Wish to Introduce Myself

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
This October I became the proud owner of the Red Dog, a 1986 Hunter 28.5.
My seamanship skills are very rusty, but my enthusiasm is not! To own a sailboat is a childhood, lifelong dream (somebody, please pinch me). I have questions bouncing around my head about this boat. I'll soon enough find the right forums and a long winter to ask them.

Thanks, y'all

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well now... Welcom Dog of Red. May you ask good questions and receive fair opinions.

Nov 4, 2018
Greetings and thank you good sir.
Of questions, I have plenty - but, I know also of a sailor's wry.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I usually post on Ask All Sailors as that gets a pretty wide view. Many questions are applicable to many boats and the more forum members who see your post the better the answers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
but, I know also of a sailor's wry.
If sailors were a timid lot, nay one would have rounded the Cape of Good Hope nor Cape Horn. For certain no one would ah tried sailing er East to West around Horn...
No... true sailors cry "More Sail" as the gale builds. "We're bound for Boston with a belly a oil and we shall beat that Brit to the harbor or else".

Yes we sailors are bold and old so bring on ye best and we'll give er a go to baffle ye mind and set your keel straight so she'll take the wind in her teeth and smile!....

Oh yes be ye warn'd there be pirates about. So be ready to Arrrggh with the best of us or ye might be thought to be a Land lubber.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Welcome, there is a bit of a learning curve for the use of this forum. You will receive various recommendations for each question, it may take a bit of filtering out by provider which are sound and which should be ignored. To add a degree of difficulty you will have to figure out the area of expertise of different providers as they may offer excellent advise on seamanship but lousy advise on engine rebuilding, etc. There is one rule, don't criticize or confront any advice given to your question; others will take care of correcting any misinformation so you may not come across as asking a question just to argue. It is tricky to diagnose a problem online without seeing it so provide as much information as you can and bear with us. I'm not exaggerating when I say you will find here answers to questions you may have never considered. Again Welcome.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome Red Dog, as you can read, you have joined an enthusiastic community and let me assure you, a profoundly helpful and experienced group, as well. Also, even a non-answer or silly suggestion will be helpful by stimulating interesting responses and keeping your post high on the latest New Posts list. So prepare yourself to be tossed about like the SS Minnow. Your crew is now mighty, brave and sure.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hello Red

You are already following the Hunter Owners sub-forum and you have already been told about the "Ask All Sailors" forum. Both are good.

Here is a list of other forums of general interest. You can follow any you wish...

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?categories/forums-for-all-owners.12/

Also, don't forget that the good folks at SBO are running a chandlery and carry a lot of Hunter parts and other sailing gear. Sometimes I have not been able to find the part I wanted on the website so I have emailed or called. So far to date, the SBO guys have always been able to find the part I needed. Good bunch of people here (no I'm not getting paid to say so :cowbell:). So look here first and help these guys keep this going.

Fair winds,

r

Nov 4, 2018
Thanks, y'all for the reply's.

I've been over to "Ask All Sailors". Poked around through some of the threads there. At this point any questions are going to be of general nature, or what I call "head scratchers". I did post over there regarding the Davis Mk25 sextant. One of those sailor things I'd like to learn to use.

". . . keeping your post high on the latest New Posts list." Sorry Will, Ive gotten caught up in that game on other forums. Post counts are a thing of the past for me.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Hello and welcome, I have a friend that owns a 285. You will love your new boat. She sails well.

Nov 4, 2018
Hello and welcome, I have a friend that owns a 285. You will love your new boat. She sails well.
That was my thought when I got a look at her. Not too big, not too small. A confidence builder. Even with my rusty knowledge and withered sailing skills, I won't hesitate to take the Red Dog out and have an enjoyable, if not learning experience, afternoon.

The PO mentioned that on a single sail she prefers the mainsail. Be interested to know your friend's thoughts.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
That was my thought when I got a look at her. Not too big, not too small. A confidence builder. Even with my rusty knowledge and withered sailing skills, I won't hesitate to take the Red Dog out and have an enjoyable, if not learning experience, afternoon.

The PO mentioned that on a single sail she prefers the mainsail. Be interested to know your friend's thoughts.
Try em one at a time and see which one leaves you with the least force on the tiller. Which is easiest to deploy and put to bed.
Ken

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My friend usually uses the headsail alone when the wind pipes up. I never asked but I think he prefers to do that because he never rigged his main with a reef line.

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
Welcome aboard, I stepped down to a 280 from larger & older boat a few years back.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Hi Red,

I have a 280, love the boat. Please feel free to reach out with questions and thoughts.

Joe