Pic of Hunter 23 Masthead for fitting main topping lift

Apr 8, 2024
hunter 23 brisbane
Hi all! Looking at fitting a topping lift to my hunter 23. It lives at a marina a long way from my house, so I have to prepare in advance when I do maintenance

does anyone have a close-up pic of what the masthead looks like, namely where I would attach a main topping lift?

main thing is - can I just shimmy up there and shackle it through an existing hole? Or do I need to lower the mast and do some drilling /riveting?

thnaks!

also looking to fit a bimini, any advice on that most welcome!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to SBO. Good to have you here mate.
Topping lifts come in two versions.
  1. Adjustable: A line that becomes part of your running rigging. Connecting from boom end to mast top, through a sheave and down inside mast, exiting mast to be cleated or run to block at base and then back to the cockpit
  2. Stationary: Attached to a back stay (referred to as a pig’s tail) and clipped on to the booms end to support the boom when not sailing. Or a line attached to the mast head for the same purpose
I have and use the adjustable version. The Stationary option seems to get in the way during sailing. (My opinion).

It would be easier to build you topping lift with the mast down on the hard then shimmied up, suspended in the air above your boat.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I wouldn't trust the 23 and it's mast to go up and try to attach it. I'd absolutely drop the mast.

Not sure if all brands of mast are the same, but mine has a mast crane that sticks out maybe 6 inches to the rear. If I recall there's a clevis pin through the crane that you can attach the TL to. I'd recommend an adjustable setup since the 23 has 3 sheaves and jam cleats in the boom, one of which is for the TL. The others are for the out haul and reefing.

You could simply run a roughly 1/4 in line from the mast crane to the sheave in the boom, forward through the boom and out the front through the jam cleats. This lets you adjust it if you go forward. Should be loosened after raising main so boom is supported by the sail, then tightened to support the boom when sail is down.

The main drawback of this is that if you remove the boom for the winter and store it you have to pull the line out of the boom before you unstep the mast, this you have to later thread it back through the boom, like with an electrician fish tape.

Look in the owner mods section here, but in brief the approach I used is: I left what had been a fixed stainless wire (about 1/16 diam) TL on the crane, but shortened it so it was about 3 feet short of the boom end with boom horizontal. Attached a thimble to the lower end. Attached a small swivel block to the thimble. TL line runs through jam cleat into front of boom then out rear over sheave, then up to and through block, and back down to be tied off with bowline to casting at end of boom. This lets you adjust TL with 2:1 mechanical advantage. To remove boom you only have to untie the bowline and pull the line through the block, but leave line in the boom.

Others who like to adjust it from the cockpit have added a small horn or other clear to any end of boom and tie off the line to this.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have a bimini that came with boat. Tried it one season and found it was too low for real comfort due to the limited height from cockpit to boom.

Apr 8, 2024
hunter 23 brisbane
Thanks all for your input. Dropped the mast over the wknd, attached the topping lift to the masthead and lazy jack lines to the spreaders. Also discovered some rusty pin-fasteners so replaced them (no one wants those to break mid-ocean). Next job is the Bimini, will see how I go and keep you updated! Thanks again, happy Huntering!

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@tim_brisbane
You were smart to drop the mast heeding the warnings. As for topping lift, may I suggest a turning block with a curved base installed on the back of the boom with the line led forward to a cleat. Easier to get to. However there is an easier way too. Interested?

Former dealer for Hunter marine who introduced the Hunter 23 wing keel