Bow Thruster Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Getting ready to choose a bow thruster,the admiral says she wants one so it must indeed happen
So far have seen Vetus,Lewmar and sideshift
We have a 42foot boat
Anyone have experience recently on this purchase?
Looked at the Lewmar185tt looks OK
Any pitfalls to avoid while installing?

As always any input would be great
Thanks
Gary

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I have a factory installed Max Power thurster in my Beneteau 37-works well and looks like a really robust unit but I'm not sure about the viability of its parent company, Navimo, which went into receivership and where the subsidiary has ended up. http://www.max-power.com/

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
bow thrusters

had a look at the external mount one
I still favor the tunnel internal design units
Any downside to the tunnel design?
Thanks
Gary

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Seriously? On a Beneteau First? Sell it and get an IP or similar. The bow isn't shaped for it, and it ruins the resale. Like putting mudflaps on a Porsche.

Jul 4, 2012
Seriously? On a Beneteau First? Sell it and get an IP or similar. The bow isn't shaped for it, and it ruins the resale. Like putting mudflaps on a Porsche.
Lmao! No no no.....mudflaps are not good! Especially on a Porsche.....

ForumRunner_20121210_211748.jpg

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Gunni

Yes I hear you loud and clear
No I don't want to sell it
Yes I don't want to interfere with speed
No I don't want to sail alone
Yes if the admiral is behind the wheel she wants a thruster
No I don't want to bastardize a first 42
Yes plan to sail in it until we are gone
No thruster will not interfere will painkiller consumption rates
Yes I think I know now what I will do next

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Gunni

CY, will you be doing the install yourself?

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
The disadvantages of an internal bow thruster that I can see as an aftermarket:

1.) Big hole and fiberglass lamination required. Not a real do it yourself job.
2.) Takes up room internally
3.) Can run for short periods at a time to minimize motor heat build up.
4.) Noisy

If I were to add one it would be the extern model.

1.) Do it yourself project
2.) Doesn't take up a lot of internal room
3.) Can run longer since the motor is cooled by the water.
4.) You can mount further forward.
5.) Small 2" hole to plug

It's your choice, good luck .

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
After reading of some failures at sea, I would want the thruster contained within a waterproof compartment.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
The challenge of an internal unit in a boat such as yours is that the thruster propeller has to be well below the water or it will draw air into the tube and cavitate. Sidepower (the brand I have and very common) recommends that the top of the tube be at least 3/4 x the tube diameter below the water. More is much better. In a fine bow and light displacement boat it get's quite challenging to find a wide enough spot in the bow for the thruster motor that is also low enough and far enough forward to work well.

The Sidepower manual is online at their site. It contains drawings and measurements that you should look at before going the internal route with any brand.

Carl

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Gunni

Don't know if it applies, but putting a real rub rail, with solid-back stainless steel strike on our Beneteau made all the docking anxiety go away. If she wants to slide it down the piles, no problem Mon.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Small boat bow thrusters are one of those bits of equipment that are quite perishable; I've been told about 100 hours of usefulness. When they do quit, it will usually be in a situation where you really need it, so please get your wife to learn how to operate the boat without one before you install one. Learn to use spring lines and the vessel's natural "walk" in reverse to get you into the slip or alongside a dock. She may find that she'd like to spend the money elsewhere.
I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion above about the rub rails; I don't consider a boat without a rub rail to be a true cruising boat!

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Learn your prop walk .

Put the engine in gear at neutral the boat goes sideways. Want to go straight, just burst the power.

An old salt in our club can make the boat dance around by just the engine control.

You can't compensate sea-person-ship with gadget.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Rub Rail

Gunni
Your suggestion for the rub rail is looking like the best option was leaning that way anyways
Where did you get yours?

Admiral's knees are getting bad so we will be doing a role reversal and she doesn't want to be the first to damage the goods
As always this is the best place to get educated advice

Thanks
Gary

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Try Beneteau

Gunni
Your suggestion for the rub rail is looking like the best option was leaning that way anyways
Where did you get yours?
Beneteau makes a rub rail that can be purchased directly from them. It is a starboard strip against the hull that is overlaid with a stainless trim piece. Looks reallly good and is functional as described above.

Here is the link to the Beneteau spare parts website. You will need to set yourself up with a user name & password. Once you get in there search COMMON PARTS for RUB RAIL. (Part #112984)

http://spareparts.beneteauusa.com

Good luck.
DH

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Beneteau makes a rub rail that can be purchased directly from them. It is a starboard strip against the hull that is overlaid with a stainless trim piece. Looks reallly good and is functional as described above.

Here is the link to the Beneteau spare parts website. You will need to set yourself up with a user name & password. Once you get in there search COMMON PARTS for RUB RAIL. (Part #112984)

http://spareparts.beneteauusa.com

Good luck.
DH
DH, I am afraid that you have to sign in or sign up for this site. Can you do a screen print of the part?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Sorry - I am not sure how it mounts. I only know about it because a friend has one on his 423. The Beneteau dealer mounted it when he bought the boat.

DH

Status
Not open for further replies.