass ... I‎t must be certified flame retardant. Also stanchions must meet certain specs ... etc ...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Joe Rickard.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  2. mcrow33

mcrow33

Joined Mar 29, 2011
    121 posts, 7 likes
    Beneteau 361
    US Charlotte,Vt
    Most production boats don't meet the requirements for a USCG COI. I owned a ran a inspected sailing vessel for several years and there is a lot involved. You have to pass and inspection every year and a renewal every 5 years. Besides the hull needing to be made with a fire retardant fiberglass. You need a whole slew of safety features, like engine room fire suppression that is connected to the engine, only type 1 PFD, and if you operate more than 2 miles from shore, a life raft. The boat will also have to under go a stability test. Additional cost for insurance. On my Friend Ship Sloop, I was inspected for 17 passengers. I operated on Lake Champlain. My insurance was $3400 per year, which covered my required deckhand. Yes you will be required to hire a deckhand if you are operating a inspected vessel. You and all crew will also have to be enrolled in a random drug testing program that is certified by the USCG. I used to hire 2-3 kids every summer to work as deckhands. It cost me $600 per year just for drug testing.

The best thing to do is look up the local USCG inspector, and have a talk with him. He can

Larry -- DH and Will Gilmore like this.
  3. JoeRickard

JoeRickard

Joined Aug 4, 2015
    24 posts, 3 likes
    Oceanis Adattare 45
    Good Points. The most difficult challenge might be getting the required information from Beneteau. I received the 124 page USCG document on getting a COI for small passenger vessels. If you want to see it ... I can email it to you.

Joe

Attached Files:

Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. mcrow33

mcrow33

Joined Mar 29, 2011
    121 posts, 7 likes
    Beneteau 361
    US Charlotte,Vt
    I believe I have a copy somewhere. My inspector gave me a copy before my first yearly, so I have one more thing to keep me awake at night.

5. David in Sandusky

David in Sandusky

Joined Nov 8, 2007
    944 posts, 52 likes
    Hunter 27_75-84
    US Sandusky Harbor Marina, Lake Erie
    So what is the value of a USCG COL?

6. Larry -- DH

Larry -- DH

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    154 posts, 48 likes
    Quorning Dragonfly 1200
    US home

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    208 posts, 42 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH
    The USCG NVDC (National Vessel Documentation Center) maintains a database of registered vessel specs. If you call them, they should be able to answer your question about the fire retardant fiberglass for a particular Beneteau 50.1, if any has ever registered for a T-Boat license. They might also know what Beneteau builds their boats out of. Keep in mind this is a government bureaucracy. I know the US National Parks program sells memberships but fails to keep a database of members so if you lose track of your lic. you have to buy a new one.

Phone Numbers:

Toll Free: (800) 799-8362
    Main: (304) 271-2400
    Phone Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
    Phones are not manned on Thursdays

All Times are Eastern Time (Standard or Daylight Savings, when applicable)

-Will (Dragonfly)

JoeRickard likes this.
  8. JoeRickard

JoeRickard

Joined Aug 4, 2015
    24 posts, 3 likes
    Oceanis Adattare 45
    Great idea! I've called them before on other matters - they are pretty helpful.

Will Gilmore likes this.

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!