Sailing a kayak?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
A small beach umbrella works well. Tie two kayaks together. One person steers and the other holds the beach umbrella.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
curios if you could take that kayak with you somehow on the sailboat?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
He could but it may end up being half the length of his boat.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
He could but it may end up being half the length of his boat.
That's true, it's 14' 6" and my boat is 30'. If I were to bring one it would be my blow molded plastic one at 10'. We usually carry a dink across the transom if we're cruising.

Ken

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If I were to bring one it would be my blow molded plastic one at 10'.
I'm thinking of towing one with a water tight cockpit cover because Dragonfly is only 19'. I imagined a kayak would tow really well.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'm thinking of towing one with a water tight cockpit cover because Dragonfly is only 19'. I imagined a kayak would tow really well.

-Will (Dragonfly)
No doubt you are right about that. It would likely tow easier than a dink for sure.
Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Scott. Perhaps the trick is to sail downwind into the current. Then you can float back... the lazy way. :beer: In hand that you have been dragging in the water from that line off the side.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Scott. Perhaps the trick is to sail downwind into the current. Then you can float back... the lazy way. :beer: In hand that you have been dragging in the water from that line off the side.
Ya know, sailing downwind in a kayak is a lot like credit card debt! It's very easy spending the money and it's all great fun … until those interest fees rack up. And boy do they rack up fast!

John, I think you are like a credit card huckster! :poke: It sounds reasonable to sail up-current and paddle down. But most likely, the wind is going to be with the current!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'm thinking paddle upwind and then the wind switches when you're ready to go downwind. Last Summer for a week the wind was on our nose and turned every time we turned. Go figure.

I still think sailing a kayak would be a blast. I really need to finish building it first though. The trouble is other projects keep getting in the way.

Ken

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Build two kayaks and connect them with detachable bridge beams and you have a catamaran. :clap:
I've thought about doing that just for rafting up on a pond so my wife and I can have a picnic lunch on the water.
Add a sail? Yes please.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Ken Cross: I think you immediately perceived that the simple square sail I use is more of a paddling downwind rest than serious sail boating. Walt: I place my inflatable kayak along one lifeline rail to carry on my boat if I don't have my dinghy. I can see over it as I usually sit on my elevated stern seat while sailing. Launching Compass Rose next week at Bodega Bay Ca.! Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
John: Had my sailboat trailer hitch ball pop loose while launching and snapped the safety line and launched itself! Use safety chain now! Didn't damage a thing except my ego. ha Chief