Mundane Stuff

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A bit quiet on this forum so thought I would inject some mundane stuff that requires periodic attention; like changing engine oil.

So went to the boat yesterday to do just that now that the sanitation hose clog got fixed and the furler drum line and new turning block got replaced. Try to replace the oil each season just to stay on top of doing that quality maintenance thing.

Very quiet in the marina yesterday and a bit chilly. Seems I was the only one there. Had a spaghetti dinner (left over from our annual church gathering) with all the trimmings while watching a vintage movie, Speed.

Had breakfast this morning, then coffee before setting about doing what I had come to the boat to do. It used to be so much easier. You know the bending down and getting up stuff inside this very spacious :banghead:engine room. Not so here. Oil filter is on the other side of the engine where I have to crawl over the engine to get at it. Then the filter is installed horizontally, so when it comes off so does quite a lot of old oil that needs to be sopped up. None of my ideas have worked to prevent this other than lots of rags to soak up the stuff.

Anyway, got the new filters on the main engine and generator, fresh Delo 400 oil and everything seems to check out okay. Belle-Vie chomping at the bit, but Christmas likely the soonest she will get back out on the water.

In the mean time I'm working on a new Cruise 2018 DVD that includes all of our experiences this past season. Really enjoy reminiscing over all our past cruises. So many memories. Tick tock, tick tock.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So many memories. Tick tock, tick tock.
That ticking sound you hear is simply the voice of gained experience.

I went out for an hour today on a delightful afternoon.

Hope we get to meet soon.

Oh, thanks for reminding me about this oil thingie...:):):)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Then the filter is installed horizontally, so when it comes off so does quite a lot of old oil that needs to be sopped up. None of my ideas have worked to prevent this other than lots of rags to soak up the stuff.
You could punch a hole in the filter near the lowest point, rotate the new hole down and catch 99% of that oil that would normally spill out the threaded end in a container.
Just a thought. :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Oh, thanks for reminding me about this oil thingie...:):):)

I thought it would have changed itself with all the leaking you’ve had :yikes::yikes:

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
With my old engine, I put a heavy duty garbage bag under the filter and spun it off into the bag. Spread the bag out to catch any drippings. Take some dripping and coat the new filter seal and spin it on. Garbage bag went to garbage immediately and very little to sop up. Pumpout was through the dipstick hole. Process for the new engine is the same, but very little oil drips out when the filter is spun off. Oil is pumped out with the on-engine pump from bottom of the pan..

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Our filter is vertical so less mess, but I would poke a hole and use the oil extractor on the filter. I’m still thinking over spaghetti trimmings, do you mean the cheese?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You eat a big spaghetti dinner, you get on a boat, you squeeze into a small place over an engine, you mop up some extra oil, it's all in bold lettering; not where I thought you were going with your story. But, I like surprise endings.

-Will (Dragonfly)

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
To change the oil filter, I cut the bottom off a plastic milk jug and trim to fit under the filter. It catches every drop and I just throw it away when I'm finished.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
If it is a Yanmar GM series an old Spam can fits perfectly. The downside is you need to eat the spam.
I know most of you are winterizing but here in Florida, the season is just beginning. The summer was very raining, red tide, and hot as you know where. Temps are now 80's and humidity is falling. Looking perfect.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was up on the boat this past weekend. Riding a Friday high from concluding negotiations for the sale of my business activities. Retirement and the freedom for some extended sailing is less than 60 days away.

Celebrated Saturday, with my sailing buddy @LeslieTroyer . He was almost as excited as I was. Oh the adventures on the horizon.

Chilly nights meant firing up the diesel heater. It made the evening and night time toasty. 32F mornings walking the docks means a step with care experience. But then the fog clears and the sun warms the boat and my spirits as I looked around at the possible tasks and decided on the ones I wanted to do.

I fitted my first of 9 gaskets around the the window frames. For over 2 years I have searched for the vinyl/rubber gasket that is between the aluminum frame and glass on my . Then I found a Canadian window manufacturer that had the exact gasket on a boat window at the Seattle boat show. Made some calls and discussed the purchase of 70 ft of gasket material. It arrived, I removed and then worked the new gasket around the window and wow... That's the way the windows were intended to look. Neat. Next step is to remove the windows that need refitting and then install the rest of the gaskets. It is not a real difficult job, but it leaves my hands sore from pressing the gaskets in between the window and frame.

Cleaned up the boat, and after a scrumptious breakfast at a new restaurant for me in Mukilteo, then Sunday went out for a 2.5 hour sail. Glorious, cruising past the US Navy Frigates at NS Everett on Veterans Day.

