Windlass leak

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Well I took apart my windlass and now have the 2 parts out of the boat and Home and need to remove the shaft from the upper part and get at the bearing and wiper seal.
I am thinking the shaft with crud and a little what looks like rust is stuck to the bearing and think of putting in a vise up side down and hitting the bottom of the shaft with wood block and hammer forcing the shaft to drop out and than replacing the seal and bearing,
but want to be sure this is the right way to do this and so any body want to jump in and
add advice.
Nick

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What model windlass?

Try using some kind of penetrating oil, like PB Blaster on the shaft first. At least on my Maxwell, the shaft has to be greased and over time that grease can get hard.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Same windlass I have. I posted a long time ago that this model CANNOT be left exposed to the weather as there is a design flaw that permits water intrusion down the shaft. This is unlike Ideal windlasses where water cannot intrude. I suggested in my earlier post that this unit should be covered when not in use. Simple to make a canvas cover.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Thanks to Ken 15559 from some past posting by Ken really helped out and found out that there is a C clip
holding the shaft on the top plate.
Mine is really dirty with crud so need to clean around to get at that C clip and thanks again to Ken for
photo's he showed on a past post and he has also helped out with other helpful post so thank thanks Ken
and now I will soon order the kit for my windlass with the new bearing and wiper seal from SL Spares.co.uk

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I reinstalled my windlass top yesterday sealing it all with marine sealer and waited it to dry and a wood board below to bolt it tight and to hold in place while the sealent to dry and bolted the motor about a hour ago it all looks good and even works good
and will try out with chain and anchor tomorrow.
nick