Name says it all!

May 24, 2012
Columbia Sabre 32 Miami
Hi.
After my 2nd Sailboat Restoration let me help you out.

1. Don't tear everything out up front My first boat the wood was rotted, the Bulkheads to the cabinets.

2. Go to www.sailrite.com and order 'Scrim' YouTube it. This is thin plastic sheets that proved a life saver and a huge $$ savingss Cut patterns out of everything you can, this way you can save on wood costs. Sailboats have curves. Get some blue painters tape and a permanent marker and make templates.

3. Get a good Orbital and Mouse Sander. I have Ryobi 8" and it has proven a work horse. I bought a Black and Deck Mouse Sander and it has proven its worth also.

4. Tools at the least: Jig Saw, Sanders, and a good Wet Dry Vacum.

I don't have any pictures of your project, but take one bit of advice, don't try to make it perfect. Think of a 'Phase 1' to get her in the water.

There will be ton's of Sanding. Get a cheap painters suit at Home Depot/Lowes, a few pairs of gloves, a professional mask, and eye protection. This saves hours of itching.

I have had great success on uscomposites for my Fiberglass. They are a great low cost place to get all your fiberglassing needs.

I will be glad to share anything I can to help you. I just finished a 4 month work project on my 30' Sidelmann Sailboat. I learned a lot and in just 2 weeks she will be out on the water.

Feel free to contact me at miami.treasurehunter@gmail.com

Like the others above, Research 'Sailboat Restoration' there is a wealth of information. Don Casey is a good Primer.

This is a labor of love, a Journey as everyone here will tell you.

Feel free to drop me a line, I will help where I can

Kelly
Miami, FL

Nov 9, 2009
catalina 25 wing keel rutledge tn.
Welcome I read in Practical Sailor that Borax is good for getting rid of mold. If you leave a clean film (don't rinse) the Borax will actually inhibit the mold colony from re-growing something bleach will not do. Just my two cents for now.
First thing I would do is to see if there is water leaking into the boat when it rains. If water is coming into the boat you will need to check those places for soft spots. I would not replace wood until I was certain that it would be protected from the elements and find out why it rotted in the first place. Open the boat up every chance you get to let fresh air circulate through her. Research sealants for different applications. I bought two Don Casey books from World Books online for $12.00 each. Used books will work just fine. Keep any water from coming in first. Join a sailing club in your area and you can meet a lot of knowledgeable sailors.

Nov 9, 2009
catalina 25 wing keel rutledge tn.
First thing I would do is to see if there is water leaking into the boat when it rains. If water is coming into the boat you will need to check those places for soft spots. I would not replace wood until I was certain that it would be protected from the elements and find out why it rotted in the first place. Open the boat up every chance you get to let fresh air circulate through her. Research sealants for different applications. I bought two Don Casey books from World Books online for $12.00 each. Used books will work just fine. Keep any water from coming in first. Join a sailing club in your area and you can meet a lot of knowledgeable sailors.
I forgot one more thing. If the boat has had water inside, check the condition of the keel bolts. Keep the bilge dry.

Apr 17, 2014
laguna yacht 24 windrose Toledo
google or youtube MOLD KILLER, you need to kill the mold or it will grow back. I find YOUTUBE has a learning video most everything staining, cleaning, whatever you might need. one thing at a time you need to stay sane .

Jun 14, 2012
Hunter 37C Freeport, FL
TLC plus blood sweat and tears . . .

If there is mold on the hard parts (wood or fiberglas), the mold is also likely impregnated into the hull liner (cloth liner on the inside of the hull). I peeled and replaced the liner in my '84 H37C. A lot of work, but I wanted to be sure I got the mold spoors out of the boat.

If the wood to be refinished is teak (some probably at any rate), wear long sleeved shirt and try to keep the dust from sanding both out of your lungs and off your skin (teak will really cause some itching).

Take your time, don't worry, be happy (reggae helps) stay hydrated (beer sometimes, gatorade is better), relax and enjoy. Focus on getting the boat sailable. Then you can enjoy the search for the balance of wind and water (oriental philosophy of feng shui) on your boat, even while working to restore it to please the eye.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Welcome to the site....

There is a lot of good information that comes out of this place. The only bad question is one that hasn't been asked.

Good luck. Sailing isn't a hobby, it is a way of life. Most don't get it but those that do are part of your new extended family.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
As you take things apart photograph the original condition/position and label the parts. Keep the screws and other small parts in labeled bags. That will make replacing easier and the before and after pictures will astound you and any people who doubted your comittment.

Saving any wooden parts for use as patterns for the replacements is easier than measuring for new wooden parts.

