Buying a Hunter has been a frustrating experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie LaScala

This past Saturday, we had the maiden launch of my new Hunter 260. The weather was perfect, a good breeze was coming up, and a big first weekend was planned. The boat was in the water for about ten minutes, tied in a fueling slip, while I went to disconnect and park the trailer. My son and I were very happy and excited. We had looked forward to this moment with great anticipation. Unfortunately, our enthusiasm was lowered dramatically when I looked into the bilge and found water filling the aft compartments and flowing through the limber holes under the main sleeping area. With a flashlight, we could see water running through the fiberglass tab joining the hull and the upper mould whenever the joint moved below water level. We hitched up the trailer and pulled the boat from the water. We checked the leaking area from the outside by removing the covering in the rub rail. What we saw was the sloppiest job imaginable for attaching a rub rail. Screws of all sizes and shapes had been used to fasten it in place; there were drilled holes that contained no screws; and some of the screws were in holes that were stripped (I have included a picture of this rub rail fastening in the photo forum, but the picture really doesn't do justice to the absolute sloppiness of the work. Gary Barker from the dealerhip removed a section of the rub rail and then realized that the moulds had separated slightly. He later found that the separation went on for several feet, and was especially bad where they overdid screws in the rub rail. The boat is now back at the dealer to have the interior joint ground out and refiberglassed as well as the external joint repaired. My son, a new and very agressive lawyer, asked me how could I remain so calm when he would be suing the manufacturer. My response to him was that I have become accustomed to being disappointed by the Hunter organization. I ordered my boat several months ago. Of course it wasn't delivered when Hunter promised. In fact they missed six other estimated dates for delivery. I made arangements to pick up the boat at the factory and transport it to the dealer near Lake Lanier. I wanted to tour the factory and get a feel for how the boat tows. Hunter said that I could pick up the boat at 9:30am and so my wife and I drove down the night before and stayed in a motel. Of course the next day when we arrived at the factory, the boat wasn't ready. Three other estimated times they told us that day were also wrong. It wasn't ready until 3:30pm that we had the boat next to my truck. The staff at Hunter were always very nice. They bought us lunch and gave us some Hunter store clothing items, cup holders, and a gift certificate because of all the delays we had experienced. Even the president of the company came over and introduced himself, apologizing for all the delays, but stating that Hunter wanted to make sure the boat was up to their standards since they had subcontracted some of the 260 building outside and it did not work out very well. Finally, I received all the paperwork and was ready to go. Unfortunately, the trailer's electrical wiring connector was about ten inches too short to reach my factory installed trailer connection next to the hitch. Hunter workers there couldn't have cared less. I borrowed some personal wire strippers from Eric Macklin and was able to jury rig a trailer wire extention with some scrap electrical parts I happened to have in my truck. The trip home was uneventful. But when I reached the dealer and put down the trailer dolly wheel, it was so flimsy that the whole mechanism bent out at a 45 degree angle. The dealer noted this immediately and ordered a replacement. I gave the dealer the checked inventory listing of everything some Hunter worker signed as having placed aboard my boat before turning it over to us with a seal on the companion way boards. However, when the dealer broke the seal and inventoried the boat, numerous items that were checked off and supposedly inside were not. Things such as an anchor, spinnaker kit, etc. Within a few days, I picked up the boat from the dealer to bring to my home to work on the remote controls for my outboard, make some masthead modifications inspired by Rick Webb, and install batteries. I removed all the cushions and gave all the nooks and crannies a good looking over. I was greatly surprised at the lack of quality workmanship in out-of-site areas such as the aft compartments. The fiberglass joining of the upper and lower hulls looked to me like it had been done by an amateur and was very sloppy. I mentioned this to the dealer and he replied that yes they seem to be pretty "rough". Even the single battery shelf was shaky and needed to be fiberglassed to the rib. When I looked up at the styrofoam in the starboard aft compartment, I saw partially rolled up pages of a magazine sticking out of the styrofoam like a stalactite since it was half covered with gel coat - very sloppy work. The lack of good workmanship in those aft compartments bothered me greatly. As a young boy I had occasionally helped my father, an electrician. I remembered asking my father why he was making such an effort to arrange the wires so neat and orderly in a junction box that will probably never be seen. His answer was that you can tell the true quality of a product by the standard of workmanship that you find in the areas that are not easily seen. Although he has long since passed from this world, I am certain that by his measure, my Hunter 260 would not be considered a high quality product. A few days later, after a rainy evening, I noticed about a cup of water in the aft compartments. The dealer stated that this was fairly common and probably caused by a hole in the decking that Hunter had forgotten to caulk. Sure enough, I found a hole that had been drilled for the stern light cable that had neither a proper connector nor caulking. I assumed that this was the cause of the water I had found. Within a few weeks, my masthead and outboard contol modifications were complete and I returned the boat to the dealer so that he could finish the commissioning items and finally launch the boat this past Saturday. You know from the beginning of this article what happened. What I don't know is why it happened. Hunter states that they pond test their boats. But what good is that if there is no motor or batteries aboard to bring one of the most important joints of all under water to be tested. Hunter failed the most basic requirement of all - their boat didn't float. It would have been sunk in an hour if I had left it alone that long. If I had it to do again would I buy this boat? I don't know. I love the design and its trailerability well meets my needs. But what other hidden areas of poor quality workmanship will be exposed by wind and weather in the future. Hunter needs to be more than nice. They need to have high standards of workmanship throughout their boat. I hope that the president of Hunter has higher standards than that apparently acceptable to his workers and supervisors. I would be interested in hearing from others who have had similar problems. Who knows, maybe I should do what my son recommends.

