Boarding ladder at stern rail

pmac

Jun 13, 2015
catalina 27 Galveston
I purchased 1985 Catalina 27 in June this year. I have been chasing electrical gremlins and have "caught" most. The remaining gremlins require the mast to be laid down. This is planned for the first of next year. That said, i'm hoping someone out there has a photo of how the boarding ladder is held in the up, stored position. Mine is currently held on one side by a short piece of 1/8" nylon. I feel this is mot as designed. Any help will be appreciated.

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
Catalina 27 Fair Haven, NJ
I also have an 85 C27 and my ladder is held up with a short lifeline gate with a pelican hook
2014-06-01 11.58.15.jpg

pmac

Jun 13, 2015
catalina 27 Galveston
Thanks for the picture. I guess I was over thinking the catch for the boarding ladder. Thanks again.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I stumbled upon these posts and have to ask... if you were to fall overboard, how would you release your ladder to use it?
With the clip so high up, and nothing to reach that would release it, isn't this problematic?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
CD has a part, Z1922 that is a latch, it bolts to the rail on either side of the ladder and is standard on all the walk through transoms. I've seen a number of 27s like yours that have retrofitted it.image.jpeg

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
We have our ladder secured with a line along with a bungee clip holding it all tight and secure. There is no rattling and it can be reached easily if anyone were in the water needing to bring down the ladder.
I have seen the latch but I can't recall how it is reached in emergency.

pmac

Jun 13, 2015
catalina 27 Galveston
Thanks for the info. I currently have it secured with a short piece of velcro. I feel i could reach it or pull hard enough to " undo" the velcro and be able to pull down and use the boarding ladder. I hope I never find out by falling overboard.