Acoustic guitar and boats.

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
I play guitar as I assume others as well. My repertoire is mostly classical Spanish music; Albeniz, Tarrega, Villa Lobos, etc. but the acoustics in the cabin is not as great as I would like but I get quiet time for me with no interruptions. I’m in a H28.5 so not much room to bang out some decent playing due to the integrated folding table. What do others play and how does it play out for you? Of course type of music matters as strumming guitars is much easier.

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Acoustic guitar and electric bass but not on the boat - the boat/ocean isn't that great of an environment for fine instruments that I feel the need to.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
I definitely do not leave an acoustic guitar on the boat. I bring the guitar or my portable recording/composing studio to the boat and bring it home.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I own a guitar, a baby Taylor. I've taken it on airplanes, it fits in the overhead, although my last few flights have been too packed for that. Let me make it clear. I own a guitar. My wife owns an Ovation Adamas and a Baby Taylor, but neither of us play the guitar. I can only claim to play with my guitar.

The Taylor has very nice sound and it's compact size is comfortable. What I do play is the diatonic harmonica. I'm good enough to make me happy, and only my wife has ever complained about my playing. :wink:

she used to be deadly serious when she asked me if I could play Far Far Away. Now it's mostly to tease me. Harps are great sailing instruments. Sea ditties, folk, Irish, blues and bluegrass all sound good on them. I even know a little Bach and Beethoven.

I love my cello, because it doesn't matter that I don't know how to play it. Everything sounds beautiful on a cello. But a cello doesn't sound good on everything, like a 19' sailboat. Did I mention I play with a lot of instruments? However, the blues harp is the only one I know how to play.

-Will

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
Will… No need to be a concert musician and just knowing how to hold and play an instrument sometimes is enough. I play the piano and guitar. My wife plays the violin and we play together though the neighbors dogs are howling. I have the Akai composer and has a two octave piano which has all 88 keys on memory so I can at least play this on the boat and is very compact. It has all the instruments including all the strings and wind, percussion, etc and can record over 50 tracks or more… I’m still learning the Akai and so much to compose.
Akai_Studio.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
Another option is an inexpensive Chinese guitar and just accept it will get damaged.
I have a Cordoba C5 guitar that was built in Portugal before Cordoba moved production to China and this is what I take to the boat (no damage yet). It is a very good guitar that I take everywhere I definately don't want to take my more expensive guitars to, only to the studio.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There is a new fully synthetic small body quitar - I don't recall the name. Has a classical neck. My brother has one he used to play on the boat along with a small electric keyboard.

dj

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Sounds like a good a good place for a parlor guitar. Recording King or similar lower priced git box so you don't freak if it becomes damaged.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have thought about a violin. Thankfully a Stradivarius is out of budget. Maybe one of the teaching violins might not be a problem. Or there is always the brass instruments like a clarinet. But they can really disrupt an anchorage. Playing taps in the evening might not be appropriate.

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
My acoustic guitar and bass on the boat. Both inexpensive and small, great for grabbing and playing without having to plug in.
Nice to have them on the boat all the time. I couldn't do it with my guitars as they're too nice to get too much humidity or heat. Not a big deal to bring them on board each time I want to play.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
While sailing in Greece an acoustic guitar player inspired me to make a you tube video of my charter. I was med mooring next to a super yacht & uniformed crew from the mega-yacht threw fenders over the side, feeling intimidated, I waved a thank you, then moved on to a quieter area with more sailboats, further along, the most welcoming part was mooring next to fellow sailors, with one guy playing his guitar.