A UNIQUE C22...with a treasure trove of modifications.. Presenting.. "BOAT"

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Evening all !

A current thread mentioned a uniquely modified early design Catalina 22.
While I have found photos of the boat online, I know nothing about it, other than the photos and the related info about it's owners.

"BOAT" is a Catalina 22 owned by David & Barbara Thomson of Reno, NV, USA.
Evidently the boat saw regular use in San Francisco Bay, and was berthed on Lake Tahoe.

First the outside:

A Dodger and cover for complete cockpit:
boattent.jpg deckdodger.jpg

Stern Anchor:
(There is a tiny photo thumbnail that seems to show the chain dropping through a hawsepipe into the port cockpit locker)
anchorstern.jpg

Two more stern shots. Notice the Navik windvane ?
boatstern.jpg boatnavik.jpg

Navik windvane closeup:
boatself.jpg boatrudder.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Outboard motor installed into a custom well with external controls:
Can you say DIY inboard ?
inboardenginec.jpg inboardenginecov.jpg inboardsoundcover.jpg
inboardwell1.jpg inboardmount.jpg inboardgauages.jpg

Cockpit looking forward:
linesport.jpg linesstar.jpg boatdoors.jpg boatdoor.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The typical "Queen size berth" mod:
bedbunkboards.jpg

A new galley complete with gimbaled stove, large water tank, permanent drain, wine glass storage, and lots of extra storage !
boatglasses.jpg boatleeboards.jpg boatgalley.jpg boatgimbal.jpg
galleywater12.jpg galleypermdrain.jpg

Cabin heater !
boatheat.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
An actual keel LOCKING pin... not your grandpa's friction lock !
keellock.jpg keellock2.jpg keelfriction.jpg

(Looks like a glassed in tube with a removable cap on the port side under the seat. Not sure what the clamp on the friction lock is for ? )

Cockpit drains and a better look at the water tank:
boatdrains.jpg

Deck mounted fuel filler neck, a cooler, electric pump, and a Guzzler bilge pump
(not sure what the ice chest and electric pump is about. Surely not just for food and water on this extreme boat makeover. Maybe it is a DIY draft beer system. hehe)
fuel14galbelly.jpg icepump.jpg boatguzzler.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Final photo...
Masthead with CDI furler, topping lift, and possible spinnaker, and/or ?
boatspincrane.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Well... How about them apples ?
The rest of us can now, simply, pack up the tools and go home.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I hope Cindy never sees that Dickson marine heater in that C22. We're putting the lp version in our camper and she has already asked me if we can put one in the boat.
Curious how low in the water this boat sits fully loaded? Neat mods though.

Sam

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I always look with interest at these overkill boats that come up sometimes. On the one hand its admirable how much work goes into something like this. A lot of time and money as well. Im sure the owners have fun with it. But then I think, its still a 22 foot boat. And if they ever decide to sell, its a complete money loss. I would not be attracted to that boat even if it was selling at the price of a "stock" boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Interesting mods. It must be a slug though. Trailaerable, but not the C22 it was meant to be.
It begs the question: why not get a bigger boat?

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I think it looks great. What it really comes down to in this world - is how happy the owner is with it. He put a lot of thought and effort into it, and it's customized exactly the way he wants. Who cares what the resale value might be - it's probably worth a million bucks to him. The personal satisfaction he gets from doing that in his life is what it's all about in my mind. There might be a niche market for crewed charters.. :beer:

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
@Leeward Rail, thanks for digging those pics up and posting them. I have wondered for YEARS what the inside of that boat looked like! Now I know. :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
if they ever decide to sell, its a complete money loss
Depends on who buys it. I can't see it costing too much to do, just lots of time.
ANY boat is a money loss . It all depends on what degree.
With a smaller boat the actual dollars lost would likely be lower.
People spend $23,000 for a new C22 Sport, which seems a goofy idea over buying the last of the New Design instead.
Look at Chip Ford's boat.... $45,000 invested. Last I saw he was trying to get 7k for it. That is the most extreme investment in an old C22 i've seen dollarwise. (not sure what C22 racers spend on their boats).

Wow. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
The owners would clearly disagree. Their money, their sweat, their enjoyment and consequences.
Some would say that spending money racing a sailboat is a complete waste of money and time. "Why not get a power boat that actually goes fast ?"
Or fixing up a old wooden boat... or... or... or..

It begs the question: why not get a bigger boat?
Not trailerable behind their vehicle ? Not enough storage space ?
Other financial priorities ?
Bigger is far from always better.

Who knows why.

I'd love to interview them and find out the story and what led to each modification.
(Porcelain head excepted. It likely came from the factory like that.)

I can completely understand the cabin heater. We have discussed it as an option.

Last edited: