Back in the water for the 2017 season....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Today is boat cleaning time to get her ready....

I also installed an anti torsion rope into my drifter sail to also use the Spinex furler drum and hopefully I can size the length today to install the tack fitting correctly.....

Still waiting for my asym spinnaker sail... might also start on sizing the Spinex top down rope to length as well time permitting.

Will shoot some pictures. This is going to be fun sailing with 2 furlers in the front.....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
First test fit of the Generator sail from Peak Sails.. Have to make the head section more plyable so it furls better....

Measured the continuous fueling line and spliced a 22' loop.

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Went back to the boat for another test fit of the drifter sail. Had worked the head patch so it is softer and furls better. Happy with the overall result. Also installed the continous furling line for the Profurl furler.

Here is my line/sheet/halyard setup:

Blue lines/sheets are for the main sail control.

Green lines are for the jib sail/furler.

Red lines are for the spinnaker/drifter Profurl furler.

Yellow is for the adjustable bobstay for the Trogear bow sprit.

This should make line handling easy to understand.

Attachments

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Well my boat is 95$ cleaned and waxed. Just have to bottom paint with VC-17. $53/qt.

Bad weather the next few days.

Then -- pollen will make my boat "dirty" again :-(

Launch --- next week ??

Looks like you put a handle on the bottom of your 1 piece hatch door.
I did the same. Makes removing/installing it a lot easier.

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hershey said:
Looks like you put a handle on the bottom of your 1 piece hatch door.
I did the same. Makes removing/installing it a lot easier.

Hershey
Yup, not my idea though.....Still don't like the hatch door. Always in the way when not sitting in the door opening. Have to think about a creative storage solution.....

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
The lower handle on the hatch was my idea. Storing the hatch door under one of the mattresses seems to work for me.

Of course, if the wind pipes up, best to have it in the hatchway.

Many years ago a Santana 20 broached and ended up sinking in the Hudson River, never to be seen again.
Had the hatch covers been in place --

Hershey

Jul 28, 2016
My boat went into the water and got the stick up yesterday. Lots to do and not enough time for my first race of the season on 5/2/17. Good thing the first race is a non-points race (tuneup), cuz I doubt I'll have time to finish putting the boat together. Set my sights on 5/9 I guess.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hershey said:
The lower handle on the hatch was my idea. Storing the hatch door under one of the mattresses seems to work for me.

Of course, if the wind pipes up, best to have it in the hatchway.

Many years ago a Santana 20 broached and ended up sinking in the Hudson River, never to be seen again.
Had the hatch covers been in place --

Hershey
The handle was a great idea. I always have the hatch closed under sail. Just when I am at the dock or maybe anchoring in the future it would be nice to make the hatch board go away.....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
My new asym finally was delivered yesterday evening. Hope to install the Profurl Spinex rope this weekend, time and weather permitting.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
I'm such a doofus.... I really should know better by now.

What is wrong with this picture:

No wonder the sail furled like crap. Adding insult to injury the torsion rope is now a foot too short.... expensive mistake....

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Bad enough to screw something up, but to have big letters spell it out for you...

YEP, I've done it too.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
shnool said:
Bad enough to screw something up, but to have big letters spell it out for you...

YEP, I've done it too.
I guess reading is not my strength....

Feb 16, 2017
After reviewing the set up, I would like to offer a suggestion or two.

First, Pull the halyard all of the way up.
Tie a downhual to the bottom of the furler.
Bring that back to a winch, pull the bejesus on it. When I set my boat up I will be mounting a rope clutch on the starboard side of the cabin top. This will lead directly to the jib sheet winch. This is the main reason reason I am installing a Barient 22 2 speed winch. No human can pull a halyard tight enough for a loose luffed sail nor will a Lewmar 7 or 8 winch, a Genoa sheet winch might if it is at least a 16, you need the power!!!

This will do two things.
1. It will elevate the drum to a better working height to the control lines.
2. It will elevate the clew, the clew is way to close to the deck, by raising the sail about 2 ft it will have a better lead position.
3. It will allow you to see under the sail.
4. Having the top swivel close to the sheave and having it really tight will force the swivel to work properly and wrap or put twists in the halyard.

These are only suggestions......results may vary see your installation manual for details. Or consult with your local yacht rigging blogger!!!

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Thx for the suggestions. I have an adjustable bowsprit so I could just move it up to shorten the halyard....

The drifter sail has a anti-torsion rope in the luff so that adds stability and to me tighten it with a winch worked ok so far (more real sailing time needed to verify.....).

The only potential problem I see with raising the top swivel is the lack of spacing between the jib furler and the spinnaker/drifter furler. Was thinking about potentially pushing out the spinnaker halyard sheeve to increase the distance between the two.....has someone done this successfully?

Feb 16, 2017
I will highly suggest that you keep the Sprit at a level position. The adjustment for the sprit is not something you would use when sailing. Mine will be a none adjustable so it doesn't move. Oh and I am goint with a 48'' sprint as well. Using a line as I suggested would be better. The shorter the distance from the sheave to furler is better. If there is any slack or sag from sailing as rigged the Code O furler will hang up on the Genoa furler for sure.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Furled the spinnaker for the first time despite wind not being perfect...

Right now tack is fixed but I might switch to an adjustable setup....

Attachments