Bahamas trip

Dec 22, 2017
O’Day 30 Chattanooga
im sorry if this has been discussed before

I have owned my 1980 Oday 30 for almost 20 years. She is a sound Boat with very recent refit on most everything. I live in the Chattanooga Tn are and have only operated it in the lake and Tn river. I am considering taking a trip. My question is has anyone made a trip from Florida to the Bahamas on this type of boat. Aside from adding things like more water and simple things like that what do I need to. Is she even capable of making such a trip safely. I have read things labeling it as a coastal cruiser but I’m not exactly sure what that means. I’m not looking to do a crossing or anything close to that but am very interested in doing some Island hoping.

What’s you guys thoughts.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Your Oday 30 is an excellent model for a trip to the Bahamas! The longest legs are around 130 nm from Pensacola to Panama City and crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas, both of which could be classified as “coastal.” You are within 12 hours of a safe port on both of them.

Here are videos of a friend from the slip next to us in Sandusky who has gone south on the Great Loop, and is now in Florida on the way to the Bahamas.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCbmMgFgfYaDrzFVa55RGuKw

With today’s weather systems, you can easily avoid being caught at sea by a major storm on the trip.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Many from our club sail over each year in 30 to 35 foot boats. The secret is patience for a weather window. One boat had to wait almost 3 weeks to cross. It wasn't a wasted time since he just cruised the upper keys while waiting.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do not downplay the Gulf Stream crossing; in fair weather it can be a coastal cruise but let the weather turn and it can be a rough offshore passage. Many boats under 30' have successfully made the crossing but they require an able crew and a good weather window. Such a trip requires careful planning and scheduling. In the winter months finding a weather window can be tricky as the train of cold fronts start descending on Florida the North winds will oppose the strong current from the South creating a dangerous washing machine effect. In any conditions the Stream will induce a significant drift on a sailboat's course and you have to either start well South of your destination or zig-zag your way around the strongest part of the current which can stretch for miles. You do not want to approach Bahamian waters in the dark so a dusk departure from Florida will put you on the Islands in the early morning. There is no need to over pack when going to the Bahamas, ice, diesel, food and beer are readily available in the main islands but paper products are very expensive as they pay freight by volume so you may take what you think you will need. For the crossing just plan your meals and throw in a few canned goods in case of delay. Extra water is indeed very advisable. Allow 10-12 hours for the average crossing. For the 1st crossing I would recommend you pair up with another boat making the crossing and stay in radio contact. There is a lot of info online about making the crossing so I would suggest you read up on the how's and dont's. Cannot stress enough the importance of a good weather window; water won't settle down until some time after a front passes and will start building up as the next one approaches. With fronts coming down at 3 day intervals it does not leave much of a window and may take some weeks to get a fair window. oh, before I forget there is a lot of heavy and fast traffic in the stream so make every effort to make your boat visible and keep a watchful eye for traffic at all times.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
While I agree with Benny’s advice, I would say that “coastal cruising” certainly includes very choppy weather on the way!

Our Lake Erie experiences include some significant chop.

Jul 15, 2014
Oday 322 Freeport, Bahamas
My O'Day 322 has spent the last 6 years in the Bahamas (and down to the Dominican Republic). Before that I was on a Bayfield 29 and Norsea 27. Your 30 is perfect. Just don't try to come across the Gulfstream in any wind with a north component. Shortest crossing is Palm Beach to West End, Grand Bahama or Miami - Bimini.
I have crossed in a Sirius 21 and Hobie Cat 18. The previous owner did a great Bahamas 322 blog
Here it is http://www.sailingthetanqueray.com/p/destinations.html?m=0

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My question is has anyone made a trip from Florida to the Bahamas on this type of boat.
Lots and lots and lots of people have made that trip on boats like yours. The boat won't have any problems. As you have read above and I'm sure will read more below, it is the planning, prep and experience that is the real concern. If all you have is experience on the lakes and rivers in Tennessee you may not have the experience. However, the sail from where you are now to the east coast of Florida should provide you with plenty of experience. The Gulf Stream is unique but there is lots of knowledge available to the prudent sailor who pays attention.
I helped my father deliver a 50 foot boat from New Orleans to Clearwater Florida, we didn't make it because sht happens and an anchor rode chafed while sitting out a storm in Mobile Bay.
Another occasion in the Gulf sailing out of Panama city aboard our family schooner, my farther got me up at 2 am in the middle of a storm we were sailing through, so he could check the loran position. I was 14. 56' three masted schooner in 8' seas. We were doing fine on a beam reach. The Old Man went below and left the hatch open. A single wave washed over the entire boat. Our cockpit was at deck level, not sunken, and the wave just rolled right past emersing me to my armpit as I stood at the helm. I remember looking down the length of our boat and seeing nothing but ocean and two masts. Sunflower didn't even seem to respond as she spent about 2 seconds completely under 4' of water. We got a dodger right after that.
My point is, the boat can handle it. You need to make sure you know what you are getting into. I have no doubt you will do well.
I look forward to following your progress on this trip. Keep posting:thumbup:
- Will (Dragonfly)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
My thoughts are that your boat is theoretically fine for a Bahamas trip. But I recommend that you get some experience in open water sailing before you go. Sailing to The Bahamas and even within The Bahamas is a different experience than sailing in the Tennessee, where land is always within swimming distance, weather forecasts are reliable, waves are small, and you call 911 for help.

