Broken Keel

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
There is a metal plate in the keel, that you will need to tap to bolt the eye strap to the keel. Sorry i don't remember the thread size, I used the one pulled off the old keel as a guide. Just one more thing to buy. :)

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
No longer broken ???

...meaning...
You have received and installed a NEW swing keel ??

OR

You repaired the existing somehow ??

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Charlie, I bought the bullet! I installed it yesterday... that was really, really hard... if I didn't do it at work, I'm not sure I would have been able too, I had to get a fork lift to pick up the back of the boat to be able to get the new board in there... took me and another guy about 3 hours of work to get it in....

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Chasemixon,
Congratulations ! It must be great to have access to special equipment ! One less thing to be worrying/thinking about, huh ? I changed mine out on the trailer...by myself. The kids and grandkids were not available to help at the time and the admiral was unable to help...getting on in age (like me..).

BTW, the 'old saying' is "bite the bullet" (i.e., during intense pain / displeasure, the bullet's lead cushioned the clenched teeth instead of breaking them) ..or.. maybe you were being funny with the phrase's use?? Either way, I think you did a good thing.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
How? we took both support beams out and still could not get the centerboard into the slot... the axel was in the way? do you have a dual axel or single axel trailer? and yes as far as the bite the bullet, I was just being funny, but that makes sense, never knew where that phase came from... as painful as spending that money was, it was much better than building my own. we actually took it out this weekend and now it is at the marina waiting on us to come back, the next weekend we have an opportunity... first day good wind and the admiral, wants to ride on my sisters power boat... yesterday No wind!... sad day for me!

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Chasemixon,
Take a look at the attached pix and read the following posts at:

Need Rudder and swing keel dimensions (
1 2 3 ... Last Page)
SeaTR on 01.24.09

...in this forum, post numbers 22 & 23...there MAY be more in the thread, but those were the quickest to find. I need ~32" between the bottom of the hull and ground to drop /pivot/ remove my swing keel. My trailer, as you can see, is a single axle (original Magic Tilt with 'extendo-tongue')

Hope this helps !

Charlie

Attachments