R

Reid - the West Wing

Don't bother suing

That's a hell of a story! I can sympathize, I am waiting for my mast that I bought with a new boat. A 260 was installed on a 240 (rather not installed because the shrouds were too short to allow the mast to raise.) I don't know how it happened but someone had grabbed the wrong mast and threw it on the boat - it left the factory and the dealer this way. Now I am over 2200 km from the dealer and 2600 km from the factory. I know hunter will fix the problem. they are first class in that way but the weekends out of the water are what drive me crazy. Don't sue though - the last thing the world needs is more people suing it will raise your anxiety level for a longer period of time instead of chalkng it it up a bad experience. PS. Great story regarding your father - when I tested the bilge pump on my 240 it wouldn't work - I had to take off the panel face plate to notice that the wires were not connected - it's a good thing I wasn't taking on water!

B

Bob England

New boat blues

Sorry to hear about your problems. Try to look on the bright side -- once all the teething problems are fixed, you should have many years of pleasure from your boat. I don't understand your problem with the leak at the rub rail. Does the 260 have a seam at the waterline? This doesn't sound like a safe design. Unfortunately, your experience doesn't seem too unusual. I've purchased two brand new sailboats in my life, and never again! The first was a Halman Henley 20 made by Halman of Grimsby, Ontario. I won't go into the litany of things that were wrong with that boat, but suffice it to say that the boat went right back to the factory and spent half the summer there being repaired and modified before I ever got to sail it. The second new boat was a Mirage 275, made by Mirage Yachts of Montreal. This was probably the last boat Mirage made before they folded and went out of the boat business. The dealer neglected to tell me that the manufacturer's warranty was a worthless piece of paper. There were lots of things wrong with that boat also, some serious safety issues, and it took a lot of fighting with the dealer to get most of them fixed. Still, neither boat would have sunk at the dock like yours! Best wishes for getting everything sorted out soon.

B

Bryan C.

Very disappointing

It's very disappointing to hear about the poor workmanship. I had thought Hunter had improved its QC over the years, but your post certain raises questions in that area.

R

Ron Fraboni

Ask for New Boat

If Hunter is subcontracting the manufacturing of their boats, it sounds like they have too much business and don't have a handle on quality control. With the sloppiness of the work you experienced, why not ask the dealer and Hunter to give you a new boat that has been checked out properly. After what you went thru, you should get the next one off the line - assuming it was made properly!! I have had good luck with my 1994 H26 and Hunter has stood behind any problem. Good Luck.