Before cruising The Bahamas, educate yourself on currents, tides, and how to anchor where both are significant. I took a whitewater kayak on one trip to The Bahamas and found places where the tidal current was fast enough to create fun eddy lines for playboating.

Dec 22, 2017
O’Day 30 Chattanooga
Thank you all for your quick and knowledgeable responses. I am going to have the boat hauled out next month and a new bottom job and thu hulls done. I have recently installed a gps setup but no auto pilot . I am looking into a radar setup and some solar stuff as well. I’m not going to make the trip alone. Is there anything in particular that I need to look at or do while she is out on the hard

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is there anything in particular that I need to look at or do while she is out on the hard
Center board, rudder, anti fouling bottom paint, rub rails & deck to hull joint, generally inspect as you normally would expect. You don't want anything leaking or falling off so anything that bolts through the hull should be well bedded and rust free with appropriate backer plates. Are you planning on installing a depth finder (recommended but not necessary).
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Islander yachts once produced a model called the Bahama 30. So, I imagine that somewhere someone did not see an issue taking a well-built, 30-ft boat across the stream from FL to the Bahamas. However, I suspect that most of the trips over there from FL are in the late spring (e.g., April) or early summer. Floridians do not like cold weather:yikes:. And, it's all about the weather. As Benny pointed out--the march of winter cold fronts down the Florida peninsula is not to be taken casually when cruise planning. By the time you get to Miami from Pensacola--you'll find out about them yourself.

BTW, if you're within 60 n.mi. of safe harbor, you're "coastal cruising." "Offshore cruising" is more like when you are more than a day's run to safe harbor. Boats typically have to be very well built for offshore cruising b/c they cannot escape bad conditions, so must face them, etc. "Weather windows" are not so easily exploited.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017
O’Day 30 Chattanooga
Center board, rudder, anti fouling bottom paint, rub rails & deck to hull joint, generally inspect as you normally would expect. You don't want anything leaking or falling off so anything that bolts through the hull should be well bedded and rust free with appropriate backer plates. Are you planning on installing a depth finder (recommended but not necessary).
- Will (Dragonfly)

The gps setup I installed last year has speed and depth on it. I am also planning on getting some form of chart setup for my I pad (any suggestions on which one is best). She is a fixed keel setup. Also I am planning on having a marine air installed as well.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty good advice above.. That model boat will be fine for the trip.. I don't know if the standing rigging was refit, but if not, inspect the swedged fittings carefully.. especially the ones whose open ends (where the wire enters) are "looking up" Any rust stains or cracking in the fittings are cause for replacing..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
While I agree with Benny’s advice, I would say that “coastal cruising” certainly includes very choppy weather on the way!

Our Lake Erie experiences include some significant chop.
David I agree the Great Lakes are no picnic; similar to the the Gulf Stream they present a unique set of difficulties to cruising sailors My purpose was not to redefine coastal cruising but to warn sailors that are not familiar with the Gulfstream about the need for careful planning and preparation. I have to say that I have encountered far worse weather conditions while coastal cruising than I ever have had in an offshore passage. I think it boils down to preparation.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sorry, but I really don’t like these types of questions.

No matter how big the boat is, if YOU don’t know it’s it up for it, YOU’RE not.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... I have to say that I have encountered far worse weather conditions while coastal cruising than I ever have had in an offshore passage...
I think I've posted before that the most scared I've been on a sailboat is about 3 miles from my apartment here in Greenport. It was the Crazy Ivan storm that raked the Off Soundings Fall Series fleet with 60 + mph winds. I haven't had much ocean sailing experience but I've seen my share of rough water and that was the worst. It was only a couple of hours until we were in a safe harbor. I wouldn't have wanted to do that for a whole day.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
No matter how big the boat is, if YOU don’t know it’s it up for it, YOU’RE not.
I would agree with that. But, it's the guy who doesn't ask the questions you really need to worry about. Every sailor starts, not knowing, at one point.
jedmondson848, what's your timeline look like? How much time have you spent with your boat? How much time before you expect to be out in the Gulf on your own?
Jackdaw's concern is more than understandable. Do you have friends with ocean experience who might be joining you on some early legs of the trip?
There're a couple of good thread going on about MOB emergencies, PFDs and preparedness for going overboard. Check then out.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/recognition-for-chesapeake-bay-rescue.189276/

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...-is-only-a-day-sail-a-milk-run-really.189288/
-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Going to the Bahamas is not brain surgery, you wait for a window and cross. This last week has seen seas 2 feet or less, which is a common occurrence in December. January and February the windows are short and infrequent.

With Explorer charts, you get quite accurate information. I have run the Little Bahama bank and the Great Bahama bank at night with no problem. Common practice. They are flat as a pancake with 12 foot depths.

In 6 plus years of full time cruising, the worst conditions were N Gulf of Mexico off the Panhandle. 8 foot confused seas all night. But we were impatient. Since then, not seen seas over 3 feet. Short term weather casting is quite good for coastal US. You just have to be patient. Having an SSB receiver to listen to Chris Parker once you are in the Bahamas is a good idea. He broadcasts 6 days a week at 0630.