A Swarm of Sailboats

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Variety is the spice of life.
Indeed! My gaggle is this wonderful bunch of friends with no other sails on the horizon. We tore up Anegada on these scooters. Sadly there are no Harley’s on Anegada, but there are a number of beach bars. Personally the social aspect of friends, food, imbibations, and jokes or lies is all I desire. I will avoid swarms, but I do so much enjoy challenging a boat on a similar tack.

49E7D19C-46B8-40B7-A252-54DFCE6B10B7.jpeg

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
I'm reading the responses in two different ways.

a) Sailing: I sail the H260 solo, with Mrs. Snow, a friend (or two) or occasionally a larger crew. Prefer sailing with my sweetie or solo: its easier to just go and "do it".
b) Cruising: either solo or with other boats. Generally like to hit the road 1 - 2X per season. This year we'll pull the boat from Lucky Peak, head down the highway and cruise the Gulf Islands for 2 weeks. During that period other Idaho boats will be joining us - all more or less on their own itinerary. Its pretty pleasant to meet or raft up at anchorages and share happy hour. Depending on folks general plans, we sometimes will make a spread sheet of each boats planned cruising route. This year, have a SISA (Southern Idaho Sailing Association) pot luck planned at Roche Harbor Aug 7 if anyone would care to join in.

However, as we are little trailer guys it's great to be able to hang with others for the crossings ie the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Victoria. Have performed 2 tows in the past 3 years so friends are good.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
AMEE flotilla of four or less boats here, each sailed solo. In the past we depart at different times with a plan to rendezvous at a particular anchorage; Clam Bay, Pirates Cove, Prevost Harbor, Annette Inlet, et al. From there we depart as a group towards our next anchorage maybe an hour or two, or three away. Once there, it's skippers night every night where we alternate boats to commiserate the days' journey over an assortment of beverages, local succulents, nibbles, well before the dinner hour arrives. Afterwards, we each retire to our own boat to rest and prepare for the leg that awaits, or spend another day at anchor. Such a pace has a worked well for our little group over the years. Many fond memories and several DVDs to bring back all the good times. Age is creeping upon our little flotilla and lately just the two of us left, it seems. Sometimes three, but the third seems to have lost interest.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I presume when the question was asked, it was about sailing among other boats and not sailing alone on the boat. Usually when you are sailing with a lot of other sailboats around, it is while racing. There are some places in the world where you will cruise with other boats, Like the Greek islands, where you sail in a flotilla when chartering. I presume most people like to sail in less congested areas or anchorages. But, if you've ever been out sailing south of the Bay bridge in Annapolis on a Sunday afternoon, you won't be alone and cannot avoid it. Fun nevertheless.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Usually when you are sailing with a lot of other sailboats around, it is while racing.
As to racing. Come on now :biggrin:- when you are sailing in the general direction of another sailboat boat aren't you "racing". Be honest now. Don't you check your sail trim and wonder why his boat is going faster than yours? Does he have a longer waterline? Is he carrying more sail? Does he have a fin keel and can point higher? Maybe I can trim in the main a little and pick up a little speed. Do you think to yourself, I'm gaining on him with just a little smile. :) Be honest now.

I prefer to sail with the Admiral, but the summer heat bothers her a lot. So, when it's hot here in SC it's solo sailing. I can start when I want, stop when I want and not worry. It's my therapy too.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Definition:
Sailboat Race:
Two sailboats on the same body of water heading in approximately the same direction.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Growing up in Sea Scouting, I was almost always sailing with a crew of fellow scouts and youngsters who were learning to hone in their skills aboard. Evenings and holidays were usually spent rafted up with other vessels in the fleet so ships could bond and make new friends. Because of this, I enjoy spending time getting to know sailors both on land and sea, and don't mind sharing a cruise with some buddies. There's something about sailing solo that makes one feel like a badass though! I probably enjoy them equally as much. As for sailing underway, I grew up racing FJs and Kirby Sonars, so I'm used to crowded situations. I still prefer to steer clear of large crowds on the water while cruising though. You just never know what kind of folks are on helm when you're in a recreational close-quarters situation.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Most of the very few times I've sailed in company with another boat was so my daughter could have friends to play with. Raising a child on a circumnavigation , one must make allowances for some of the needs of the child. But when cruising beyond the well traveled routes, I prefer to be with my family, or after the child is safely tucked away in a Swiss school, with my best friend and partner. For me sailing alone is a drag. I never get enough sleep and I don't enjoy cooking for one underway, so I tend to eat poorly.
The pic below is of a swarm of kitties, or a bother of bareboats, that arrived out of the blue in FdF anchorage within an hour or so of each other. Had to get the pic, so I went aloft and still couldn't get them all in.
catamaran city panorama sm.jpg

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Solitude. I like to sail and anchor where I can't even see buildings on the shore, let alone other boats. I'm not a misanthrope, but probably largely because I spend so little time around people!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I was first going to say I never sail with other boats. But then realize I used to race a lot and there there are lots of boats around then. But when I've been sailing recreationally, I can't recall a time when I've had the option to sail with other boats. I do prefer to sail with good friends on my boat more than alone, although as I love to sail as I do, I've sailed mostly alone. I've never had the good fortune to find a partner that likes to sail.

I'd certainly entertain sailing with another boat as a buddy boat, never having done it, I'm not sure how well it would work.

dj