E

Eric

Agree

I would ask for a replacement along with a finacial penalty from Hunter to compensate for lost sailing time. There is no excuse for the poor quality you mentioned and sub contratcing the work is no excuse, Hunter's name is on the boat. For those of you with a forgive and move on solution, allow me to remind you that as Hunter's reputation sinks, so does the resale value of your boat. The 260 is a very expensive expenditure and should be treated as such. States have lemon laws for automobiles because of the blaise attitude of the manufacturers, perhaps it is time for lemon laws for boats. I'm afraid a free T-shirt would insult me. Unfortunatly,Hunter probably would take the boat back and pass it off to the next poor guy that comes along. It is disconcerting that Hunter is allegedly contracting out which means they have lost intrest in smaller boats and now concentrate on larger vessels. This is not good news for those interested in smaller boats either through necessity or choice. I truly hope that all of your issues are resolved and that you finaly get out on the water but I would very thoroughly document issues with boat for future reference if things should go poorly. Listen to your son's counsel since you probably paid enough for the privilege. eric

H

Hrab John

Return your boat for a new one

I would agree with Ron Fabroni who suggests asking for a new boat. Those problems are unacceptable and I beleive Hunter personnel to be concerned with the quality of their boats and they usually stand behind it. My concern is finding these problems now, what about less apparent problems that surface later. My trust in such a boat would be very low indeed. Sincerely, John Hrab

D

Dennis Brewer

Where does it end?

Hunter has just given very good support on some warranty items at the end of my five year warranty period on our H26. However, if my fortunes ever improve to where I can consider a larger boat, I have to wonder where the outsourcing ends for Hunter. Hopefully, your article will be a 'wakeup call' for them. Even though you have done a lot of work on your boat, I think that I would go for the exchange. Good sailing.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Picture tells the story

Just looked at pictures in photo forum. Obviously they had a major problem with assembling the boat. No way should this boat have been sold to anybody. I have doubts that this problem can ever be repaired to the point that it will be just a good as a properly constructed model. I would like to see hunter give you a new boat. However I doubt that will happen. At a minimum you should get a loaner (or financial compensation) while your boat is repaired. An independent survey paid for by Hunter should also be required. Your local dealer, who has a reputation to protect, might be willing to provide a loaner from his used boat inventory even if Hunter isn't helpful. It may not be your nature, but complaining loudly and extensively in a busy dealership can be very effective. Get a few prospective purchasers running scared and customer service will likely improve. When I bought a new Catalina 25 years ago it was delivered later than promised. The local dealer loaned me a used 25 so I could take a previously scheduled week-long cruise.

M

Mayona Austin

Discussing sight!

I read the article you wrote and felt sad that you had such a problem with your first Hunter. I then looked at the picture in the photo forum. My goodness what a mess. I think if I were you I would return the boat to Hunter and demand another. I doubt that the poor quality of workmanship was done at the Hunter factory. Although this is no excuse, they should be on top of their sub work too. We have owned a 1994 H25.5 that we picked up at the factory and never had any problems. I think Hunter ia a good company and will do right by you. Just keep at them. Keep us posted.

B

Bryan C.

Isolated incident

I agree with the posts about demanding an exchange. Hopefully what happened to your boat is an isolated incident (new guy in the shop?) and not indicative of the current state of QC. I will say that in the couple of years of following this board, the degree of shoddy work on your boat seems unique. Other new Hunter buyers have had some problems, every new boat does, but I have not heard of the problems to the degree you have experienced. I would write to Hunter, copy to Warren Luhrs, not call, and send them pictures documenting the problems. Detail all the problems you have had with the boat. You may wish to consider hiring an experienced surveyor to look and the work and opine it is not seaworthy (shouldn't be hard to do) or adequately repairable. He could serve as an expert if legal action is warranted. Hopefully Hunter will do the right thing and exchange your boat if that is what you want (could be more waiting). I think it is a little unreasonable to expect them to pay you for waiting time or a loaner, however.

B

bob

distressing story

your story is genuinely distressing...i definitely agree that hunter should give you a new boat....it is obvious that someone at hunter has fallen down on the qc job, and the fact that a subcontractor is involved is no excuse...based on my recent good experience with hunter boats, i do believe that your experience is very atypical.... my best suggestion is that you write warren luhrs a personal letter directly via certified mail, and lay out in detail all you've said here with photos....give him and the hunter organization the opportunity to do the right thing....i believe they are a good company and will do so...from a purely business perspective, these days problems of this sort will kill a company's sales very quickly...as is obvious, word gets out on the internet very quickly.....i believe they are good people and smart business people and will see that you are satisfied....bob h40.5 s/v reliance

G

Greg Stebbins

We could all contact Hunter

Through this web site (factory connection near the bottom of main page) expressing you opinion of this situation and what you think their response should be. Let's see just HOW interested Hunter is in their customers good opinion. Or if their legal dept has rotted the place out completely. Greg

