Help with a new sail

NOLA

Dec 19, 2021
Catalina 22 New Orleans Lakefront
I have a Catakina 22. I am trying to install a new main sail. There is a pin that holds it in place. The pin will not move. And I am not sure how moving it will free the sail. Any advice? Thanks in advance for help with what is probably a dumb question.
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 5.49.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 5.49.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
I've never seen that setup. It looks like the metal it is up against is heavily corroded causing it to bind. Perhaps some penetrating oil and a large pair of vice grips? It appears it needs to be turned 90 degrees towards the mast then it can be twisted out free from the sail and boom. That's my guess.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What does the “pin” look like on the other side? I have not seen one like that before.

I agree with @lacoursmarc…. Dissimilar metals may have created a real bind.

If nothing else, you could cut the “pin” off close to the boom, and drive out the other side with a punch or drift pin.

I have a shackle sort of like this that tacks my sail to the boom…

1704588427958.jpeg

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It may be that the pin goes thru the tack cringle and has an ear that only allows the pin to be released when the handle is correctly oriented. It's a common shackle arrangement I think.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
that looks like a 180 degrees twist lock. The other end should have an ear on it that make contact with a cam/eccentric. It needs to be rotated 180 degrees upward. Couple of options. try tapping with a rubber mallet. Best direction would be 6 to 9 oclock. If that doesn't work slide a small diameter steel tube ( like a bottle jack lever) over the end and advance it up as far as possible..That should give you the best torque advantage.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I had a tack point like that on my Spirit 23 . On the other side, there was a small pin through the large pin, perpendicular to the larger one. I would turn the handle until the small pin aligned with slots in the holder then the large pin could be pulled out of the sail tack. The smaller pin held the big one from falling out and inevitably going overboard.
Lots of corrosion in the holes; I would start with PB Blaster and let it soak for a week or so. Then large water pump pliers to ask it to rotate.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
It sure looks like this will thread out toward the photographer freeing the tack of the sail. Normal techniques include penetrating oil, brute force, and heat. It looks like dissimilar metals so searching for methods specific to that will help you I think. Too much heat on that aluminum might be trouble and it looks like the expensive piece!

NOLA

Dec 19, 2021
What does the “pin” look like on the other side? I have not seen one like that before.

I agree with @lacoursmarc…. Dissimilar metals may have created a real bind.

If nothing else, you could cut the “pin” off close to the boom, and drive out the other side with a punch or drift pin.

I have a shackle sort of like this that tacks my sail to the boom…

View attachment 222368

Greg

Attachments

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
From your new photo NOLA it looks like you have
jssailem's tack pin screw.(post #9)
The first step is to wire brush (brass if you can find one) away as much corrosion as you can.
Then spray with a good rust remover.
Lay something like a tarp on the deck to reduce the mess.
Use a ring spanner or crescent wrench for leverage a slowly twist the pin back and forward to break the bond.
Looks like you can't use heat if you want to save the sail.

best of luck.
Gary

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice picture. Could be a threaded pin. Apply the PB blaster or Kroil penetrating oil to the threaded side. Protect the sail from any spray.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sure looks like it's been there for five years or so -- definitely time for a new sail. Don't forget to use Tef-gel or some other lubricant to keep the dissimilar metals apart next time.

NOLA

Dec 19, 2021
Update - after brushing, application of PB blaster and a few whacks with the rubber mallet, we did get the tack pin to turn and it was threaded on the opposite end. Unfortunately, a portion of the scre remains stuck in the oppisite eye. Will go back with a drill in a few days. Instead of resinstalling thia same type of tack pin, I will probably just install a bolt. Will post again when done in case anyone is curious. Also here is a pic of the portion of the pin we were able to extract.

Attachments

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
It's a threaded pin. I have the same thing on my '72 Catalina 22. As others have suggested, it spins out. Lubrication and a large pair of pliers or wrench may be needed.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Update - after brushing, application of PB blaster and a few whacks with the rubber mallet, we did get the tack pin to turn and it was threaded on the opposite end. Unfortunately, a portion of the scre remains stuck in the oppisite eye. Will go back with a drill in a few days. Instead of resinstalling thia same type of tack pin, I will probably just install a bolt. Will post again when done in case anyone is curious. Also here is a pic of the portion of the pin we were able to extract.
glad you got it out! Too bag a piece broke off. I would drill it out, and use some sort of clevis pin with a split ring in there (no threads to corrode fast).

Greg