Assuming that someone sees you -- isn't a good idea

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
This was posted on another forum that I follow: Scuttlebut.

It's visual proof of what problems can ensue by believing that on that clear, wonderful afternoon, you can't be subject to bad things happening.

That's not a dark night, in reduced visibility or some other less ideal situation.

Be safe out there.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That is not proof that problems can ensue by believing that bad things can't happen on a clear wonderful afternoon.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
"I wasn't using my cell phone, it's just that I was sitting down and couldn't see over the dash!"

Horrifying.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
As I posted in the other thread, at that range and closing speed I would have immediately sounded 5 short blasts on my horn. Might not have mattered, but visual signals don't work on someone that is not looking for them.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Wow....did the speed boat operator went to the head for #1? Oh look, there is no one around... The trio fishing were very lucky.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
SF makes a great point. Have a horn on board for this purpose. I have had one or two close calls on the water myself and being able to signal the other boat is key.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Yeah, I learned one day from a similar interaction. Similar situation, though I was under power, but directly under a bridge, with 50 yards of wooden boards on either side of me, so not a lot of room to maneuver. About a 28 foot powerboat screaming up the waterway towards us, bow very high, and clearly ignoring the no wake sign it was passing abreast of 200 yards away. He came off plane in plenty of time, but it was an uncomfortable 10 to 20 seconds watching him get closer very quickly.

I decided that day that two feet away in a closed laz is not close enough to have a horn. It is now out, and within reach, at all times.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Two of three where cops. Oops. One says he was traumatized, but some cash will make it better. Interestingly, two of three where not wearing PFDs, on the one that did vest did not inflate.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I've seen this in several places, but have yet to hear anything about the rescue. did the guy that hit them assist in the rescue ?
No-one was required to have PFDs on, and it appeared to be a calm day on the river, so most would feel comfortable without actually wearing them. Maybe less comfortable in the future however :yikes: .

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was thinking along the lines of the thread title a couple weekends ago when I saw a guy way out on the ice, fishing alone. No one around to help if he broke through. Didn't see any lines or anything to help pull himself out. A goner if anything happened.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
As I posted in the other thread, at that range and closing speed I would have immediately sounded 5 short blasts on my horn. Might not have mattered, but visual signals don't work on someone that is not looking for them.
It loooked to me like they didn’t have time for a horn.

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
I have a feeling that the sort horn of typically carried on a small boat would not have been loud enough to attract the speeding boat's attention. A ship's air horn would probably have been needed, I think, but I doubt the helmsman would have reacted quickly enough anyway.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
MODERATOR This message has been posted several times under different thread headings. Maybe the posts can be consolidated.

This message brings flash backs.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I have a feeling that the sort horn of typically carried on a small boat would not have been loud enough to attract the speeding boat's attention. A ship's air horn would probably have been needed, I think, but I doubt the helmsman would have reacted quickly enough anyway.

Tod, posted this above. While I'm a proponent of having a horn available -- that power boat wouldn't likely have noticed any horn noise from a handheld horn.
The background noise on most powerboats of that size (or even some much larger ones) that are running at something above a slow pace is a amazingly large.

You have a much better chance with a strong light or strobe at night/dusk.

That doesn't mean that having a horn isn't a good idea. The five blasts is in accordance with the signal for collision alert/emergency coming :^))).

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
You may be right, but the horn would have been a lot louder than the yelling they were doing, and my main point was that jumping up on the stern locker and waving "taller" was clearly not going to do the job. If the approaching boat had had a lookout, one can reasonably hope that a course change would have happened before the first fisherman looked up and recognized the predicament.

I was really impressed that they all managed to choose the better side of the boat to go off from, though maybe that was really obvious from their angle, rather than the angle of the camera. Late in the video the still pictures of the prop damage to the port side of the fishing boat interior was truly horrifying.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
the pictures of the prop damage to the port side of the fishing boat interior was truly horrifying.
And that was welded plate aluminum. Usually these things don't go so well, or are recorded. Truly miraculous that no one was injured or killed.