2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
IMGP0137.jpeg Lund Marina filled up for the Shellfish Festival. Great feed of prawns and oysters today!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Just had our first sea trial cruise to Fossil Bay. I think my new engine needs an electric fuel pump. Most of time it starts rough and then takes off. Then, after about 30 sec., it falters and sometimes dies. Sometimes it does well. After death, push the start button and starts well and all is good for the day. Beta says max lift is 1/4m or about 9.7 inches. What I dont know is how that is calculated. Tank is under 1/4 berth. Calculated from bottom of tank or top? Fuel comes out the top through pickup tube. It then goes into engine space through shutoff valve and into Racor. Out the Racor and down to hull at fwd bottom of engine stringer. Then up the hull to mech lift pump...will talk to Beta tomorrow. Distance from hull to lift pump is double 1/4m. Then the head plugged up. Took a six mile hike and left it alone so maybe things would soften up. NOT..short story is a coat hanger had to go up the hose from the joker valve. Got everything cleared up but where the tailpiece (with joker valve) attaches to the head leaks and squirts. Tried different valve and numerous attempts. No go so I gave up. So our last day was with the brown bucket....Tomorrow is another sh#$$y day....(Raritan PHII)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It’s calculated from the highest lift which would be the bottom of the tank. I have a turbine pump you can have.

Les

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Got the head fixed. I hope I never again have to bust into the sewage system without clearing the lines first. Never really figured out what choked it. Maybe waiting a few days would have done it..The 90 deg elbow and flange did not naturally mate up to the toilet “naturally”. Strange..I loosened the hose clamps on the elbow and shifted the hose a bit and got a natural fit and put it all together and it works...Talks with Beta tomorrow..

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Never really figured out what choked it.
Glad to hear that part cleared. I agree, very unpleasant working with the sewage system. Had a similar problem with ours when we took possession in 2002, but finally traced it to a plugged tank vent scupper. But, had to work through the entire system from toilets, to pumps, hoses, tank, etc., before finally reaching the trouble source. Learned much in the process, and adopted a pump out procedure that has kept the system trouble free ever since.

Story here: https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6003&mn=42

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Tank is under 1/4 berth
Ours is as well Mark. The Racor is at valve cover height and I use an electric pump to fill up the lines when bleeding the fuel system and by-pass it once running. This seems to form a natural syphon effect so I have positive pressure at the engine lift pump. It has worked well so far this summer. Not sure what would happen if the line broke between the racor and the engine but they are all new lines this year.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So here’s the latest..i dcided to install a lift pump on this new engine. During the look-see, I noticed ATF under the engine and in the rubber hull rings of the saildrive. ATF is puking out of the breather at the top. Did I say this only has 19 hrs on it? Phone calls between Beta dealer and Sausilito and Sausilito to NC.. The only way this can happen is water ingress developing into an overfill situation. So tomorrow is pumping the rest of ATF out of the saildrive and see if water is present. I have to pressurize through the dipstick hole and drain out the other side through an M10 hole..try finding all plumbing and adapters etc to make this happen. Spent three hrs today trying...I think I finally have a plan.. after this, I am turning it all over to Beta and walking away. If there is saltwater in this drive. My stand replace and no repair. We’ll see how that goes. I am so pissed..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Status: no water in oil. So were back to square one of why oil is exiting the breather. Oil does have a particulate in it and will try filtering it on monday to see what it is. Could be just gear lash breakin stuff. Beta wants me to reffill per the book procedure and run it...That’s a week out as I have a photo shoot in SE WA. I kinda hijacked Mike’s thread.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes it is. A bit like a pub. Your the customer and we are bar tenders. We listen. We keep the secrets.

Dec 25, 2000
If your the barkeep i’ll Have another round please. Make it a double
Hi John, you missed a very lively Skipper's Night at Scuttle Butts this past Wednesday. Glad to see that Les was able to make it. First for me in quite awhile. Hoptopia was delicious, and taking Les' advice, had a double, too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We need to be careful. Les can lead us down a path we might find ourself lost in fun and thirsty solutions.

Glad you made it to the Captains table. Heard you are putting your boat on the hard in Everett.

I am working on Honey Do's here. Spring brings out the flowers and the lists of "we should do this and we should do that".

Dec 25, 2000
I am working on Honey Do's here. Spring brings out the flowers and the lists of "we should do this and we should do that".
Huh!!! You, too? Arrgghh, $754 to haul/splash, pressure wash, three day layup at Port Gardner. Checking around, LaConner about $100 less. If Everett will price match:laugh::laugh:, I'll do it there, otherwise, LaConner.

On a separate note, were you pleased with the FRP work done on your boat? If so, who did the repair?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Terry don’t forget to factor in drive time, sander rental and hotels into the costs