Best Wishes as you enjoy the project. By the Way.....don't expect to be done in a few weeks, unfortunately.

May 3, 2014
Bayliner Buchaneer 27 Clear Lake
So overwhelmed since I don't even know half the terminology yet but I will get there. My sweetie went and worked on cleaning the outside a bit after work. The inside is so dirty I don't know where to start. There is carpet on the walls that is White! Or used to be. It needs to come off but I have no idea what lays beneath. Or what to put up. More research begins.

ForumRunner_20140505_200807.jpg

Sep 27, 2012
beneteau 331 Tin Can Bay Australia
Clueless

Good morning! I just want too apologize up front. You see I saw an add in Craigslist for a deal to good to be true, but it was true. So I am now the owner of a 27 ft Buchaneer. I have never owned a boat and bless her heart she sat for 3 years untouched. She is a hot mess. Mold and filth and bugs. She will be a labor of love to get her back to where she deserves to be. So, I will probably be bombarding you all with questions. My boyfriend has owned sailboats but never in this condition. Wish me luck!!
Hi Clueless, I have not seen a deal too good to be true with a yacht yet, so I do hope that yours is and you have many happy days on the water. But the great thing is you are now a yachty and the best of luck with her.

May 3, 2014
I'm just down the road from you at Watergate and have done a lot of electrical work on my past two boats (Catalina 25 and now an O'day 28). If you have any questions about your electrical system or need someone to look it over contact me.
Thanks! We got confused today when we found a hidden throttle. No inboard motor. Odd?

May 3, 2014
I'm just down the road from you at Watergate and have done a lot of electrical work on my past two boats (Catalina 25 and now an O'day 28). If you have any questions about your electrical system or need someone to look it over contact me.
I have 2 coworkers there!

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Thanks! We got confused today when we found a hidden throttle. No inboard motor. Odd?
Are you sure it's a throttle and not a bilge pump?

Keep working that sweat equity. When I bought my boat it might not have been as dirty, but with every minute of work I put into her she became more and more "my boat".

Mar 19, 2010
Hunter 1997 376 Ventura, CA
Welcome aboard I use twenty mule team borax on mold and it is true the mold will not return. Have fun I purchased a repo and have been enjoying working on it. The more you learn about your boat the better you are overcoming problems
Good Luck
Gary

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase of your new project. I too am in clear lake area so if both of you need an extra set of hands, send me a PM and I will give you contact details. Good luck and don't forget to take it out and play every now and then.

May 3, 2014
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase of your new project. I too am in clear lake area so if both of you need an extra set of hands, send me a PM and I will give you contact details. Good luck and don't forget to take it out and play every now and then.
Thanks! We are taking her out for the first time Saturday morning. New outboard and sails so hoping for the best!

Feb 3, 2014
Beneteau 32s5 Cork, Ireland
Congratulations on owning a hole in the water in which one channels money. We too recently bought a Beneteau, however not our first boat. It is great to have the boat looking good, but having it working correctly, especially when it comes to crew and boat safety should be first on your list. Having a reliable motor, electric system and sailing stuff (like the rigging and sails), is in my opinion, most important. Our boat is 25 years old and has a diesel engine. Having clean diesel fuel is paramount, which means having a clean fuel tank and filters. My first job was to remove and clean the fuel tank (sure enough there was a bunch of gunk in the bottom of the tank). When you use the engine with a dirty fuel tank in rough seas, the gunk gets stirred up and can cause the engine to fail. And this is not the time for engine failure! The second job was to ensure the bilge is clean (from bits and pieces in the bilge as they can clog the bilge pump) and the bilge pumps work. A good visual inspection of the rigging (for little cracks) and mast will go a long way to ensure the mast will stay up. Go over all the safety equipment and ensure everything is working and in date ( check the dates on the fire extinguishers and flairs). Going through the bones of the boat will help you become familiar with her and how to manage the issues when they pop up. Next is the fun bit, learn and get familiar with the boat on how she motors and sails. After a season you will have more confidence in her and know how she handles in different conditions. Enjoy!!

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Thanks! We are taking her out for the first time Saturday morning. New outboard and sails so hoping for the best!
This is really important to do.

Make her safe. Focus on projects that make her seaworthy first. Then keep sailing her while you make her pretty.

People who rip everything out and try to make a boat perfect before sailing her often get discouraged. You need those nice days on the water to remember why you bought a boat ! :D

Oh and you WILL make mistakes the first few times you go out. Don't worry about it we've all been there. Have fun, laugh at your mistakes and share a bottle of wine while the sun sets when you get back to the dock.

Best of luck with her