84 Catalina 22 have a lead or cast iron swing keel?

Mar 17, 2017
Catalina 22 Watauga Lake, TN
I was looking at a boat that's been in freshwater slip, keel down, for 10 years. I've read that 'earlier' MK1 Cat 22's had cast iron but then switched to lead for a time. Does anyone know for sure?

thanks,
Todd Parrish

Mar 17, 2017
I haven't looked at it yet. Guess I'll be able to get at top of keel from cabin and put a magnet to it.

thanks,
Todd

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Try the Catalina 22 forum or the Catalina association https://www.catalina22.org/ If you know the year I am sure someone like @CaptDon01 could tell you for sure. Also @CloudDiver has a great resto thread to help fix just about anything on an earlier boat.

And Welcome to the Forum This is one of the best resources on the web for questions on all types of sailboats! But you likely knew that already

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2017
Try the Catalina 22 forum or the Catalina association https://www.catalina22.org/ If you know the year I am sure someone like @CaptDon01 could tell you for sure. Also @CloudDiver has a great resto thread to help fix just about anything on an earlier boat.

And Welcome to the Forum This is one of the best resources on the web for questions on all types of sailboats! But you likely knew that already
Thanks for the info! Good to know there's folks to ask. I've sailed a Precision 18 for last couple of years and found this opportunity to upsize. I guess swing keel solid design, if the whole assembly in good shape. If deck integrity is good it's probably hard to go wrong.
Todd
Todd

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Definitely iron, unless the keel has been replaced relatively recently (which would be a huge plus!). I can't recall offhand when Catalina first began using encapsulated lead keels, but it was much later ... 2000-ish?

Mar 17, 2017
Yeah, the way article I read was worded I thought they meant switched to lead before the switch to encapsulated.

thanks
Todd