Locking yourself from the inside

Feb 19, 2023
Dufour Dufour 34 Clipper Yacht Harbor
Hi All,
I have a sailboat, it has a companion way. I want to lock it from the inside. The reason is the missus, she thinks the new Marina which is half the price is not as safe. I could put a bolt but then I’d have to drill into the plexiglass which is not the safest, as the boat is 1975. I was thinking of maybe attaching some hook to the plexiglass then another hook on the wood pieces and having rope tie the two ? What do you recommend ?

Attachments

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Change marinas so the Admiral feels safe. Spend the extra money.. It’s the only practical answer. Even if the discussion turns to choices for self defense, there isn‘t anything safer than avoiding an incident by avoiding dangerous places.
There isn’t anything you can do that will secure you against a determined attacker. A strong kick will defeat any standard wood or fiberglass/plastic companionway, and even if you constructed steel bars you could be threatened by someone with a gun.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
I’d have to drill into the plexiglass which is not the safest, as the boat is 1975.
I don't understand this statement.

I take it that the Admiral doesn't feel safe at night.
If you fit motion sensor lights to your boat it will make anyone wary of approaching and keep you and the surrounding boats secure.
Slocum used thumb tacks!

If you don't feel safe during the day and feel the need to lock yourself in, well, take Captain Larry's advice and move.

gary

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
What do you recommend ?
Purchased a standard SS hook latch from our local chandlery and attached with small bolts and nylock nuts. No problem drilling a small hole in the plexiglass.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don't drill all the way through the plexi and put a barrel bolt on the top wash board .. But definitely think about the other posts.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I wouldn't worry too much about the marina, but ...

... Make sure the lock is one that is trivial to open in the dark at night. Fire is a much greater risk than assault, based on the night time marina fires I've seen. Unlike your house, there is only one way out. Having to undo bolts to get out of your house is not smart either.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
For all sorts of safety at sea reasons my washboards and hatch were lockable and could be opened from inside. When at the dock or on a mooring however we mostly use screens on the forward hatches and companionway!
Therefore you either cook to death in your closed-up boat or move to a perceived safer marina.
Good luck.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Hi All,
I have a sailboat, it has a companion way. I want to lock it from the inside. The reason is the missus, she thinks the new Marina which is half the price is not as safe. I could put a bolt but then I’d have to drill into the plexiglass which is not the safest, as the boat is 1975. I was thinking of maybe attaching some hook to the plexiglass then another hook on the wood pieces and having rope tie the two ? What do you recommend ?
its hard to tell from your picture if you have a lip on the inside of the slider. Here's what we used:

I put a rubber cabinet bumper under the forward side of the hatch opening screwed directly into the fiberglass. I drilled a 5/8" hole in the back of the mount for the Wedgit. The retaining clip is screwed to the wood on the back side of the slider. It slips over the bumper and snaps into place. Easy to pull free in an emergency. Hard for a bad guy to get in. The entire thing except for the clip and little bumper comes right off and is easily stored. The nice thing with Amazon is that you can buy it, look at it and if you don't like it, return it for free.

20130511_160323.jpg
20130511_160405.jpg

Feb 19, 2023
Dufour Dufour 34 Clipper Yacht Harbor
Change marinas so the Admiral feels safe. Spend the extra money.. It’s the only practical answer. Even if the discussion turns to choices for self defense, there isn‘t anything safer than avoiding an incident by avoiding dangerous places.
There isn’t anything you can do that will secure you against a determined attacker. A strong kick will defeat any standard wood or fiberglass/plastic companionway, and even if you constructed steel bars you could be threatened by someone with a gun.
Hi Larry,

Hope your day is going well.
The Marina is not that bad.
There is a police station 5 minute walk away.
There are gates and such.
It is $500 a month.
This is more of an add on as she was having this issue even at the fancier Marina.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Hi Larry,

Hope your day is going well.
The Marina is not that bad.
There is a police station 5 minute walk away.
There are gates and such.
It is $500 a month.
This is more of an add on as she was having this issue even at the fancier Marina.
I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Some good ideas above. Happy wife happy life ;)