Dow 795 Alternate?

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
MS is right. McM ships so fast, you wonder if it's manned by elves. I used them often for work. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've placed the order online ,then before the end of the day I get an email confirming shipment with delivery the next day before noon. Incredible. They tend to be a little pricey but they have EVERYTHING.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Dow 795 is a pure silicon archeticual grade which is why it is tenacious on holding and lasts a long time. Anytime silicones have added materials weakens the true nature of purity so as some had said to me. Not sure but wonder if that statement was correct.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
795 was a good choice by Hunter. Our 91 h30 got 22 years out of the factory 795 seal! I think another key is that 795 is a room temperature vulcanizing (RTV) silicone. The 795 data sheet states "One-part, neutral-cure, RTV silicone sealant". Apparently many RTVs are 2-part. 795 cures to what feels like rubber and does not seem to leave behind the "slippery slime" contamination characteristic of silicone sealant (maybe it does and I have just been super careful - ha). Maybe a chemist can help me out here!

A cool thing is that 795, like the Boat Life Caulk (I forget which one) cures through exposure to atmospheric moisture, and so does some of that expanding building insulating foam. It's a mystery to me how that works, but I have misted water over the material (795 and Boat Life calk) after applying to speed up the cure, especially if applied when the humidity is low. It seem to help speed up skimming and initial hardness. It's also useful to mist the insulating foam if you have to make several layers deep.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Anytime silicones have added materials weakens the true nature of purity so as some had said to me. Not sure but wonder if that statement was correct.
Correct!
Instructions on most adhesives....

"Thoroughly clean both surfaces before application!"

The last tip...

The adhesives contain a "Drying" agent. Once that agent leaves the adhesive, it doesn't adhere anymore (cured).
Speedy application give maximum bond.

This agent slowly permeates the container tube i.e. shelf life.
Jim..

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
If anyone has any unopened, expired Dow 795 I will take it off your hands ;) I will not use it for structural purposes like installing 1/2 ton glass panels on a high rise but should work just fine for sealing purposes on a sailboat.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
If anyone has any unopened, expired Dow 795 I will take it off your hands ;) I will not use it for structural purposes like installing 1/2 ton glass panels on a high rise but should work just fine for sealing purposes on a sailboat.
that's not a good idea the stuff loses it holding power when it starts to dry out and you will always second guess the work you have done

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Rudy at D & R Marine told me that the 795 is able to withstand extreme changes in temperature, which may not be a big deal
in Louisiana....In Wichita I chose first to disregard the 795 suggestion and ended up having to replace the replacement hatches as they cracked into a thousand (maybe a hundred) pieces when the temperature fell below freezing.....I would suggest you contact a windshield shop..most of them use 795 due to it's ability to survive the freeze and thaw cycles...It is available in
several colors and clear from what I heard.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG Got first Bowmar small hatch lens in yesterday. Much easier job than I'd thought it would be. Lens was easily levered out with screwdrivers.. After a good clean-up and some "Blue Tape" masking, the gray Dow 795 went in fine and new lens looks to be fine. The original lens was only 3/16" thick so my 3/8" replacement will be great. It stands a little proud of the frame, but does not look like it is too thick at all. Taped cardboard inside the hatch to keep the debris from getting into cabin.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It costs about $8.00 brand new.......... The ONLY thing it should be used for bedding is acrylic or polycarbonate and Beckson products. Silicone should be avoided otherwise unless you desire future adhesion/sealing problems due to silicone contamination..

Nov 6, 2006
Finished replacing the lenses in all four hatches . Used just a bit less than one tube of 795 for the job. . Now the fixed ports look like hell.. Another project ..
IMG_0527.JPG

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Check with an automotive window replacement company like Safelite....most of them use the Dow 795 due to it's ability to withstand material shrinkage and expansion due to thermal issues....Pat

Nov 6, 2006
@SFS those are Vetus "UFO" vents.. they were original equipment on the 34.. Good stuff until the first time ya get a wave over the deck.. water comes pouring in through them.. and there is no way to close them..

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I had an extra tube, unopened, of Dow 795 from an earlier project. I opened it a year later. Stored inside a cool locker. Still appeared fresh as a year ago...but it failed to cure properly. It definitely does have a limited shelf life!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If you use a polyurethance for glazing (Sika 295 for example) you have to prime the plastic. This is because the polyurethane bond is quite vulnerable to UV and with glazing the UV strikes the bond surface. I've tested quite a few, bonding plastics and fabrics like sail cloth, and unless the material is truly opaque in the UV, the bond will fail in a year. Surprised me too, but that is what happens. This is true of epoxies and many other adhesives. Glazing is a unique application in this way.

For this reason, I would not fool with anything not rated for structural glazing, and I would follow ALL instructions, including priming, to the letter..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’ve had three sets of cabin windows installed in the last six yrs..The first two were installed by the local yard who also is a Benny dealer. They used Sika 295 UV and primer. The second time, I was present on the boat when they were installed and “supervised”. Last summer, the second set fell out as did the first. Last fall , we cut every window out, cleaned all boat mating surfaces and installed new acrylic with 795. Different shipright who is very experienced..Sika is not allowed within eyesight. These are frameless windows inset into the cabin side. We’ll see what the next few yrs bring..