Whisker Pole for C320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2012
Catalina 320 Manly
Hi, I'm a new Catalina owner and new to this forum so please forgive me if this question has been raised before. I'm looking at setting up a whisker pole on my Catalina 320, hull #861 and was wondering how others may have done this. I'm looking to use the pole only in light winds (5-10 knots) as when the wind is up sailing wing to wing goes OK without a pole.

My main concern is that when my headsail, a 135% genoa, is fully unfurled, the clew will be aft of the mast and any whisker pole attached to the mast would be extended between the shrouds. Is this OK or should the pole always be forward of all the shrouds??

This will determine what sort of pole I need - whether I can use an extendable pole to accommodate lengths at various angles to the mast or whether I just get a fixed length pole for setting forward of the shrouds.

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated.:confused:

Nov 6, 2012
Catalina 320 Manly
Good video

http://sailing.wonderhowto.com/how-to/use-whisker-pole-190337/

Watching this video may give you some help...the pole stays forward of the shrouds.... the mast ring should be on a track so you can adjust the pole height.
Thanks Joe for your response. I've watched that video - does a great job of showing how it should be done. I always thought pole should go forward of the shrouds but some comments I've read on other forums talk about connecting the pole to shrouds or lifelines - sounds dodgy to me.

Thing with the C320 is the fwd lower shroud meets the deck well forward of the mast so the pole will be quite a way forward. I'm thinking I may make the pole a rigid 'J' length (12' 4' on my boat) and that way it would work as a regular spinnaker pole if I needed it in the future (currently have asymm kite with tack on the bow). Mast ring on a track would also better service a spinnaker pole.

I'll just have to see how the genoa looks at the end of a 12' 4" pole forward of the shrouds - I imagine I'll need to furl in quite a lot of it.

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 320 Middle River, MD
I've used my 10' extendable pole lots of time with a 150 and no trouble. I extend it to 12-13'. My ring is fixed. If you use a topping lift and downhaul, you should have no problem. Watch the video.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
There are lot of 'don't do this' considerations applicable to this reply. I sail very shorthanded, so do not consider this reply as much a recommendation as, it is simply what I do and what works well for me.

We have a Forespar adjustable pole that I use on long downwind runs in very light air. We also have a spinnaker ring that I use on the forward genoa tracks on the cabin top as a keeper ring for the spinnaker and main halyards when they not in use and I use it for the whisker pole when we do use it (rarely).

I am unwilling to add control lines or a mast mounted track...that's just me.

I attach the inboard end of the pole to the ring located in between the shrouds. I bungee a towel to the pole at the shrouds to minimiize scarring to the anodizing as it seems that contact of the pole with the shrouds is inevitable. I have an old vang that I keep aboard that I attach to the clew of the 135, the bow cleat and adjust the line in the clam cleat to control how far aft the the pole end will go. The genao sheet controls the forward movement and I hang a bucket of water on the pole end to use as a downhaul.

I siimply don't mess with the pole except when I'm feeling lazy going downwind on long straight runs in the lightest air. Generally, I find that we make better time headed downwind on the C-320 by gybing back and forth on a broad reaches. In heavier air we use the 135 and in lighter air we have an asymetrical spinaker that simply won't fly properly dead down wind.

YMMV,

Nov 6, 2012
Catalina 320 Manly
I've used my 10' extendable pole lots of time with a 150 and no trouble. I extend it to 12-13'. My ring is fixed. If you use a topping lift and downhaul, you should have no problem. Watch the video.
Thanks for this Graycruiser. I'm guessing that you are using a Forespar LC10-18 and are happy to set it from mast to clew going between the shrouds. As shown in the video and as you suggest, using the correct topping lift, down haul and even a foreguy, should stop the pole from causing trouble.

Looks like I will end up with a fixed length pole, 12' 4", which I will either set forward of the shrouds or between them with the right lines attached. Really just want to have an simple set up for cruising - like yourself, I don't do a lot of racing.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I have a forespar extendable carried mounted to the stanchions and a ring on a short piece of track on the mast. I have not used it since getting my assy spinnaker.
Where would you carry a 12 ft pole and wouldn't it be difficult to work on the foredeck ?

Nov 6, 2012
Catalina 320 Manly
I have a forespar extendable carried mounted to the stanchions and a ring on a short piece of track on the mast. I have not used it since getting my assy spinnaker.
Where would you carry a 12 ft pole and wouldn't it be difficult to work on the foredeck ?
Good point Ted. I'll be on the boat tomorrow and will look at how a 12' pole might sit on the deck. Even though it is only 2' longer than a Forespar 10-18, I definitely need to consider how it will be stored and working it on the foredeck. Will also check the potential weight.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks Joe for your response. I've watched that video - does a great job of showing how it should be done. I always thought pole should go forward of the shrouds but some comments I've read on other forums talk about connecting the pole to shrouds or lifelines - sounds dodgy to me.

Thing with the C320 is the fwd lower shroud meets the deck well forward of the mast so the pole will be quite a way forward. I'm thinking I may make the pole a rigid 'J' length (12' 4' on my boat) and that way it would work as a regular spinnaker pole if I needed it in the future (currently have asymm kite with tack on the bow). Mast ring on a track would also better service a spinnaker pole.

I'll just have to see how the genoa looks at the end of a 12' 4" pole forward of the shrouds - I imagine I'll need to furl in quite a lot of it.
You need to reconsider your geometrical perception of what the rig will look like.

The farther outboard you push the clew of your sail... the farther forward it will move... especially if you want a full, curved shape. In addition, the shrouds slope back to the mast... the pole will connect 3 or 4 feet above deck level, maybe higher depending on clew height... so it's unlikely you'll have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.