Head hoses

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress Yah, probably overthinking this, you caught me, it just appears on the surface to pull 1" ID hose back in where there was once 1.5" ID, but to be truthful I have not attempted this task as of yet and a relish the idea of doing it.

Mark

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The guys who were helping me (power boaters if that matters), suggested the same idea. Just run a smaller house inside of the original 1.5” hose. At least where the hose passes under the floor.

I told them the ID vs OD would probably be an issue....

But hey, they were trying to be helpful.

Jan 7, 2011
Well, I finished the hose replacement today on my O’Day 322.

To confirm, my installation had a 1.5” Trident waste hose from the toilet discharge, down through the toilet base, up into the lazzarette, 90 degree turn using a vented loop, back down through the floor of the lazzarette, across the prop shaft “tunnel” and into the holding tank. I do not have any overboard discharge.

After a lot of work, I got the hoses out and replaced.
A4B9537F-4F5E-4D81-893E-EB8D469E1792.jpeg 39E4C636-2197-4C3F-8F2B-99588EB11FDB.jpeg
As you can see, where the hose went through the floor of the lazzarette and the floor of the toilet base, they were pinched which made them hard to get out. Probably didn’t do the “flow” much good either.

I ran a new 1.5” Trident hose from the toilet to the holding tank directly, cut the length of the hose by 5 feet.

I did have to remove the water lift muffler from the prop shaft tunnel to get an eye on the hoses under the lazzarette and the toilet base. I cut both hoses off flush at the floor of the lazzarette and pulled them down from the engine room. And from there, pulled the hose from the toilet base.

Getting the new one in was not too bad. I did pull a rope through with the old hose so I had it available, but didn’t really need it. I pushed the hose in from the head, and then guided it through the prop shaft tunnel a little at a time. It would have been much easier with someone pushing the hose in from the head while I guided it on the other end. I had to move it about 5 inches at a time.

While I am in there, I pulled the pump off the PHII toilet and will rebuild it and replace the joker valve.

They she should be good as new!

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I ran a new 1.5” Trident hose from the toilet to the holding tank directly, cut the length of the hose by 5 feet.
Did you remove the vented anti-syphon loop, Tally Ho? If so, why?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's no need for a vented loop in a toilet discharge line that only flushes into a tank 'cuz a vented loop is only needed to break a siphon, which can only happen when a line is connected to a below-waterline thru-hull. A loop--UNvented--can be useful in some installations where some help from gravity is needed to get the flush to the tank.
--Peggie

Jan 2, 2017
All I know is my backflow problem was fixed when I unclogged the air vent in my anti-syphon loop. I believe the folks at O’Day put it there for a reason.

Jan 7, 2011
Did you remove the vented anti-syphon loop, Tally Ho? If so, why?
Yes I did, mostly to simplify the installation of the new hose. I contemplated whether the loop kept waste from backing up to the head (which may be the reason). I would think though that there would always be some waste water in the hose (up to the vented loop), unless the PHII pump would push the waste over the loop and there was only air in the hose.

So, I will see how this works with some stuff in the holding tank and heeling.

If I have issues with backflow to the head, I will have to go back to the original design or just raise a section of the hose. But the vented loop would make this easier I guess.

As I understand it, some 322’s don’t have the vented loop, and since I don’t have overboard discharge, I don’t really need the vented loop.

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
. I would think though that there would always be some waste water in the hose (up to the vented loop), unless the PHII pump would push the waste over the loop and there was only air in the hose.
Any manual toilet--especially the PHII--that's working anywhere near spec can move waste up to 4 vertical feet or 6 linear feet in the dry mode. So you always finish each flush with enough pumps in the dry mode to get it over the top of the loop, there shouldn't be more than about a 1/2 cup left to run back down. It should go without saying that each flush should end with about a quart of clean "rinse" water. And btw, adding a couple of beer cups of water from the sink to the bowl ahead of solids will require very few pumps to leave the bowl clean.
--Peggie

Jan 2, 2017
If I have issues with backflow to the head, I will have to go back to the original design
You might want to hold onto the U section with the air vent, Tally Ho, in case you need to do that. Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
@Tally Ho you may have seen this but I did a video a while back rebuilding the PHii pump.
Hey Sefuller,
I did watch your video a while back and marveled that Mrs Sefuller let you do that on your kitchen table! It was a very helpful video.

I rebuilt mine in my workshop, and really did not need the directions, thanks to your video.

98E0CE8A-501B-4457-917F-3A799A41B6E2.jpeg

I watched your video again today to see if I missed something, because I had an extra o-ring that I did not use. But it looks like you did too. So I won’t worry about it.

I am hoping to get out to the marina today to reinstall the pump and check her out.

Thanks for sharing the video. Very helpful indeed.

Greg

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Hey Sefuller,
I did watch your video a while back and marveled that Mrs Sefuller let you do that on your kitchen table! It was a very helpful video.
There was actually a piece of drywall covering the island where I was working :) Still, she is pretty patient with my projects...

Jan 7, 2011
There was actually a piece of drywall covering the island where I was working :) Still, she is pretty patient with my projects...
I waited until my Mrs was in bed to wash the parts in the kitchen sink....not sure my wife would be so patient or understanding :badbad:

Greg