22 ft SC

Jul 4, 2011
South Coast 22' indianapolis
The more I look at all this the more I know (I DON'T KNOW). There are just so many things you can do with sailing. I wish I had gotten the bug along time ago. So we ended up in Chicago looking at a 28Ft Morgan OI. I loved it wow what a boat!! But my wife, well she felt cramped. OK. So it was time to regroup and think this over more. In the mean time I am sanding all the funky milky white stuff off the South Coast and repainting inside. I got the hardware for the rudder and will be working on it. All while rewiring everything from top to bottom. This weekend plans are to build a rack to get it off the trailer as it really needs work to. A 22 ft is what I have and it will do for now. Goal for this summer is to get this as close to the lake as I can. And enroll in a Certified Sailing School. All I need is Time and Money... This won't be a boat for the loop or to sail the Caribbean with but it is good enough to learn on. And with luck catch a lake trout or two.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Trucker... Dream's should be nurtured.
Here are a couple of links to folks who have sailed the Great Loop. .....
Here are two more who did it with Macgregor 26 X's ....

http://chinook.cecka.us/?cat=8
https://thejillkristy.wordpress.com/

Mike and Sandy (first link above) also did a side track over to the Bahamas during the trip (their 3 time there),

Sumner
=======================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you are going to get sailing lessons, suggest your better half attend as well. Never good to teach a signifigant other. Remember the old saying never teach the other how to drive.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
shemandr
From a former dealer perspective, that was very true, not ugly to say as I saw too much fighting amongst couples. Learned in the beginning to have an instructor to teach both and a funny comment I always said, whoever was at the wheel is the Captain who gets to bark orders which of course got a lot of laughter. Worked very well for me till the day I retired and my customers were very appreciative. On the large boats, I usually committed to a week of training on systems/docking and a week of sailing to include use of electronics. Most of the time it did not take that long but again my customers were appreciative I went above and beyond to make their sailing experiences memorable.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Or ski. Wow, that was ugly!
@shemandr

Oh MAN! I thought that was just me....
Did that.... on our honeymoon. Brown County Indianna on a hill with the rope "lift"... you know, the kind you grab and it pulls you up the hill. Never actually got to the top of the hill...ended with the bottom of her ski pants ripped open and tears running down her face. She hasn't left yet but not sure why.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rgranger;
You have a wonderful wife just like me that puts up with you. Knowing things, both of you love one another and that is what counts above all. She is your wife and best friend.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
If you are going to get sailing lessons, suggest your better half attend as well. Never good to teach a signifigant other. Remember the old saying never teach the other how to drive.
I taught my lady to shoot and to ride a motorcycle. She shoots quite well but still afraid of the bike.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Dave, you were a good boat dealer - and a good guy. I've learned from your posts that you took care of your customers in ways that most price shoppers couldn't understand. I wish the e.world would take a lesson from you and those that ran their businesses in that way.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
shemandr; I was taught the old way of doing business. My first sale was written on toilet paper in a restaurant with notes on it and a handshake. Customer laughed but was surprised I kept to my word as he was an attorney. If you take care of customers, they will come back and pass the word around. I wish the world but most importantly our country could work together as a nation, not as a global nation.

Budgates; If you had seen what I saw couples teaching sailing to one another, then you would understand. Yes there are those moments couples can teach one another and that is a plus in a marriage like yours. Congrats.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
... But my wife, well she felt cramped...
That's what I was thinking when I read that you were considering a 29-footer.

Sumner's Mac26S blogs are fascinating, but eventually he and Ruth decided that it was too small for long-distance cruising and bought an Endeavor 37.

Retirement means that you are not constrained to weekends and two-week vacations. Cramming into a small boat gets old fast.

America's Great Loop can be friendlier than the Bahamas for a small sailboater, but most people prefer a trawler. Search on Youtube for a British guy who took a small sailboat down the ICW, then repeated using a trawler. He describes pros and cons of doing such a trip in each vessel, including fairly detailed speed and fuel consumption data.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....Sumner's Mac26S blogs are fascinating, but eventually he and Ruth decided that it was too small for long-distance cruising and bought an Endeavor 37....
Partially correct ;). Ruth was a non-swimmer and it was I who thought she would be more comfortable/secure with a larger boat. Never sold the Mac and after she passed away was when I took it to the Bahamas by myself. Since meeting Dottie we took the Mac for a 13 day trip on Flaming Gorge Reservoir...

