'69 Irwin 27 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2012
Well, I just bought my first sailboat, a 27' 1969 irwin sloop. She's in good condition, but needs a centerboard winch. Right now, the centerboard wire is secured aft of the cockpit, with the CB in the up position. My question is this, what type of which should I install, and where should I install it?

Feb 2, 2012
N/A N/A N/A
Well, I just bought my first sailboat, a 27' 1969 irwin sloop. She's in good condition, but needs a centerboard winch. Right now, the centerboard wire is secured aft of the cockpit, with the CB in the up position. My question is this, what type of which should I install, and where should I install it?
Hello tothesea,
I don't have the answer you are looking for as I'm trying to purchase a 1981 28.5 and am having a hell of a time finding out any info.
Even this forum has not been helpful, have you tried any other resource?

Cheers,
Ron

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Here are some owners groups:
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/irwinsailboats/ http://www.irwinyachts.com/ http://www.irwinsailors.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irwinsailboats/

On the winch, I'd get one with the internal clutch rather than just a racheting pawl like a cheap trailer winch. I had the cheap type on my Catalina 22 and my hand slipped on the handle once. Hit my arm so hard I thought it might be broken.
With the clutched types if you let go it just stops and doesn't spin freely.
Very cool boat BTW, I'm a big fan of old style boats. Not only were they built a lot better, they look saltier and don't just blend in with the crowd.

Aug 25, 2012
@Kerry, I've searched all over the internet, and I'm usually pretty resourceful when it comes to finding obscure things online, but I haven't been able to find anything of use. I'll keep searching though.
@Merlin, thanks for the advice, I've got a contact with friends in a marine shop, and he can get me good deals, so I'll take a look next time I make it to the marina. I love the older boats too, they have more character (as well as more problems). I'm really not attracted to shiny new boats at all.

Scurvy

Oct 2, 2012
Sabre ex: 28 MK 1 , ex: Albin Vega 27' Falmouth, ME
I may come into a 1969 27'er myself. Right now she needs a better Centerboard. The one she has now is made of wood to spec, but is too buoyant and doesn't drop all the way down. Any suggestions on how to cure this problem are greatly appreciated. I have not taken ownership of the craft yet, but would like to know what I am getting myself into with this. Frankly, it doesn't sound like it will be too difficult a project but I have eaten those words far too many times to count in my sailing history! :)

Thanks
Chris

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I would be very wary of a centerboard pinion & bearing on a Irwin that is so old. My 2 cents is that you should remove the centerboard & inspect the bearing pinion for corrosion, which after 40+ years is probably trashed from corrosion. No offense, but Irwin's were not known for being exactly robust or well made in their construction process. Don't take my word for it. Review Irwin's from Pro. surveyors such as Jack Hornor. Buyer beware. But honestly, I would be suspicious of any boat's hardware after that kinda age. If the cable & winch are bad, how do you think the rest of it that's bathed in corrosive water will look like? Centerboards are known for falling out from beneath sailboats when they get old. I had to rebuild a swing keel that I used to own & it was a 1985 model Catalina. My 2 c.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Comparing a vintage keel centerboard and a mass produced swing keel is like comparing apples to crowbars.
Any neglected boat will fall apart but the newer mass production boats do it a LOT easier and a LOT sooner.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Ah, I believe that Irwin was a mass production sailboat builder, & not one of the better ones. Their reputation speaks for itself. But time is rarely kind to any old boat, swing keels in particular.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Yeah, but in the early years like the PO's, they built dozens of boats per year and like most of these old companies, the quality was much better than what came later.
I've known people with 37s, 46s and a couple of 52's that never had problems with the quality of these boats. But these were cruising boats and built heavy, could be a big difference with their lighter boats.
The bad press might be like with my Gulfstar 41, where she had beautiful lines, sailed very well and was built strongly but lacked in real craftsmanship in the joinery and such. Great boat but it looked like winnebago built the interior.
Swing keels are very different from keel centerboards and your right, if ignored they will cause problems for the owners.

Nov 29, 2012
Irwin 27 Chesapeake
Re: winch location

Original winch location was in lazarette at stern. Crank could be inserted and used from cockpit or from inside lazarette (either side). I still have my original and need to replace it and the pulleys. Let me know what you find.

Aug 25, 2012
Can you post a pic of your winch setup? I need to install a new system, after I replace the cable going from the board to the delrin rod.

Nov 29, 2012
Irwin 27 Chesapeake
Irwin Winch

Unfortunately I am 1.5 hours away from boat.
I can snap a pick and send it next time I am down there. Not sure when that will be, though.

Can you post a pic of your winch setup? I need to install a new system, after I replace the cable going from the board to the delrin rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.