1973 Ericson 25 versus 1984 Catalina 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
None yet None yet None yet
OK, before I get flamed, I have a few reasons for asking this here - in my mind, I'm already liking the Catalina more, but not for any "real" reasons (I still need to visit the boats, and have only seen a single grainy photo of the exterior of each). So, with that introduction, how does a 1984 Catalina 25 compare to a 1973 Ericson 25? Or, put another way, if I go with the Catalina, will I be kicking myself because I didn't go with the Ericson? Of course, a lot depends on the condition of the boats - let's assume, for arugment's sake, that they are both about the same condition and about the same price.

So, some may ask why I favor the Catalina, the answer is: 1) it is newer, and thus I think it is more likely to be in better shape; and 2) it has lifelines. Yes, I know lifelines aren't the be-all and end-all, and I know they can be installed on the Ericson. But the Catalina already has them, and that makes things simpler, and simple is good (at least to a point).

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Hmmmm...perhaps I should have posted this in a different forum.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I think there is just not enough information here. In order to really have any opinion or give you feedback one would need to have working knowledge of both of these boats and isn't that a rather narrow field? Until you actually look at each and have stats of each what is there to compare really? I think anyone reading this post is just waiting for more information, that's all.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Lifelines

They're both fine boats, and IIRC they have completely different layouts down below, or could. The C25 came with three different ones: traditional (facing settees with a bulkhead table), dinette and L shaped traditional. The Ericsons usually only had one layout. The C25 had a pop top, at least most of them did, I don't know if the E25 did or not.

Lifelines? Does it have the stanchions and a bow pulpit and stern pushpit, or nothing? If it's only a matter of adding the lines, that's much different than adding stainless steel supports around the boat.

So, Luz is correct, not enough information to really be able to help you answer the question.

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if anyone had sailed on an Ericson 25.

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks Stu! I've been on the C25 board before - very nice people over there. I was afraid, however, that they would be a little TOO pro-Catalina! :) But perhaps I will re-ask my question over there to see if anyone has any opinions. As for the Ericson forums, at this point I'm a member here, cruisersforum, the catalina forum, and a few others, and I still don't have a boat! Some times, I feel like a bit of a fraud joining yet another "owners" forum. But perhaps I will join...

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
There is a difference in age, meaning older style hardware,older rigging. The Ericson was built during the 1975 oil crisis, that has always been a concern. Many feel that quality was compromised to save cost. For what it is worth looking at a C25 is what won me over to Catalina from Macgregor. The Ericsons that I was looking at when I first started looking were considerably cheaper. That cuts 2 ways, cheaper entry but lower resale. I'm sure there are a lot of other factors to consider. Shape of trailer and motor just being 2. Another big ticket item includes condition of sails ect.

Aug 15, 2011
catalina C36 Lake Perry
Ok, before I start I want to say that I have sailed on both and I have owned both Ericons and Catalinas. First, Ericsons were built to a higher standard and performance level than Catalina. The age is an issue in your case. The E25 is a more tender boat. You cant make this decision without seeing both boats, so either go look or just buy the newer boat.

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Capshroud, so all things being equal, you'd say the Ericson is a better boat?

I agree, I need to see them both in person. An Ericson that's been smashed into the dock a few too many times may not be anywhere near as good as a Catalina. And just because the Ericson is almost 40 years old doesn't mean it hasn't been well taken care of (or, conversely, the mere fact that the Catalina is less than 30 years old doesn't mean that it will inherently be in better shape).

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's really not the missue, maybe...

Ok, before I start I want to say that I have sailed on both and I have owned both Ericons and Catalinas. First, Ericsons were built to a higher standard and performance level than Catalina. The age is an issue in your case. The E25 is a more tender boat. You cant make this decision without seeing both boats, so either go look or just buy the newer boat.
"Tender" boat may simply be due to the hull form. The older boats had pinched sterns based on the IOR rules in vogue at the time of production, which would apply to the E25. The C25s came later when fuller aft sections below the waterline made for more room down below.

So, my advice is to check the hull form as well as the condition of the two boats once you get to see them.

They may be two completely different boats even though their lengths are the same.

Good luck.

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks for the feedback again! I think the Catalina is the better choice. Made an offer; now I'm just waiting.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for the feedback again! I think the Catalina is the better choice. Made an offer; now I'm just waiting.

Oh this is so exciting........ I love buying boats, especially vicariously. :)

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks Luz! Well, I waited (im)patiently, and it paid off! The seller said he'd accept my offer _IF_ the other guy who came out on Saturday didn't make him a better offer. The other guy has until Thursday night - we'll see what happens! Meanwhile, I'm sitting on pins and needles, and starting to chart a course that will get the boat from the origin to my desired destination!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
so JimGo, where the heck are you? makes it hard to imagine things very well when I can't visualize a home port.

I hope the owner doesn't give the other guy that same information;)

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
I am in the Philadelphia, PA area. The boat is in Barnegat Bay in NJ, and I want her in Ocean City, NJ.

I too hope the owner doesn't give the other guy any info! Thanks for the positive "vibes"!

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks for checking in; yes, we got her! Bought her last weekend, and just got home from moving her to a marina where she'll be hauled on Monday for winter storage. Depressing (having her hauled right after we got her), but I'm very excited for next season!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
congratulations!! She is a very beautiful, clean girl that looks like she is in really nice shape. I have been thinking about you and though oh shoot, maybe the other guy got her!

Cute name, is that staying?

Status
Not open for further replies.