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2016 Flam-Gorg/Trip Index.html

... last summer and stayed on the boat, anchored or beached, for the trip. We hope to do some longer trips on the Mac this year.

Right now we have been in Florida making upgrades to the Endeavour but a few health issues have been getting in the way but still hope to be in the water in a few weeks for a month or so and hope to return next winter for a much longer trip on the boat.

I think the size of the boat depends a lot on what people are expecting out of it. The Endeavour is way larger than the Mac but I still love the Mac and would do a long trip with her if Dottie was up to it,

Sumner
=====================================================

Jul 4, 2011
South Coast 22' indianapolis
Well the years sure fly by. This is still sitting out back. I have 3 years left to work at least.
And my mind is made up. It is getting overhauled. Full refit. I just can't bring myself to scrap it so I may as well put a few grand in it to play with. In the end boats cost money. This weekend I am going to make stands so I can pull the trailor out. For an overhaul. I just put new tires on it and have a new set of lights. I've started painting inside and will finish that up soon then all new wiring. Im going figure out this boom to. I set the mast along the side of my yard to keep it from getting damaged, the kid next door wanted to help me out and mowed over the shrouds. Thanks kid. I think in the end i will most likely end up with 2 sailboats. We are going to do the gulf and maybe Baja when my life changes, but for now Culver Indiana has a great little lake that will be just right for this floating camper. Maxintuckee is a very nice lake.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Well the years sure fly by. This is still sitting out back. I have 3 years left to work at least.
And my mind is made up. It is getting overhauled. Full refit. I just can't bring myself to scrap it so I may as well put a few grand in it to play with. In the end boats cost money. This weekend I am going to make stands so I can pull the trailor out. For an overhaul. I just put new tires on it and have a new set of lights. I've started painting inside and will finish that up soon then all new wiring. Im going figure out this boom to. I set the mast along the side of my yard to keep it from getting damaged, the kid next door wanted to help me out and mowed over the shrouds. Thanks kid. I think in the end i will most likely end up with 2 sailboats. We are going to do the gulf and maybe Baja when my life changes, but for now Culver Indiana has a great little lake that will be just right for this floating camper. Maxintuckee is a very nice lake.
Here’s a sailing photo of my old SC22 for motivation and inspiration, we completely refit it many years ago. Mine had a big crack in the bottom near the centerboard pin and the barnacles had barnacles when we got it. It was my first boat and I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into, but we managed to finish it and had a blast sailing it.

78C133D4-3504-4779-BBE3-C17996662A83.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018
Challenger Moth 11' 2311 Memphis, TN
Since I am new to the forum, I have been catching up on Trucker's saga with his SC 22 and it has brought back many memories. My parents bought a SC 22 brand new in 1975 and kept it until 1992. Sailing with my parents, my wife and I had many a sailing adventure on that boat "back in the day." I have several old photos of the SC 22 (which my father named "Aardvark") that I will try to scan and post so that you can compare to your SC 22.
As to your losing the interior due to water in the cabin, as I remember the cabin was fairly sparse anyway, compared to the O'Days, Catalinas, and other similar makes of their day. My parents bought a portable plastic sink for their SC, since they had the option to buy the boat fitted out by the dealer or by themselves. They opted for the cheaper route. They also simply used a Coleman-style ice chest for their ice box. I believe they also used a camp stove for cooking. The boat truly was a "camper on the water." But for us, who were used to sail-camping on a Lone Star 16 for many years using sleeping bags on the cockpit seats for beds, the SC 22 was luxury. My parents trailer-sailed the SC to the Gulf coast several times, sailing around the area from Gulf Shores to Pensacola, but its "home port" was typically Pickwick Lake on the Tenn. River. So, you can have a blast sailing on your SC 22 once you have it seaworthy.