Just say NO to Prop Speed

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
ok never mind

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Hows about this? Or? Or?
I have used this for 15+ years. It works as well as everything else and it is inexpensive. I tried the Prop Speed (a knock-off) 10 years ago and I was unimpressed. It was very expensive, a pain to apply, and didn't protect any better than the Rustoleum for under $10/can. My prop and shaft are both stainless, if you think that makes any difference. I simply clean the prop, wipe it down with acetone, and spray 2-3 thin coats. One can does me for 2+ years of application.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
One summer in Powerboat's in Trinidad the Propspeed folks were applying their product free for those of us wanting to try it. I did not find it to be useful enough to pay for it thereafter.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
PYI has a new product, Crystal Prop. Same idea as Prop Speed, but much less expensive.

The zinc paints work, but wear off if you motor a lot.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I cleaned my prop and shaft support two years ago, down to clean brass. Shiny like gold. Acetoned it and used the cold galvanizing paint. New cutlass bearing. New anodes on the shaft. Now, it's covered in barnacles to the point that the boat is slowed down. This never happened before. Wonder why and what I did wrong. Is there a need for a primer?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Maybe it was a really bad year where you moor? Was there a lot of rain and associated land runoff that feeds the barnacles? What have you used previously that worked better?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
@Rich Stidger: Yes, lots of rain, and the area is surrounded by agricultural farm land. Lots of Corn, alfalfa, Soy and then Chicken farms. I think you are on the right track. Runoff of fertilizer. In the past, I slapped on some ablative bottom paint. Worked well.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Some years can be worse than others I was told this years ago when I raise the same question as you- Why do i get wildly different results in different years with the same boat and product in the same location.

I have used ablative bottom paint- it wears off very quickly. I've used hard bottom paint that mostly stays on but it is much harder to apply than the spray zinc coating. I've even used a snake-oil.... some kind of baby ointment laced with cayenne pepper. That concoction was a dismal failure.

Bottom line- I'm staying with the Rustoleum Cold Galvanize zinc spray. I just bought a new can at Wal-Mart. $9.99 + tax, and it will last me almost three years of application.