Hunter 23.5 new windows

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
Thinking about replacing some of the fixed windows in my Hunter 23.5. Mainly the front curved one. Maybe others.

I am guessing this has been covered before, so mainly asking for someone to direct me to a previous thread that resulted in the successful completion of this project on a similar boat…or new tips/ techniques/products out there?

My main questions:
-Which sealant? (I am thinking Dow 795?) Or use 3M VHB and just 795 to fill the final gap?
-On the front window there are small black set screws. No problem. But on the sides….how to hold the slightly curved windows in place while the 795 dries? ….and how long does it take to dry? Will VHB tape hold the curve into the window, or pull out?

Thank you.

David
Seattle

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On my Mark 25 keelboat , which is a C&C 25 with a fractional rig, I replaced the windows. After having a window place cut the new windows based on the existing ones, I used cinder blocks tilted on the deck and duct tape to hold the new windows in place while the adhesive set. I used a silicon from 3M. Since I've learned others use screws to hold the window while the adhesive sets and then remove the screws and seal the screw holes.
Mine never leaked.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The forum store is staffed and owned by former Hunter employees who has the build list for your windows or ports. I am not sure if they have molded windows or not. Dow 795 is the sealant to use which is a seven day cure time. Check and see if you have any holes along the Edges covered with sealant. Once you have answered the questions, I will be happy to talk with you on installation as I have done a few replacements for the 23.5
Dave

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
When I replaced my front window, I weighted the window in a warm place for several weeks to give it some preset curve. This worked great, I could still machine the plexiglass flat, but it easily adopted the curve when installed.
20240117_145706.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The question are there any screw holes needs to be answered first and then I will respond as I was involved with the design of this sailboat

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
This is the original Hunter factory install from 1998 :

1713548690682.png

The screw holes are near invisible after being removed and filled with black 795.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am waiting for photos of the poster's 23.5 windshield. As former Hunter dealer, I gave the original plans to Warren Luhrs of Hunter Marine for the original 23.5 and nearly sold a quarter of the production line