What to use to seal below water screws?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm trying to figure out what to seal my centerboard screws with. It needs to seal it but the screws will also need to come out in the future so 5200 is out. They're countersunk 1/4" machine screws. Any recommendations?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I believe 4200 works well underwater and the screws can still be removed later. You're right about 5200. It's permanent.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
All you are looking for is a bedding compound as the screws will hold. Also these are to be screwed from inside the hull not going fully though I assume..... I would use 4000 or maybe buytl....

Greg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The screws are into the hull and only protecting the core and hull body? or are the screw through bolted and you are providing sealant to keep the water out of the boat?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'd love to hear the story behind that photo. What were they thinking?

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I first saw this pic many years ago but don't have any background. Whatever they were doing, at least it is firmly affixed ...

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Those are multipurpose screws. They'll collect seaweed for your next meal, collect lines floating in the water before it hits your prop, pre-gut your fish and even keep sharks from bumping into your hull!

So I've read that 4200 should be applied to the screw head/hole screw it down a bit, allow it to dry and then screw it in all the way? Wouldn't turning of the screw break the seal?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think they abandoned the idea of laminar flow and decided on the disturbed look.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You can right-click over the image and "search Google for image" to see that several sights have used the picture as a warning to others. Makes me think of this poster -
mistakesdemotivator.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So I've read that 4200 should be applied to the screw head/hole screw it down a bit, allow it to dry and then screw it in all the way? Wouldn't turning of the screw break the seal?
Don Casey used to promote this method of twice tightening screws. And you are correct, if you tighten it a second time the bond between the sealant and the screw is broken.

If something is through bolted and the nut can be tightened without turning the bolt, then maybe perhaps it will work.

Do counter sink the hole, this allows the caulk to form a larger "gasket" around the screw. See this article: https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Keep a small tube of 3M 4200 in your tool kit -- it's amazing how many uses on a boat it has. Does not have the over-adhesive properties of "devil's glue" (5200), and won't ruin your gelcoat like silicone.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I was anchored in the creek out from Cracker Boys yard in Ft Pierce and working in the yard. There were some guys installing new stringers in a power boat. They got all done, took it to the lift and the boat would NOT come off the trailer.. They had neatly screwed the boat to the trailer bunks, on both sides, with about 20-30 screws to a side. Caused a TAD of amusement from the yard staff :)