Windlass v. Anchor Winch for H260

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
What are the relative merits of an anchor winch as opposed to a windlass, for an H260? I guess my question has two facets: the relative ease of installation, and the relative merits of each as an anchor raising and lowering method.

Not having access to an actual H260 to look at, I'm only going from pictures I can find on the web, but it looks to me like it might be easier to install a winch, given the geometry of the H260 anchor locker. But I'm really only guessing. I haven't been able to find any pictures of an H260 with a windlass, which makes me think that it might be difficult to do or somebody would have a picture of it on line, by now.

As for usability, it seems to me that there's probably not a lot of difference. Is there anybody with experience with both types who wants to comment on that? It seems like windlasses are more common on sailboats while winches are more common on power boats. Is that just a matter of taste or are there bona fide reasons that a windlass makes more sense on a sailboat? I suppose manual back-up on a windlass is more straightforward?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It seems like windlasses are more common on sailboats while winches are more common on power boats.
Guess I'm not really clear about the dif. between an anchor winch and a windlass. Windlasses I know because I installed my own. Am I right in saying an anchor winch is a manual windlass ?

As far as raising the anchor goes, never seen a powerboat with a manual anything. Those clowns just love to sit there and push buttons o_O.

Are you looking at getting an H-260, hence the interest ?

This is a list I cobbled together when I installed my windlass on an H-310. If the years are close, I believe (but don't quote me) that the 260 and 310 may have a similar locker layouts.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I may not be using the terminology correctly. By anchor winch I'm referring to the drum style winches more commonly found on power boats. By windlass I mean the horizontal- or vertical-axis windlasses more commonly found on sailboats.
If i'm not mistaken the anchor winches you are referring to have drums on which the rode is stored (above deck). Windlasses just pull up the rode and direct it to what is generally a below deck space.

I have never seen a drum style winch on a sailboat. I think the major drawback, besides the aesthetics, is the large amount of space they would take on deck.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
a windlass is horizontal, a captstan is vertical, both are winches.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the warping head is for line, the wildcat or gypsy is for chain.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
The anchor size for a Hunter 26/260 doesn’t normally need any kind of power assist. Certainly easy enough to weigh by hand that I don’t think it is worth the trouble, cost, complexity, weight of a windlass installation. Is there something about your situation that makes you think you might need one?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@twistedskipper : Last time I was sailing, a few weeks ago, I strained my back badly while bringing up the 4 kg anchor on my Mac 26S. It ruined the vacation I had been looking forward to all summer. We had to call my brother in law and have him drive out from the city to meet us at the boat launch, to load the boat and drive the truck home. I could do no more than give directions and then lie in the back seat. I see little point in risking something like that again when I can quite easily (on our next boat) install a proper anchor system.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
That’s what I was wondering, Tedd. A back issue is certainly a problem. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and I hope you can figure out a suitable installation on a H26/260. Be sure to post what you end up doing.

Jan 4, 2006
I strained my back badly while bringing up the 4 kg anchor
If you've got a trick back, stay away from armstrong retrieval. What really gets your back jumping up and down :)cuss:) is manually hauling anchor at 04:00 to make the pass at Gabriola. Had a neurosurgeon explain the mechanism of how I'd spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair if I didn't smarten up. That's what inspired me to install a windlass.

You are after either a vertical (most common) or horizontal electric windlass. Contact Specialty Yachts and tell them you're looking for an H-260. If they've got one, photograph the anchor locker to see what can be done. Don't take a credit card with you, they're persistent.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Lazy jacks, power winches and windlasses are usually used to able to handle loads which would be too heavy for a solo sailor. I don't think you will find any tackle that would fit that description in an h260. I'll be the first to admit that not all sailors are of the same age or have the same strength and perhaps in a few cases these helpers may be necessary. The reason why I'm against installing any of these in the smaller boats is that they are all a compromise, they serve a function but simultaneously bring with them a series of drawbacks. Speaking of the windlass you have an electrical motor designed for torque and not speed with a wiring installation requiring massive wires for the roundtrip from bow to the battery bank. It requires fuses, solenoids and switches. Not only is the installation expensive but will require a good amount of maintenance to keep it in good operation in a salt water environment. It also requires a proper sizing of rode or chain and to follow proper usage procedures. I'm 72 and I can still bring up a 45 lbs CQR with 35 ft. of 1/2 inch chain hand over hand. I have lazy jacks because the boat came with them but I hate them and use 12" handles on the two speed winches. I like to drop my anchor by hand and feel when it hits bottom, let the boat drift a little and give it a good snag before I go the cockpit and back up on it with the engine. My recommendation is to just evaluate if there is a real need for one.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Very timely post for me. I have a 1984 H27 that I have been toying the idea of installing a winch /windlass. My anchors may be a bit oversized for my boat, but I'd rather have the extra hold power than take a chance of dragging the hook in a crowded anchorage. In a mud bottom my 25kg Bruce is a real chore to bring up, a winch would be a great help, also since I also plan to do much more solo, the extra help of a power windlass would be a real advantage. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated .

Jan 4, 2006
Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated .
If you need a windlass because of a bad back, YOU NEED ONE. PERIOD !

@finefurn , post several pictures of your anchor locker and let's see if any ideas pop up for installation. I don't think this is rustling (or whatever it's called) this post as it's closely related to @Tedd 's original question related to an H-260.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The 260 is not really designed for a windlass. One could simply take the anchor line back down the starboard side to a deck winch and hand winch it up. That is what my customers did after giving them that idea

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I'm with Crazy Dave - run the line back too a cockpit winch, and haut it up from there.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
"Dave" and "Crazy Dave" That would certainty be the simplest and least expensive way of doing the job. Why didn't I think of that in the fist place? On the "ToDo" list over the winter is to install a bow roller, adding a winch would be nice but not sure if it's necessary.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Costly too plus some major work with fiberglassing. The bow roller area has an aluminum plate to drill and tap but suggest drilling with a small drill bit first to ensure you do get metal chards first