Buying a J/24 for cheap... Any tips?

Aug 21, 2018
J-boat 24 Elmwood Township Marina
Hello once again! I am looking at buying a used j/24 for insanely cheap ($1,500 cheap) due to the fact that the current owner doesn't really know how to sail and wants to get rid of it before he owes the local marina any more $$. However, there are a few soft spots in the fore deck that I'm not sure about. So my first question: Do these spots need to be repaired right away, or can the boat sail with them? My second question: what other things (damage, rigging, etc..) should I look at? Also, is buying a J/24 in this situation safe? Any help is appreciated, Just trying to gather as much info as possible.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
buying a used j/24 for insanely cheap ($1,500 cheap)
Welcome to the forum.
There are a lot more elements in pricing a boat to decide if "Insanely Cheap" is another word for OPEN your Pocketbook and dump the money in the water.
What year is the boat? What equipment is included? How old is the rigging? What works and what does not? Pictures help.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
to the original question tho, a soft deck may not need immediate repair, but that the soft deck is typically a symptom of neglected maintenance. Rot around chainplates DOES need immediate repair. So with a soft deck that you DO see, it is likely you are missing other soft or wet areas that will come out of hiding as you spend more time looking.

Year, equipment, rigging, sails may provide salvage value.

Aug 21, 2018
My apologies on a duplicate thread. On other forums I've been on, they like having a separate post for a separate topic. If needed, I have no issue going back the my other post. I just wanted to post a questions separately for stepping and for this. Just let me know.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
J24 is one of the most popular one design racers, ever. Have you searched specifically for this boat model and it's owner's groups. Have you looked on the J-boat factory website for reference links? 95% of the people who own J24's have them for racing purposes.... they are lousy for cruising.... What's your experience?

Aug 21, 2018
Welcome to the forum.
There are a lot more elements in pricing a boat to decide if "Insanely Cheap" is another word for OPEN your Pocketbook and dump the money in the water.
What year is the boat? What equipment is included? How old is the rigging? What works and what does not? Pictures help.
1: earliest paper I could find in the books the owner gave me was 1983. I know there was a redesign in 80-81ish.
2: The previous owner supposedly installed new racing rigging and everything seems to be in working order from what I can tell. Main halyard is a bit sticky.
3: Pictures... well unfortunately I don't have my phone as it is getting repaired so that could be a bit difficult.
Finally, I am aware that the core is wet in those soft spots. The interior side of the glass seems to be in good condition, but topside is not so great. I watched a couple YouTube videos and it seemed that the repair isn't too difficult. However, that was in a video. It could be harder than I think... I'm not too sure as I don't know much about fiber glass repair myself.

Aug 21, 2018
J24 is one of the most popular one design racers, ever. Have you searched specifically for this boat model and it's owner's groups. Have you looked on the J-boat factory website for reference links? 95% of the people who own J24's have them for racing purposes.... they are lousy for cruising.... What's your experience?
I am planning to mostly race it at my local yacht club, but possibly use it for some short cruising trips with friends from my sailing team or with my family. I'm aware J24 is a racing boat, but I figure it'll be a fun boat either way even if it isn't so comfortable. As far as experience, I have little sailing mid/big boats, but I have been sailing smaller boats since I was 7. So about 10 years of sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@LimenCoyle THe J24 is a fun racer. You will enjoy the experience.
previous owner supposedly installed new racing rigging
I am guessing here. Is the racing rigging you identify the halyards and sheets for the sails? If so that is nice. My concern would be the Wire or rod stays, the turnbuckles, mast, spreaders and the chain-plates. These hold the mast in place and in a racing boat get a real workout. Usually under normal wear they are good for 10-15 years. On a racing boat it can be 7 or less depending how she was sailed. Getting a professional rigger would be advisable as this appears to be a new concept to you. If not I apologize.
You are looking for metal fatigue, rust on stainless, bad or cross threads on turnbuckles, age and condition, even micro cracks or elongated holes on the chain plates. A mast refitting done by a rigger can run into several boat bucks.(a boat buck is $1,000)
The assumption is that the head sail is on a furler. These get used heavily in racing and get worn. You will want that carefully inspected. Again looking for difficulty turning (bearings) or out of the ordinary issues (cracked metal, dented metal, broken pieces, etc.). A new furler can run $1000. A DIY refit/repair project can easily run a 3-5 hundred dollars.

All this leads to the idea of an old - cheap boat. Only you can know and make the decision. In your case with it being so "Cheap" a survey is not about pricing the boat, it is about how much is it going to cost to repair.

Good luck

Aug 21, 2018
@LimenCoyle THe J24 is a fun racer. You will enjoy the experience.

I am guessing here. Is the racing rigging you identify the halyards and sheets for the sails? If so that is nice. My concern would be the Wire or rod stays, the turnbuckles, mast, spreaders and the chain-plates. These hold the mast in place and in a racing boat get a real workout. Usually under normal wear they are good for 10-15 years. On a racing boat it can be 7 or less depending how she was sailed. Getting a professional rigger would be advisable as this appears to be a new concept to you. If not I apologize.
You are looking for metal fatigue, rust on stainless, bad or cross threads on turnbuckles, age and condition, even micro cracks or elongated holes on the chain plates. A mast refitting done by a rigger can run into several boat bucks.(a boat buck is $1,000)
The assumption is that the head sail is on a furler. These get used heavily in racing and get worn. You will want that carefully inspected. Again looking for difficulty turning (bearings) or out of the ordinary issues (cracked metal, dented metal, broken pieces, etc.). A new furler can run $1000. A DIY refit/repair project can easily run a 3-5 hundred dollars.

All this leads to the idea of an old - cheap boat. Only you can know and make the decision. In your case with it being so "Cheap" a survey is not about pricing the boat, it is about how much is it going to cost to repair.

Good luck
Yes, I am aware it is about the cost to repair which is why I will be having someone who knows a bit more about what they are looking at have a look. What I meant by rigging was hardware and lines. From what I can tell all the cranks/ratchets, stays, etc are new. I think the line might need replacing because it has been out in the rain for a year +. So I believe that is all good. Back stay is a concern because it seems it was tight the entire time it was stored causing likely fatigue on mast and wire. Both seemed fine after it was loosened though. Thank you for that info. All very useful.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
"They should give you the boat and make their money on the repairs.." There are a lot of tired J24's out there. Many of them were ridden hard and put away wet. Some are OK. They are not a complicated boat. You're not talking about systems like refrigerators , complex instruments , batteries and charging systems, radar, etc. If the the decks are still stiff, the bottom is good and the rigging is sound and complete, you may have good platform for club racing. If you want to invest money for upgrades and sails you have to make sure the platform warrants the expense. At the $1,500 price, I doubt it.