Registered users don't see ads

Best fire prevention device for sailboat w/ diesel engine, etc.

Discussion in 'Ask An Oday Owner' started by Pat, May 16, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Pat

Pat

Joined Jun 7, 2004
    1,209 posts, 45 likes
    Oday 272LE
    US Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
    my original fire ext. needs to be replaced I think....I purchased it in the spring of 1986...it says it is okay for use (green) but firedepartment down the street doubts it's as okay as it thinks it is..

thanks, Patrick in Wichita..

2. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    1,948 posts, 368 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    Get a fire blanket while you're at it. A big wool one. Unlike an extinguisher it doesn't run out in 20 seconds, and it can be the best answer for galley fires. Work well in combination with water for non-oil fires.

eherlihy likes this.
  3. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,672 posts, 565 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    +1 for the blanket. The best/cheap are army surplus wool blankets. Keep it handy

Make sure you put extinguishers where ever you need to exit the boat safely. Aft and V births - outside of galley space, lazerette (to assist those still in the boat).

Les

4. Capt jgw

Capt jgw

Joined Feb 8, 2014
    992 posts, 55 likes
    Columbia 36
    US Muskegon
    After a while the powder cakes up in the bottom of the bottle. Pressure reads ok but nothing will come out when you pull the trigger.
    By the way, one FE might keep the Coast Guard happy, but when you need one ten is not enough. I have six on my 36 footer, only required to carry two.

5. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,974 posts, 2,263 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    A fire on a fiberglass boat doubles in size every 3 seconds. It goes from non-issue to nuance to problem to disaster in about the time it takes to read this post. Working extinguishers everywhere. Your best chance to beat a fire is when it's small.

jon hansen likes this.
  6. Pat

Pat

Joined Jun 7, 2004
    1,209 posts, 45 likes
    Oday 272LE
    Thank you to everyone above for your great advice thoughtful ideas.....I agree....yes, the fire dept. says the gauge on the ext. might say okay, and hit might have pressure but what will be the quality of the contents after 30 plus years. I bought two today at our local purveyor of extinguishers.

7. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,672 posts, 565 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    I replaced the three on Mahalo with 4 . Didn’t need to but gives me piece of mind.

Les

8. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    593 posts, 247 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Ca Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
    Before throwing your old extinguisher out you should give it a couple of smacks with a rubber mallet ( to shake up the powder) then try putting out a fire. You never get too much practise.

9. Benny17441

Benny17441

Joined May 24, 2004
    5,451 posts, 325 likes
    CC 30
    US South Florida
    Fire extinguishers manufactured in 1986 lie if they say they are good today. The chemicals inside it are probably compacted into a rock that will not fit through the neck of the bottle even if there is propellant under pressure still in it. The useful longevity of fire extinguishers is determined by the length of time where 99% of those tested will operate properly. Not 50%, Not 75% but upwards of 99%. Check for the expiration date stamped on the bottle. You can help extend the life of a fire extinguisher by periodically removing it from its bracket, inverting it and tapping on the bottom and shaking to release any caked chemicals. The green arrow just indicates there is enough pressure but it does not indicate how much propellant is left. This is like propane tanks that will show enough pressure up to the moment before they run out. Fire is the worst thing that can happen in a boat so to have multiple extinguishers and replace them well before their expiration date will seriously enhance safety.

10. Pat

Pat

Joined Jun 7, 2004
    1,209 posts, 45 likes
    Oday 272LE
    Thanks to all of you for your advice.....Mine said it was okay, but the fireman I spoke with said to assume it would be caked in the bottom....Have purchased a new one and should heed the advice above and have one more close at hand...
    I appreciate everyone's great advice....I can't imagine the terror of a boat fire and it seems like a bad way to make the news....thanks again to all for the advice. Patrick in Wichita

11. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,622 posts, 700 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    And it gives you a good excuse to play with fire! :yeah:
    I probably need to get all of ours checked. They read in the green

12. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,174 posts, 565 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD

13. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,686 posts, 517 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME

Fuses and safe wiring....:wink:

jviss, dziedzicmj, Ward H and 2 others like this.
  14. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,161 posts, 999 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    It will give you an idea how much cleanup will be required for all that dry chemical inside your boat.

Michael Davis likes this.
  15. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    593 posts, 247 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Ca Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
    You got that right Gunni. I think there are at least 200# of dry chemical in a 5# extinguisher. Use to have my ext.done every year at work. Always used the old fills for the kids to put out fires in the backyard. They got pretty good at it.

All U Get likes this.
  16. Pat

Pat

Joined Jun 7, 2004
    1,209 posts, 45 likes
    Oday 272LE
    Ours was in the green as well, but the fireman I spoke with said that is a measure of pressure, not quality of retardant..so we got new ones....Thanks Justin...

17. Rick Webb

Rick Webb

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    2,678 posts, 104 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
  18. Sailm8

Sailm8

Joined Feb 21, 2008
    1,503 posts, 169 likes
    Hunter 29.5
    US Punta Gorda
    Does anyone have one of those fire access holes in their engine cover? It is on my project list. I also thought about one for the battery compartment.

19. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,672 posts, 565 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    I put one in my C36 engine cover - pointed at starter and alternator.

Les

Sailm8 likes this.
  20. geehaw

geehaw

Joined May 15, 2010
    231 posts, 5 likes
    O-day 25 shoal keel
    US Valdez
    I had mine serviced. Was told the same thing. They cake and told to shake them. Also the should be replace or serviced every 6 years. But to service them was only $5 cheaper then new ones. But have 3 so $15 is $15.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!