A serious question.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I'll apologize up-front and say I like it.. Always have liked it. It reminds me of all the good times I've enjoyed. I'm not aware of other Christopher Cross songs so It must be the ballad 'Sailing'....I like waking up in a cove and hearing it while I make coffee and or in the evening before sunset while slipping up in a cove to anchor and cook dinner.....there you go...I'm a day-dream believer too. Patrick

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
While we're sharing favorites this is probably at the top of my list.

Nothing like turning this up on a Sunday morning as the sun just starts to burn though fog and mist, when we have the cove to ourselves, of course :yeah:

Sam​

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta

Surprized no one Mentioned I'am sailing by Rod Steward.

This has gotta to be one of my favourites.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Funny thing that this thread started. A few weeks ago I was "wasting time" and did a search for the song "Sail Away" on I Tunes. This has to be the most covered "sailing" song ever. Of course the most popular is by David Gray (thumbs up) and Styx (thumbs down). Seems that everyone from the Allman Brothers to Temptations have a version in every genre from acoustic thru reggae! If you have a bit of time to waste, check it out. Way too many to post here! You gotta find at least one that you like.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Forgot about "Sail On" from the Commodores, that was popular with the girls too.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
How about a new song entirely for we who actually play an instrument. It's a bit melancholy, not specifically related to sailing, it's a bit like a ballad, and super easy for any guitar pickin' wannabe! Sort of Gordon Lightfoot-ish! Whatcha think? Should it make the play list?

https://www.azchords.com/b/bookoffears-tabs-58929/thewaterletsyouin1-tabs-832735.html

The young man goes out looking for the diamond in the sea
the old man rows his boat to shore and falls with twisted knees

And you'll drown before the water lets you in
Yeah, you drown before the water lets you in

The feeling that I feel the most is the one that follows me
all across the starry coast from sea to diamond sea

Says you'll drown before the water lets you in

I think the thing I wanted most was just never meant to be
a thousand waves, a thousand ghosts their sorrows follow me

And you'll drown before the water lets you in

Oh, oh, oh....

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
While we're sharing favorites this is probably at the top of my list.

Nothing like turning this up on a Sunday morning as the sun just starts to burn though fog and mist, when we have the cove to ourselves, of course :yeah:

Sam​
Come on man!!! That's Van Hagar, not Van Halen! Good song none-the-less?

Nov 30, 2015
Ok, back to the original post...I'm OK with CC and "Sailing" too! Very nostalgic melodies, although not at the top of our playlists. We do have an "Anthem" for our boat, which we use as both mellowism and crew recruitment, as needed. I first heard it way back when, performed by "Orleans", and it left a permanent scar on my psyche. If you poo-poo this song, than you should consider yourself...well poo-poo! I think Steve Wariner performs it best!

Nov 30, 2015
Not just a breakup song. It's a divorce song. I'll never understand women.
Maybe @flynhi4u can explain them.
...so I'm giving you back you're name....yeahhhayeahhhh...yes I'll be on my way...I'm looking for a good time. I actually lived this divorce song. If the shoe fits....WEAR IT!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Greyhound makes my day! :)

There are tons of C&W songs with titles and lyrics that do "justice" to relationship realities. And parodies of them, too. :) Some of the parodies are truer! :stir: Like the one that goes: "Why does that cowboy start a loong cattle drive on a horse he don't like?"

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
And now for my all-time favorite love song. Not really a make out song but a love song nonetheless.