Unfortunately the wind died and so my return leg was under power. A bit miffed I had to dodge a couple dozen crab pots strewn across the narrow navigational channel into the Snohomish River. There ought to be a law that is enforceable.

Got back to the dock before the sun had set and the evening chill was not yet cold. Removed my Mainsail and got it stowed. Went up to the local Italian restaurant and feasted on a grilled salmon Caesar salad, fresh bread with roasted garlic olive oil and a glass of Chianti, finished off with a dollop of limon gelato. What a great day.

Final say I am joined by sailing buddy @Ken Cross for breakfast. We share the story of his boat repair and talk radios and AIS transponders. Fortunately, he had nothing immediate to do and willingly joined me on the boat to remove and fold my 155 Genoa. We made short work together that would have been a problematic task alone.

The primary task complete, I loaded the bedding and boat stuff in the car and headed home. Happy but sad. It will be 2 months before I can again feel the gentle rolling of S/V Hadley under my feet.

Oct 22, 2014
I was up on the boat this past weekend. Riding a Friday high from concluding negotiations for the sale of my business activities. Retirement and the freedom for some extended sailing is less than 60 days away.

Celebrated Saturday, with my sailing buddy @LeslieTroyer . He was almost as excited as I was. Oh the adventures on the horizon.

Chilly nights meant firing up the diesel heater. It made the evening and night time toasty. 32F mornings walking the docks means a step with care experience. But then the fog clears and the sun warms the boat and my spirits as I looked around at the possible tasks and decided on the ones I wanted to do.

I decided to fit my first of 9 gaskets around the the window frames. For over 2 years I have searched for the vinyl/rubber gasket that is between the aluminum frame and glass on my salon ports.
IMG_1455.JPG IMG_1484.JPG

Then I found a Canadian window manufacturer that had the exact gasket on a boat window at the Seattle boat show. Made some calls and discussed the purchase of 70 ft of gasket material. It arrived, I removed and then worked the new gasket around the window and wow... That's the way the windows were intended to look.
IMG_4665.JPG in black.. Will need to clean the window now.
Neat. Next step is to remove the windows that need refitting and then install the rest of the gaskets. It is not a real difficult job, but it leaves my hands sore from pressing the gaskets in between the window and frame.

Cleaned up the boat, and after a scrumptious breakfast at a new restaurant for me in Mukilteo, then Sunday went out for a 2.5 hour sail. Glorious, cruising past the US Navy Frigates at NS Everett on Veterans Day.
Sail VD.JPG Boy that new sail looks good.

Unfortunately the wind died and so my return leg was under power. A bit miffed I had to dodge a couple dozen crab pots strewn across the narrow navigational channel into the Snohomish River. There ought to be a law that is enforceable.

Got back to the dock before the sun had set and the evening chill was not yet cold. Removed my Mainsail and got it stowed. Went up to the local Italian restaurant and feasted on a grilled salmon Caesar salad, fresh bread with roasted garlic olive oil and a glass of Chianti, finished off with a dollop of limon gelato. What a great day.

Final say I am joined by sailing buddy @Ken Cross for breakfast. We share the story of his boat repair and talk radios and AIS transponders. Fortunately, he had nothing immediate to do and willingly joined me on the boat to remove and fold my 155 Genoa. We made short work together that would have been a problematic task alone.

The primary task complete, I loaded the bedding and boat stuff in the car and headed home. Happy but sad. It will be 2 months before I can again feel the gentle rolling of S/V Hadley under my feet.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Congrats on the business sale!! I sold my business of 31 years about 5 years ago and still get a glow as I drive by the old place,..... cause I'm not there ;) . People ask "but what will you do if you retire?" and the obvious answer is: "whatever I want to". enjoy it John. I'm sure you've earned it!

Dec 25, 2000
I decided to fit my first of 9 gaskets around the the window frames. For over 2 years I have searched for the vinyl/rubber gasket that is between the aluminum frame and glass on my salon ports.
Oooh, nice job on the port lights, John. Bet that felt good.

Must keep us posted on your cruising plans, etc. So many places to set off for.

Oct 22, 2014
We have a year old agreement to rendezvous for a sail and beer. I soon will be ready. Already anxious.

Dec 25, 2000
We have a year old agreement to rendezvous for a sail and beer. I soon will be ready. Already anxious.
I need to check my calendar, but any thoughts about winter cruising? Hope to spend time on the water during the colder months when anchorages have lots of openings. Number two son and is family from Texas spending Thanksgiving so that is out. Must stay in touch so as to honor that rendezvous agreement.

Oct 22, 2014
Not currently seeing a window till January. Let’s open the discussion.