C22 anchor roller, am I crazy?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I think there might be something seriously the matter with me!! What kind of sick, demented freak spends all evening standing around, sipping bourbon, and gazing adoringly at ...

... a freakin' ANCHOR??

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
That's a pretty anchor!!
Single barrel Kentucky bourbon I hope!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I think there might be something seriously the matter with me!! What kind of sick, demented freak spends all evening standing around, sipping bourbon, and gazing adoringly at ...

... a freakin' ANCHOR??

from the looks of that pic you have a couple of screws loose:eek:

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Pretty! You'll be drinking a bottle of the cheap stuff if you ever lose it!

Don

Sep 30, 2013
The world's #1 selling bourbon ... thanks in large part to my own efforts, if I may say.

Oh yeah ... loose screws ... LOL, good one!!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ

... a freakin' ANCHOR??

Been there, done that, got the shirt!

Only I probably would have broken out the Blanton's to celebrate the purchase.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
If your wife goes to bed in new nightwear that has little anchors on it, you will know why :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Well yes... but not for gazing at that attractive anchor.
Personally I've always thought bourbon drinkers must be a bit sick.

But more to the point.. does it fit on the anchor roller ?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I recently got a Fortress FX-11 that was unused for $75 off Craigslist... I doesn't seem to fit well on my roller unless I'm doing something wrong.

Sep 30, 2013
Sadly, I don't think ANY anchor fits properly on CD's C22 anchor roller (when installed on a new design boat anyway) unless I too am doing something wrong. I can't speak for the original design, Luke, but it sounds like you may have the same problem I had with it. CaptDon has shown that that roller works perfectly on a Mk II, but his bow is different from mine. On my boat, there are two problems: one, the anchor shank lies on top of the locker cover, so you can't open the locker without moving the anchor, and two, the flukes hit the hull before the anchor is "seated" on the roller.

I'm modifying a much larger, beefier roller (this one: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=927) to do the job. It will extend aft, and bend down the little ramp to the anchor locker - where there will be another two mounting bolts added. I'm also reinforcing all six bolts with a pair of 1/4" G10 backing plates, bedded in thickened epoxy.

Sep 8, 2014
Roger that... I'm having similar problems. I don't have to worry about a locker hatch, but when the shank is fully seated in the roller the flukes hit the bow. Doesn't seem like there is a good alternative to secure it any which way I fiddle with it. I think a new or custom fabricated roller is my near future... Hell, I've got the polishing wheels and the plasma cutter, I should just make my own and all I will need to buy is the off-set roller and a few bolts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the stainless sheet stock I have in the shop is long enough. I'll do a stock check when I get home.

Sadly, I don't think ANY anchor fits properly on CD's C22 anchor roller (when installed on a new design boat anyway) unless I too am doing something wrong. I can't speak for the original design, Luke, but it sounds like you may have the same problem I had with it. CaptDon has shown that that roller works perfectly on a Mk II, but his bow is different from mine. On my boat, there are two problems: one, the anchor shank lies on top of the locker cover, so you can't open the locker without moving the anchor, and two, the flukes hit the hull before the anchor is "seated" on the roller.

I'm modifying a much larger, beefier roller (this one: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=927) to do the job. It will extend aft, and bend down the little ramp to the anchor locker - where there will be another two mounting bolts added. I'm also reinforcing all six bolts with a pair of 1/4" G10 backing plates, bedded in thickened epoxy.

Sep 30, 2013
You might save a few bucks making your own, not to mention getting it exactly like you want it. This new roller cost over $200 shipped. Plus the $80 or so I paid for the useless one.

What's your plan for the chain and rode?

Sep 8, 2014
Some kind of quick link attachments for chain and rode, stored in mesh bags that Velcro all the way around the bag. Tabs on the bag to hang from the pulpit only when drying, stow them below when dry and not in use. To deploy, open the Velcro sides of the bag on deck, the bag acting as protection for the deck. Fake out chain and line rode and attach to anchor, let go the anchor. separate mesh bags for chain rode and line rode... that's the idea anyway.

You might save a few bucks making your own, not to mention getting it exactly like you want it. This new roller cost over $200 shipped. Plus the $80 or so I paid for the useless one.

What's your plan for the chain and rode?

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I have a piece of "equipment" that is still in storage, to store an anchor on my bow.

No matter how I try, I still like dropping it from the cockpit and not the bow. As these boats don't have a windlass and anchor lockers, it works fine for me. Also a snatch block allows for cockpit retrieval....

Jeff