does anybody recognize thepart with the white zip tie on it and the part below the emergency stop switch with a white zip tie on it? Thanks

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
Thanks. at one point the engine would not start. The part with the white zip tie was loose so that it was shaking around rather than bolted to the engine. I managed to get it bolted again but now I'm worried about it thinking that maybe I should just replace it. Also the box with the white zip tie below the emergency switch is loose. Should I be concerned about that?

Attachments

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
My guess by its appearance the white zip tied unit is a starter solenoid. Black Zip tied unit looks like a relay. My best guess was this was thrown together as quick and as cheaply as possible to unload it on an unsuspecting buyer. I would find this all a very peaceful and satisfying task to rectify and restore to how it should be. If you think thats bad, here was mine when I bought my boat.
1712009036035.jpeg

Sometimes I am able to see past the mess and imagine how it will be.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The photo looks like a reverse image of the aft section on the port side. The heat exchanger in the rear of the photo should be on stbd side and the air intake is port side. The bell housing is obviously aft. You must have been a contortionist to get this photo!

The round cover with white zip tie is the cover assembly to the start solenoid, I believe. I don't understand why it appears to be completely detached from the armature. Was the holder attached and you re-attached the cover assembly after taking the photo? The zip tie is merely to secure loose wires to the cover. If the cover assembly was detached, it certainly explains why the starter wasn't engaged. Does it start now that you have attached it? I'm not completely familiar with this assembly since I have never taken it apart. The yellow lead with red stripe comes from the start push button. I'm certain of that because I have traced it to the engine control panel.

I'm not familiar with that square box with the black zip tie. I'm looking thru the parts catalogue for identification. It looks like it is a housing for some electrical component. What do you mean it's "loose". Is it attached with screws or something? I can understand if you simply can't reach back there to see what's what! It's an extremely confined area of the compartment!

Aug 7, 2023
The photo looks like a reverse image of the aft section on the port side. The heat exchanger in the rear of the photo should be on stbd side and the air intake is port side. The bell housing is obviously aft. You must have been a contortionist to get this photo!

The round cover with white zip tie is the cover assembly to the start solenoid, I believe. I don't understand why it appears to be completely detached from the armature. Was the holder attached and you re-attached the cover assembly after taking the photo? The zip tie is merely to secure loose wires to the cover. If the cover assembly was detached, it certainly explains why the starter wasn't engaged. Does it start now that you have attached it? I'm not completely familiar with this assembly since I have never taken it apart. The yellow lead with red stripe comes from the start push button. I'm certain of that because I have traced it to the engine control panel.

I'm not familiar with that square box with the black zip tie. I'm looking thru the parts catalogue for identification. It looks like it is a housing for some electrical component. What do you mean it's "loose". Is it attached with screws or something? I can understand if you simply can't reach back there to see what's what! It's an extremely confined area of the compartment!
thanks so much for the effort. I really appreciate it. Actually the photo was easily taken from the aft starboard cabin. The air intake ,oil filter , and gas bleed finger pump are on the starboard side too.

Aug 7, 2023
thanks so much for the effort. I really appreciate it. Actually the photo was easily taken from the aft starboard cabin. The air intake ,oil filter , and gas bleed finger pump are on the starboard side too.
I don't understand how it got detached either. I try to tighten it but the bolts bottomed out before it got tight. Just by chance I looked it down into the engine and there were two big washers. I put them on the bolts and the starter solenoid tighten down nicely. I find it unbelievable that someone took that off apparently put it back on without the washers, saw that it wasn't tight, and then just walked away. I'm not sure though how it would've prevented the motor from not starting? Can you explain that one again?

Aug 7, 2023
I am not sure about the square box with the black zip tie on it. It seems to be just suspended and held in place by the strength of the wires running into it. Additionally right under it is an open female plug with nothing attached to it. Let me take a couple of pictures today and I will post them maybe that will clarify. Again thanks so much!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I missed that you have 3YM !!! - I was going by my 3GM30F. I was totally discombobulated before noticing. I didn't realize that by 2004 they changed the model. My injectors, starter, air intake, oil filter are all on the port side. Heat exchange is on starboard side. I was wondering why the white bulkhead appeared to be in the right place if you were taking a photo from the aft cabin!

I think if the switch is disconnected from the lever set that causes the pinion to spin, then you don't get a start. What do you mean by "not starting". Did the starter spin or simply click? Or nothing? Does it start now that it is assembled?

I simply don't recognize that square box ... probably because my model doesn't have anything that looks like that.

Aug 7, 2023
I missed that you have 3YM !!! - I was going by my 3GM30F. I was totally discombobulated before noticing. I didn't realize that by 2004 they changed the model. My injectors, starter, air intake, oil filter are all on the port side. Heat exchange is on starboard side. I was wondering why the white bulkhead appeared to be in the right place if you were taking a photo from the aft cabin!

I think if the switch is disconnected from the lever set that causes the pinion to spin, then you don't get a start. What do you mean by "not starting". Did the starter spin or simply click? Or nothing? Does it start now that it is assembled?

I simply don't recognize that square box ... probably because my model doesn't have anything that looks like that.
yes it seems to work fine now. But I don't see how tightening two bolts to hold the assembly against the engine block makes it start? when it wasn't starting there was no sound that I could hear from the helm.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
You firmly mounted an electrical device to a more stable platform.
The connecting wires don't move around as much and don't lose connectivity.
The engine starts!
BTW, I would consider replacing the 'too long' bolts that don't tighten down the solenoid
and their attendant washers with shorter bolts and lock washers.

Aug 7, 2023
You firmly mounted an electrical device to a more stable platform.
The connecting wires don't move around as much and don't lose connectivity.
The engine starts!
BTW, I would consider replacing the 'too long' bolts that don't tighten down the solenoid
and their attendant washers with shorter bolts and lock washers.
I don't know. I was thinking that perhaps the last mechanic left the bolts loose so the part wouldn't constantly vibrate with the engine. in any case it is snug now and I am starting the engine twice a day to regain confidence in it.

I did find the two needed washers wedged down in the engine so perhaps the lwas just too lazy to fish them out.
@Ted10028 You can check the colour coding of the wires and identify the parts from the Yanmar Manual

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023
Is there a well know place where many people get their Yanmar parts at a good price?

Aug 7, 2023
@Ted10028 Here are your photos and the corresponding wire colour coding Glow Relay 5R,2L,2B and Starter Relay 2R,2W,2W,2B ( the numbers refer to the thickness not the number of cables). Hope this helps!
thanks can you show me where the starter motor is?