1985 Catalina 27 sleeping for 4 adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptsbug

Aug 14, 2006
Paceship PY23 keel c/b North Branch, MN
We are looking at an upgrade from our 23 foot trailerable and located a 27 that would require a weekend trip to go and view.
I would love any input from other owners regarding the boats ability to satisfy space for 4 adults for a few days out on the hook.

I am 6'3 and luckily have a short 5'2 7/8 spouse, we sleep in the v-berth of our PY23 with ease and allow our growing kids to sleep on the longer berths (heaven forbid they touch each other).

Does the 27 v-berth have the space to sleep 2 adults?
Could 2 adults sleep in other areas of the boat without being cramped?

The kids are almost ready for college and I can't afford a bigger boat, looking for a slightly larger boat with standing room and an enclosed head.

I assume the boat has an anchor locker.

Thanks in advance for input.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.

We have a Family boat... '80 Catalina 27 and your question really depends on the 4 people and how the boat is set up. Keep it uncluttered and open the hatch and the V berth is probably ok for you but I don't know how it compares to the 23. We use the starboard berth for storage but if you can keep that clear it would sleep a tall adult very well. The Starboard settee is long and would work for another tall adult and the port settee is shorter. Personally if it were warm out I think I would prefer sleeping in the cockpit on comfy cushions with air... not so claustrophobic. Our personal boat is a Cat. 30 and I would tell you that ifyou could stretch to a 30 it would make a world of difference. Good luck!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I moved up from a Mac 25 to the Cat 27 and the Cat seems palatial by comparison. The V-berth is easier to climb into because of the higher ceiling. At 6-3 you may feel the urge to stoop except at the large hatch where the sky is the limit. The other seats as mentioned are plenty long. A real plus for your wife is the closet where you can hang clothes. The cockpit is also a good size for 4 people. The beam I believe is 8-10 which really makes it spacious.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I lived on a 1977 C27 with my wife i'm 6'. The v-berth will not be long enough for you to be comfortable (even if you steal some of your wife's space) but you can make it work on a weekend trip. We made a slide out extension on the stbd settee to sleep two. The aft quarter berth would be plenty long for you. The '77 had no anchor locker, but there was space fwd of the v-berth for a chain locker, which would drain to the bilge.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I lived on a 1977 C27 with my wife i'm 6'. The v-berth will not be long enough for you to be comfortable (even if you steal some of your wife's space) but you can make it work on a weekend trip. We made a slide out extension on the stbd settee to sleep two. The aft quarter berth would be plenty long for you. The '77 had no anchor locker, but there was space fwd of the v-berth for a chain locker, which would drain to the bilge.

We have the same thing on our 27; I didn't mention it because I found it difficult to describe!!! But it makes a big difference and was our preferred sleeping spot when we overnighted on her in the past. It has alot of headroom and as others said, the cockpit has lots of room.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
My '82 has a nice size anchor locker that is not noticeable in the V-berth.

Oct 25, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII Bayfield, WI
We chartered a C27 a couple years ago. I am 6 feet tall and found that I had to watch my head all the time in the cabin. At 6'3" I think you would have a problem. Also, I think my wife and I slept in the salon; the v-berth was not too roomy.
We just bought a C30 and it has standup headroom (for me) pretty much everywhere. I just need to duck to get into the v-berth because there is a low part right in front of it. I've found that the quarter-berth is a great spot to sleep. Lots of leg room, but even though it is a "double", the inboard person would not have much headroom. We will probably sleep seperately most of the time. That combination might work for you on the C27. Good luck.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
My wife and I sleep on our 1984 model C27, identical to yours. The V-berth is roomy enough and I'm 6'2 and it is quiet in there, especially when you pull the door shut from the head. Plenty of room for the kids, they will whine regardless so just enjoy. I have some interior pics on my profile if you need an idea of what it can look like.

ptsbug

Aug 14, 2006
Paceship PY23 keel c/b North Branch, MN
sleeping on the port berth of the 85' Catalina 27

How tall can a person be and still sleep on the port side berth of the main cabin?
Can the mast be stepped w/o a gin pole?
It looks like the boat we are viewing has the running rigging sitting out in the elements, roughly what would the replacement cost be? I was using a number of $300.00 does that sound close to you.
The boat has roller furler.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Port side berth is for sitting or kids only, it is only about 5 ft long. As for the running rigging being exposed, most are, I have a cover to put over the whole thing but is a pain as I use the boat every weekend, so it stays folded up stored away. If the kids are going away to college you really only need sleeping for the two of you sooner than you think, the kids can sleep out in the cockpit, giving you privacy up front. roller furling is great, reduces your workload, often we don't even bother with the main. Or, put up the main and just a little furling will allow pleasant cruising while allowing you to keep the front hatch open for airflow. BUY IT! You won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.