Windlass v. Anchor Winch for H260

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Thanks for the reply Crazy Dave. I also have some question regarding a bow roller, but to avoid a "Thread Drift" I'll gather my thoughs and post under a different thread title. Love to have your thoughts on my idea.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
IMHO, a 26 or 27-ft boat should not need an electric winch/windlass if proper anchoring technique is applied. Namely, to break out the anchor bring up, or heave, short the rode and let the boat’s movement break it out, or apply a little fwd thrust. Use a light-weight anchor like a Fortress so to lighten the dead lift. If you must use a winch, however, install a small one on the mast with a fairlead to the anchor roller (or stem chock?) and crank from there.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's an older thread on this. Not much help though

It's amazing how weak a thrown back can make you! One time mine was so bad I could barely lift a toilet lid!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There's an older thread on this. Not much help though

It's amazing how weak a thrown back can make you! One time mine was so bad I could barely lift a toilet lid!
Not a good condition to be out in.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
"Dave" and "Crazy Dave" That would certainty be the simplest and least expensive way of doing the job. Why didn't I think of that in the fist place? On the "ToDo" list over the winter is to install a bow roller, adding a winch would be nice but not sure if it's necessary.
You have no chain presumably?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
That is correct but I instructed my clients to stop when any chain was coming out of the water. Remember this is a trailerable boat

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Would it be possible to run the anchor rode back to the main winch and bring the anchor up from the cockpit?
Yes, I'm looking into that option, too. I don't want an overkill solution, but I do want something that will be "back safe" for me.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
but I do want something that will be "back safe" for me.
Lessee now, the nylon rode in the water weighs nothing so that's not going to bother your back. The chain and anchor account for all the weight. Once the chain and anchor are coming out, they are at their heaviest because water is no longer adding any buoyancy.

It may be easier getting it to the surface using a haul out winch but when the chain appears at the bow roller, lookout back.

Bit of a kink in the old back from sleeping wrong ? no problem manhandling it. Dose of sciatica in the back ? better carry a wheelchair below deck just in case :yikes: !

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Hate to start an anchor debate but the Fortress is a good anchor and is light. If I had a back problem I'd be on that like white on rice. I'd also lighten up the chain. On another thread I think we established that we could with lighter chain in terms of strength. With the Fortress the holding is not weight dependent. OP is in the PNW? I guess using more shallow anchorages isn't an option.
My R29 didn't have a windlass or even an anchor locker. I had a weight dependent system. It would kill my back (In my 40's) to lean over the bow rail to haul the chain and anchor up. It was such a bad body position. I never found a way to be comfortable hauling the rode in. My next boat had an anchor locker and a windlass. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
My next boat had an anchor locker and a windlass. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

The feeling of absolute luxury when the dumba$$ on the helm picked the wrong spot to drop the anchor in 100' of water. No problem .............. simply push the UP button and let's do it all over again.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was involved with the design of this boat and is not really set up for a windlass unless you want to spend alot of money and I am talking more than $1,000 and counting. This is a trailerable boat and was designed from that approach.. The coring is not thick like a 28 and up boat as an exammple..