Birth of a new mainsail

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hmmm , I'm not a structural engineer, but Wikipedia puts the tensile strength of polyethylene at 37 MPa, and carbon fiber laminate at 1600 MPa. I look forward to your garbage bag air foil with the strength of Jackdaw's sail but 43 times the thickness. ;-) Seeing that design sounds almost worth the cost of admission.
Indeed, the huge value of laminated sails is the shape holding, not just in the long term, but also DURING sailing. Even when brand new, dacron stretches as breeze hits it, and the stretch translates into lost power. Laminated sails convert much more pressure into forward motion. It's the same reason you use low-stretch halyards and sheets.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Put the sails up to let it air out, un-crease the folds and let the glue set in. Fits very well. Will go for a test sail perhaps this afternoon! Beyond the function, I have to say that the black looks very cool.
I agree, even though it looks like trash bags from the pictures, it still looks pretty mean!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You must use VERY fancy trash bags! ;^)
I dunno about fancy, but I was very lazy last night and didn't roll the trash bin out for collection this morning :D:p

Being a single guy, I don't often make more than one trash bag per week. So if I leave one in the 90 gallon can 'till next week, no big loss! :cool::eek:

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Ah, ya gotta love them plastic sails! :)

I'm also getting a new main - just good ol' dacron, from North Sails here in Vancouver. I filled out a SIX-PAGE form with all the numbers, and I hope it's going to work. A few differences from the old one:
- Loose foot. We discussed this, and like the head-board I don't see any downside to it.
- 2 reef points instead of 3. I've never even used the second reef - when the wind picks up past 25 or so I just go jib-only. And anyway, I have a storm trysail...
- Higher clew: when I have the old main sheeted in tight, the boom scrapes across the dodger. I'm thinking it was fine when it was new, but now it's stretched out and too low. I suspect the new main will have the clew where the old one was when it was new.
- Full battens. Better for sail shape, less flogging, and easier to drop onto the boom.
- Proper shape. I'm no expert, but I can SEE the bag in the main: the "power curve" comes about halfway down the sail rather than 2/3 of the way towards the luff. I'm guessing that close-hauled, that main is contributing pretty much nothing but heel. I know that my speed increases from 1-2 to 5-6 when I raise the jib!

Anyway, nice-looking garbage-bag sail, Jack! ;)
druid

druid

Apr 22, 2009
BTW - that's one WIERD-LOOKING backstay attachment at the top of your mast!

druid

Nov 8, 2010
Ah, ya gotta love them plastic sails! :)

I'm also getting a new main - just good ol' dacron, from North Sails here in Vancouver. I filled out a SIX-PAGE form with all the numbers, and I hope it's going to work. A few differences from the old one:
- Loose foot. We discussed this, and like the head-board I don't see any downside to it.
- 2 reef points instead of 3. I've never even used the second reef - when the wind picks up past 25 or so I just go jib-only. And anyway, I have a storm trysail...
- Higher clew: when I have the old main sheeted in tight, the boom scrapes across the dodger. I'm thinking it was fine when it was new, but now it's stretched out and too low. I suspect the new main will have the clew where the old one was when it was new.
- Full battens. Better for sail shape, less flogging, and easier to drop onto the boom.
- Proper shape. I'm no expert, but I can SEE the bag in the main: the "power curve" comes about halfway down the sail rather than 2/3 of the way towards the luff. I'm guessing that close-hauled, that main is contributing pretty much nothing but heel. I know that my speed increases from 1-2 to 5-6 when I raise the jib!

Anyway, nice-looking garbage-bag sail, Jack! ;)
druid
You'll love all those changes. In particular the full battens.

Nov 8, 2010
BTW - that's one WIERD-LOOKING backstay attachment at the top of your mast!

druid
Its a backstay flicker. Very common on boats with roachy mains. Its basically a thick batten, and holds the backstay off the mainsail when the backstay is eased. When racing in light air we sail with the backstay fully off, and the flicker holds the stay above the sail. This allows the sail to be tacked or gibed without snagging. Our leech extends about 10 inches past the stay and would get snagged.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Its a backstay flicker. Very common on boats with roachy mains. Its basically a thick batten, and holds the backstay off the mainsail when the backstay is eased. When racing in light air we sail with the backstay fully off, and the flicker holds the stay above the sail. This allows the sail to be tacked or gibed without snagging. Our leech extends about 10 inches past the stay and would get snagged.
So it's kind of a "poor-man's running backstay" ;)

Nov 8, 2010
So it's kind of a "poor-man's running backstay" ;)
Sort of... running backs are gone from all but the most extreme fractional boats. The vast majority are mostly single backstays with flickers. Some squarehead mains are now backstayless. Full-on raceboats (like the C&C 30) will utilize runners.

Nov 8, 2010
Got out for a test sail with @cb32863 the night before last. Breeze started our in the low 20s; too much for a first sail with a new laminate so we sailed under jib alone for an hour. Later on the main lake the breeze dropped to 12ish and we had a blast setting up the new sail. Some minor rig tweeks to do but it is looking great.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Oh fun, the hi-res versions just showed up on my Facebook page...

Love this one, nice matching twist!

Clearly I'm enjoying this way too much...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Hell, we look like we know what we are doing! Well at least your trimmer for the day does.... ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Hell, we look like we know what we are doing! Well at least your trimmer for the day does.... ;)
Yep. And full marks for being caught constantly looking up at your sail. You know what I always say.......

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
How much longer is your boom than the foot of your sail? It almost looks like you could not flatten the sail any more than what it is right now.

Nov 8, 2010
How much longer is your boom than the foot of your sail? It almost looks like you could not flatten the sail any more than what it is right now.
Good eye. Another 1.5 inches out and its totally flat. That's the great thing about laminates. I had a sloppy bowline in the 2:1 outhaul loop that test sail day and could not pull it fully out and flat. I fixed that for last night's race (12-17 knots) at it was PERFECT.

Nov 8, 2010
First race with the new main and we take the win; even more impressive was our first-time main-trimmer's gutsy performance. In rainy, gusty (12-17), cold conditions. The sail is VERY fast... here we cross with a 27 foot Soling that owes us a ton of time. We JUST missed beating him on the water, and easily corrected over him and the rest of the fleet.