Beneteau First 30 Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2010
Hunter 326 Bronte Outer Harbour
Does anyone know much about the new First 30. I have been looking at one but have heard rumours that they do not sail to their IRC or PHRF ratings. There is one in our local fleet that has really been putting in dissapointing results.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Does anyone know much about the new First 30. I have been looking at one but have heard rumours that they do not sail to their IRC or PHRF ratings. There is one in our local fleet that has really been putting in dissapointing results.

Any feedback would be helpful.
OK I'll bite,

It's really two questions.

Regarding IRC, it's seemly true that the boat does not sail as fast as it measures. It's does not make the boat 'slow' per se, but it will get out corrected. It's JuanK's first IRC rated boat I think. There was talk that if the boat ended up a .96 or below it would be OK. It came out at 1.01 and that faster by a bit and that hurts.

Bruce Farr did most of the highly regarded .7 series boats and he has a knack of getting boats to sail AND RATE well. Along with good handicap racing, both the first 40 and 40.7 have won the sidney-Hobart race IRC corrected.

PHRF is another story. Over time the rating should adjust to match the boats actual on-water performance, but that will take a few years. The boat cannot fly overlapping headsails, and that can kill you in PHRF.

The boat looks like it was born to reach. Two around-the-world type guys behind the design, who can blame it?? ;-)

Personally I love it. It's like a big first 260, which we have and love.

Jun 15, 2010
Hunter 326 Bronte Outer Harbour
Thanks for biting;

I had a sail on the First 30 and it really is a great boat. Very well laid out for short handed sailing, fun and pretty darn quick. But the feedback is conclusive and it definately doesn't sail to its IRC rating. Too bad really, because I plan to enter a few IRC races. Im also not going to buy and wait until the PHRF catches up with reality, although our local First 30 owners are doing their best (through the results) to ensure the PHRF is adjusted. Would be a great boat in a couple of years on the used market, if any are around.

I have settled on looking at the Archambault 31.

Cheers.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I don't like to do organized racing, but I do love to go fast and I've been eyeing that boat for quite a while! Two questions... can it be sailed well single handed and does it come in any other color than PINK?!?!?

Nov 8, 2010
I don't like to do organized racing, but I do love to go fast and I've been eyeing that boat for quite a while! Two questions... can it be sailed well single handed and does it come in any other color than PINK?!?!?
Its actually a PERFECT boat for single handing, partially due to the tiller. Although the AP will drive a lot (and you can and I'd suggest a below-decks AP), tiller boats are designed to be steered sitting down, unlike a wheel. A big deal when you are soloing.

Also,
The non-overlapping headsail means no going forward to change out sails, just reef the main from within the cockpit.

If she was mine and I soloed a lot, I'd:

Full-batten main with tides track and lazy jacks and bag
107 jib on a roller
mount the available bowsprit
asym on a top-down furler
code 0 on a top-down furler

Below-deck AP.

I'd take that boat anywhere.

The one I was on was white. And I bet it would look KILLER in dark blue.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks for biting;

I had a sail on the First 30 and it really is a great boat. Very well laid out for short handed sailing, fun and pretty darn quick. But the feedback is conclusive and it definately doesn't sail to its IRC rating. Too bad really, because I plan to enter a few IRC races. Im also not going to buy and wait until the PHRF catches up with reality, although our local First 30 owners are doing their best (through the results) to ensure the PHRF is adjusted. Would be a great boat in a couple of years on the used market, if any are around.

I have settled on looking at the Archambault 31.

Cheers.
All good points. Good luck looking into the A31. Its a very nice boat. Has SWMBO seen the head yet??

'^)

Status
Not open for further replies.