Please help. 1979 37 Cherbuni Water Tanks

Jun 30, 2023
hunter 37 Cherubini 3 mile harbor
Hi
Just took delivery of my 1st boat !!
very stoked
1979 37 Cherbuni
Previous owner is out of the country and I can’t reach him. I’m on the hook in Naples trying to get the boat ready to sail to NY
I know the boat has TWO water tanks
Do they run and get used together or is there a VALVE that separates the two tanks
There’s no way I used 100g of water in the short period of time
Water pump runs but spitting as tank empty
So I have zero water for toilet or anything currently
I’ve checked the bilges , under the seats . The sink … etc
Please help
Aloha
IMG_2261.jpeg

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Are both tanks empty? Are there two deck fills. Are there inspection ports on the tanks? Try refilling one, if they both fill, then they are connected or the valve is open. I am not familiar with that boat but on mine the 5 tanks are separate. Try to follow the line to the pump back, you may find a manifold to switch tanks. Or look in the bilge near the tanks.

• Helpful
Jun 30, 2023
Two deck fills
I’m on the hook
Have no source to fill
They are two separate tanks
One is obviously empty
I’ve checked the bilges
I’ve checked under the seats
The bathroom
The kitchen sink
I know the two total 100gallons
I’m extremely cautious on water use
Both tanks were topped off
Someone that owns a Hunter Cherbuni should know but I’m brand new owner with no info to go off of

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm not specifically familiar with the Cherubini Hunter, however, most boats with multiple water tanks have a manifold to select which tank is being used. Try looking in the bilge for the manifold. If you are not careful it is easy to use 100 gallons of water in a short period of time.

Most marine toilets flush with sea water unless they have been modified to use the boat's freshwater system. Check the seacock to make certain it is open.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Most boats including Hunters have a manifold to select feed supply. if an empty tank valve is open, the pump will suck air into the pump causing what you describe. It shouldn’t be difficult to find the manifold as it is located where access is available for obvious reasons.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The tank selector valve was originally a three way valve .. I had to rebuild mine when it started leaking water out of the stem seal and it would leak air into the system when the pump ran.. Mine was plumbed with the output to the pump on the middle port and each tank on either side. his is on my H-34 but the 37 had the same valve. This is the valve :
P1000511.JPGTank selector3.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’m on the hook
Have no source to fill
I feel for your situation.
The hard truth is you are now the mechanic, plumber, carpenter, master of your floating home. The conveniences of a boat do require maintenance. Most of the time you are the source of that work when you are not in a yard.
When I see “Have no source to fill” I see I have no convenient source where I am at. If toilet flushing is the goal, then you can dip a bucket in the water around you and spill the water into the toilet. You will want to be sure that you have not already filled the black water holding tank…

Fresh water… if you do not want to pick up the hook and visit a marina for fresh water, you can possibly resort to the old fashion survival skill of capturing rain water in a sail and funneling it into your tanks.

When you are on a boat alone, a flash light and the exploration of all the pipes where they are and where they go is a good way to be come familiar with your new home.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you go to Hunter Owners forums, scroll down to The Cherubini Hunters and ask there to. I know Cherubini’s son use to answer specific questions but I am not sure if he is still around. Anyone do you have his forum name?
However, there is a section of information on your boat and @kloudie1 has sent you an information pertaining to your sailboat. As @jssailem pointed out, you now a jack of all trades.
100 gallons of water is not enough for a transatlantic crossing so I suggest checking with those who have done it and are experienced On what you need to do

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
on my daughter's 1984 H37C the water tanks are under the main salon settee seats. There is a manifold under the centerline deck panel with a valve. I think the valve lever is to port for the port tank and aft for the stbd tank. Each tank should have a gage at the forward end of the tank close to the bulkhead. There are two deck fills one port and one stbd.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you go to Hunter Owners forums, scroll down to The Cherubini Hunters and ask there to. I know Cherubini’s son use to answer specific questions but I am not sure if he is still around. Anyone do you have his forum name?
However, there is a section of information on your boat and @kloudie1 has sent you an information pertaining to your sailboat. As @jssailem pointed out, you now a jack of all trades.
100 gallons of water is not enough for a transatlantic crossing so I suggest checking with those who have done it and are experienced On what you need to do
Dave, I think he is sailing to NY from Naples FL not Naples IT. ;)

I can't remember the exact name for Cherubini's son. It was the name of his boat which was "woman's name" of "some place".

Jun 30, 2023
The tank selector valve was originally a three way valve .. I had to rebuild mine when it started leaking water out of the stem seal and it would leak air into the system when the pump ran.. Mine was plumbed with the output to the pump on the middle port and each tank on either side. his is on my H-34 but the 37 had the same valve. This is the valve :
View attachment 222952View attachment 222953
Thank you. Much appreciated. Found it. It was run out the outside to a little knob on the starboard side couch. Very well disguised.

Jun 30, 2023
on my daughter's 1984 H37C the water tanks are under the main salon settee seats. There is a manifold under the centerline deck panel with a valve. I think the valve lever is to port for the port tank and aft for the stbd tank. Each tank should have a gage at the forward end of the tank close to the bulkhead. There are two deck fills one port and one stbd.
Thank you

Jun 30, 2023
Thank you very much. I’m extremely conservative with water management. Found the disguised switch.

Jun 30, 2023
View attachment 222952View attachment 222953
Thank you !!