A UNIQUE C22...with a treasure trove of modifications.. Presenting.. "BOAT"

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'd bet that is the only self-steering windvane ever mounted on a C22 in history. Man has balls..

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Wow, but someone has a serious obsession about plumbing upgrades in a weekender cruiser boat. Plus how do you run all that stuff, pumps and all when not plugged in at a marina (which probably has less cramped plumbing available)did not see pix of massive battery bank needed to operate all the stuff. But on other hand, it is fun to add things that matter to you and figure out how to fit them on the boat and make them operate, so go for it. Been playing around with converting cockpit into hot tub or maybe water bed, but still working on idea while in my recliner at home near a real bathroom. LOL

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The owners would clearly disagree. Their money, their sweat, their enjoyment and consequences.
Some would say that spending money racing a sailboat is a complete waste of money and time. "Why not get a power boat that actually goes fast ?"
Or fixing up a old wooden boat... or... or... or..
That I'd hold as self-evident. Rare is a individual who voluntarily spends money on something they think adds no value.

The general consensus is usually what people think of when we say SHOULD.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The general consensus is usually what people think of when we say SHOULD.
Not in my mind.

I'd make the case that the best innovations avoid general consensus.

Saying "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD" dengrates the choices they made IMO.

Like I say, i'd love to interview them and find out the background behind their choices, and if they met their personal expectations.

Don't get me wrong. Many are not choices I would have made, but they may have worked well for their needs... who knows.

Oct 25, 2015
Catalina 22 Cave Run Lake ky
Racer are just as crazy.
I bought a boat for $350, $400 for a new (older) mast, $500 for a new bottom and keel job with a lot of personal labor, then spent $3000 for new sails. The sails lasted 3 years racing, the bottom and keel job was ruined the first year when I ran in to rock racing and I can sell the hull for $500 locally. Present value $500 and I still can't beat out of town boats that are older.