S

Scott

terrible

That is an unbelievable story. If that is what you can expect from Hunter in a brand new "QC'd" boat, what possible confidence could you have in getting a different new boat from the same builder. I would ask for my money back. The problem is, I don't know what alternatives you have on the small boat market. Obviously, you spent a long time looking for a new boat and narrowed it down to this one. I own a like sized Hunter from the mid 80's and really love the boat. I have heard the criticisms of Hunter quality in the past, but have never heard the kind of specific manufacturing complaint to back up the criticism until yours. To my mind this is not a "don't buy a new boat" issue, it is a "don't put up with poor quality workmanship" issue. If this is what happened on the first launch, what surprises are waiting for you when you first raise the main. Boy, that is really bad. Hopefully Hunter will do the right thing here. If you ask to exchange for a different boat though, "caveat emptor."

D

Don

Why not just buy used?

I do not know this model very well, but I know there are several on the maket for sale, especially in my area - Chesepeake Bay. There is one for sale by owner at my marina that appears to be in excellent shape, as they all do. Given the delay you've already had, I think that I would demand my money back immmediately (and a good lawyer-son could get it), find a good used H260, buy it and go sailing. Fighting with the dealer and/or Hunter is not worth the headache. Any problems you encounter with a used one could not possibly match the level on the new one. Let's hope Hunter realizes their big mistake here. I, for one, took note as I am looking to move up from my H31. Please keep us posted on your outcome. Good luck.

M

Mark Johnson

Why not give Hunter a chance to make it right?

From what I have seen, they seem to go beyond the call of duty to make their customers happy. Should that boat of been shipped? Of course not, but we don't live on the "Planet Perfecto" and sometimes things go wrong, but we all should have the opportunity to make things right (including Hunter Marine). I'd be very surprised if there was not a possitive resolution to this problem.

T

Tom

hopefully isolated...

Bernie, I'm so sorry to hear of your new boat problems, particularly after all the work you have put into it. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. Should other new 260 owners pull off the rub rail and check the deck/hull connection??? I don't know. I am in a similar situation, I have been working for many weekends to prepare our boat for our launch/maiden voyage this comming weekend. Your story will cause me to be very cautious and observant. I will also be checking/testing the bilge pump. Good luck, take care, and keep us posted. Oh, and by the way, thank you for the excellent photos of your rudder/motor connection solution, very nice. Tom

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Manufacturing reality

All businesses, including manufacturers, make mistakes and have QC problems from time to time. Even the names that stand for reliability. Heck, I've heard of Mercedes Benz and Hewlett Packard turning out a lemon now and then. Hunter, and every other builder, is going to turn out a defective boat now and then. In the 3+ years we've had this site running, a lot of new boat buyers have come through the forums. This is the second time I can recall a boat delivered with a manufacturing defect that is a potential safety issue. While that's a total bummer from the buyer's perspective, it is hardly a condemnation of the company's management, philosophy, and QC systems, as some people here seem to believe. I think the real is not that they delivered a bad boat, but how they will go about making it right. That's what separates the good builders from the bad. I talk to folks at Hunter and I know they monitor this site. I know they listen to dealers. I'm sure they're paying attention to the situation and I'd be surprised if the guy who covered that bad joint with a rub rail is still working there. Or at least, they've taken his tube of 3M adhesive. I think, before the talk turns to lawsuits and bad management, we should see what Hunter does next. That said, my condolences to you, Bernie. I too would be furious if this were my boat.

B

Been there

Quality vs. warranty? Not really ..

There are different aspects to quality. If you buy a new boat and the hose to the sink from the fresh-water pump leaks, that's no big deal. You tighten the hose clamp, and take a little joy in working on your new boat. The joinery isn't up to Hinkley standards? Well .. no one expects this, and quite frankly, who gives a damn. BUT .. a leak in the joint between the upper mold and lower?!? No one has mentioned the obvious: this leak might have grown and been detected only after the boat was a few miles from nearest shore. It could easily overwhelm all pumping efforts, and then the only hope is nearby rescue, or water not too cold for a swim to shore. With respect to issues such as hull integrity and propane installation, quality control is not just a matter of cost, but also of safety.

D

Don

To add to Phil's comments

I'm probably the only person reading this site who, in 1988, had a brand new '88 Mercedes 300E that required a complete overhaul at 28,000 miles. Bad rings caused an oil leak that led to a metldown. But, I never had to say or ask anthing to Mercedes a second time to get it done right. (I did not, however, buy another Mercedes after that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.