Alarms

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Smoke alarms, CO2 alarms, propane alarms, bilge alarms, not to mention ELCI and GFCI circuit interrupters... there's a lot to check, test and maintain on your boat.

What kind of alarms do you use aboard and how often to do you check and test them?

alarm.png

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Propane sniffer. Turn it on and wait before lighting cook top to be sure all is clear.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
We have 6 bilge alarms, which go off when a bilge pump operates. We have engine oil pressure, engine temp, low battery voltage, drive temp, generator temp, and water in fuel filter alarms. We also have an automatic Halon fire suppression system in the engine room, with an alarm.

We’ve had the engine temp go off recently just when entering a marina (!), which resulted from a broken accessory drive belt, and an aft bilge pump go off because of a leaking shaft packing.

Do those count as “tests”?

I do lift the float switches periodically to assure that at least the pumps start and the alarm sounds.

Nov 6, 2012
Hunter 27 Penetang ON
Carbon monoxide alarms (that's CO - not CO2) are vitally important to me. The factory-installed, hard-wired one adjacent to the engine compartment had an expiry/replacement date of 2015, which I only realized last season, so I'm installing a battery-powered one this season in the aft cabin. The Yanmar engine temperature alarm has saved my diesel (not to mention my pocket book!) on two occasions over twelve seasons. I involuntarily "test" the smoke alarm factory-installed under the coach roof over the galley every time I make toast. It's a pain, but it's reassuring to know that it's OK.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Phil thanks for posting this subject a very important one at that and one that receives absolutely no attention for most owners.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just started to replace my bilge float switch with an Aqualarm Smart switch. It comes with a small piezo alarm that sounds off after the pump has run for more than 2 minutes. I haven't decided yet where the best place to install it is.

Any of you older sailors, like me, find that you can no longer consistently hear audible alarms?
I think I would add some flashing lights if/when I get to that point. My 93 year old father-in-law is deaf as a post, but my 90 year old mother still hears everything. Men are probably more affected by a lifetime of noise. (not implying wives).

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
https://goodforgas.com/hazardous-gases-associated-lead-acid-battery-charging-stations/
Battery off gassing is a concern. I've heard of live aboards having health issues from poor battery placement and ventilation. My plan is to maintain good ventilation in the tiny cabin of Dragonfly. Haven't gotten to that point so haven't looked into gas detection devices yet.
A bilge alarm seems like a good idea with an automatic pump, if the boat is kept in the water.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
After getting my Insurance renewal couple years back, with a separate warranty stating, the Owner shall maintain ALL safety equipment as required, otherwise Insurance will be null and void, I went through and thoroughly checked everything on the boat. I now have all new CO, propane, smoke alarms, as all had expired. The "ouch" was 3 CO marine rated detectors.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
An alarm story. We were asleep on our new e33Hunter one evening. At 0400 a horrible screeching alarm woke me from a dead sleep. My immediate thought was “oh &@&/, the high water alarm is going off and we are sinking”. I grabbed my glasses and flew into the main salon expecting to be sloshing in water and I wasn’t! Now I’m wondering in the ;&@ was that ? Just then, I noticed the screen on my cell phone go dark. Now I’m really confused. I open my cell phone and there on the screen, was a freaking amber Alert at 0400 90 miles away. I found out it woke half the marina at 0400. It was a new feature added and auto configured to all Amber Alerts with an audible screeching alarm. That alarm has now been “disconnected.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The "ouch" was 3 CO marine rated detectors.
Where do you install 3 CO detectors on a 33 foot boat? I can see perhaps one near an aft cabin, one forward, or perhaps one for the engine, one for the galley. Is there an accepted minimum quantity or list of locations?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've got some of the standard alarms, oil pressure, coolant temperature and exhaust temperature and high level bilge alarm but I guess some are a little different and or, my use of them is different.

I have an electric bilge pump and float switch located at about the 5 gallon mark in a deep bilge. I use the manual bilge pump to clear the bilge keeping that always working. Wired into that float switch is a red light mounted in the companionway.

No horn as the float switch can close under boisterous conditions and hosing out the bilge.

I like it especially sailing or powering at night. 5 gallons will alert us to a broken hose on the water tanks before you lose too much; raw water coolant leak, hot water heater letting go, and of course a hull leak.

It's nice to know the light will be unmistakable above or below decks.

The oil pressure and coolant alarms give peace of mind at night, especially if I'm not at the helm(gauges).

The exhaust alarm I especially added for eel grass or debris clogging the raw water strainer. I suppose it might come in handy for not turning on the raw water as well.

With CNG I skip the gas alarm (but have a solenoid switch we use always).

I don't have a CO alarm but never burn anything overnight.

I've been told by my family we have a low voltage alarm on one of our gizmo's,...but I've never heard it. :)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
At the moment I'm working on an anchor alarm; the most important to the safety of our boat, IMHO. Not to dismiss or discount the other alarms covered in this thread, I want an alert in the middle of the night if whatever pressure on the boat is causing it to move.

Our boat came with a Loran that has an anchor alarm feature. It came in handy until some obscure government agency shut it down a few years ago. Some talk about reviving it, but until then my Garmin 178C Sounder has an anchor alarm feature. All I need now is a door buzzer that will operate under 100 milliamp.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Just the basics; Engine temp alarm, smoke detector and bilge pump alarm on the secondary (higher) bilge pump. The primary bilge pump is on a cycle counter, which I would say is a silent alert.
I check the smoke alarm monthly and the bilge pump alarm weekly during the sailing season. Now that I think of it, I don’t really know how to check the engine temp alarm.

Oct 25, 2018
Columbia C-41 Carrabelle
Maybe cut the ground wire and solder a strobe or other bright light to the bitter ends of the ground lead so that when the alarm sounds the light also illuminates.